Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAKY ROOF

Options
  • 20-08-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi guys, just a quick question, I have just noticed water damaged in my master bedroom, its not near the water tank in the attic, so it def has to be water coming in from the roof and leaking down, the house is less than 2 years old, am I covered with my 10 year home bound or will i have to pay to get it repaired myself. The builder was suppose to call down today, but after waiting all day, there is still no sign of him. Even though at 11am he said he would be down in a half an hour, now he is refussing to answer my phone calls.

Anyway am I covered or will i have to pay out to get it repaired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

car wrote: »
    Hi guys, just a quick question, I have just noticed water damaged in my master bedroom, its not near the water tank in the attic, so it def has to be water coming in from the roof and leaking down, the house is less than 2 years old, am I covered with my 10 year home bound or will i have to pay to get it repaired myself. The builder was suppose to call down today, but after waiting all day, there is still no sign of him. Even though at 11am he said he would be down in a half an hour, now he is refussing to answer my phone calls.

Anyway am I covered or will i have to pay out to get it repaired?

Im not 100% but I think homebond will only deal with stucture defect and even then only pay for some of the work to be done.

the driving rain caused a good few leaks in our houses. Water was driving so hard it was going up tile and behind lead.

go up to your attic and lift the insulation . this should help dry everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Thanks , i will get my other half, to pop up to the attic and check it later, it annoys me though when a builder says they will pop down in a half an hour and then never turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Builders, Plumbers and Electricians NEVER turn up when they are supposed to! I rang a plumber in May......am still waiting and I live in a small town!!!

As I deal with builders in my job, yes, the driving rain could and more than likely did cause this problem. Also I heard of a case recently where someone got their roof powerwashed to rid it of moss but the chappie who did it directed the hose upwards, instead of downwards......daaah and hence, they had leaks all over their attic. Slates and tiles, while they are nailed down, there are also gaps to allow airflow so this is a solvable problem. I know of a guy whose magnificent house is elevated on a picturesque site. However, when it rains, and this house is about 15 years old, he still gets rain and depending on the direction the wind is blowing, he will always get a puddle on his kitchen floor...... not very big but it is just the way things are.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavours and definitely lifting the insulation to dry out will help and with a bit of luck, the rain will not hit you again for a long time! In any case, we are coming into the Autumn and Winter which is always nowadays, less wet!!!:rolleyes:

car wrote: »
    Thanks , i will get my other half, to pop up to the attic and check it later, it annoys me though when a builder says they will pop down in a half an hour and then never turn up.

Advertisement