Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starter Motor Problems

Options
  • 20-08-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey

I have a 97 ford fiesta I think the starter motor has gone, I've tried to starting it but it won't unless it's push started. Does that sound like a starter motor problem?????? The battery appears to be fine.

Does anyone know a good place around Templeogue or Tallaght to get a starter motor and how much do they cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

If the engine turns over when you are trying to start the car then the starter motor is fine.
    If its just clicking when you turn the key or nothing happening then it is the starter motor.
    Normally if there is a problem with compression, getting a spark into the cylinders, fuel pump not working - the car would not start at all really.

More detail on how it performs would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is it turning over at all?

Any sounds, clicks even.

More detail would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fiesta97

It start off sounding like a dead battery then when I try to turn it over 2 or 3 times a ticking noise starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Do the full headlights and everything electrical work without struggling? If so I'd say it is the starter motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

fiesta97 wrote: »
    It start off sounding like a dead battery then when I try to turn it over 2 or 3 times a ticking noise starts.

You mean it turns over slowly first and then just clicks. If so, it could be battery or starter. Does it charge afer driving it? Do electrics work fully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The ticking noise is a classic sign of a flat battery. The starter solenoid gets enough voltage to pull in and energise the starter motor. Then when the starter motor load hits the battery the voltage drops to near zero, and the solenoid releases. The battery voltage then recovers enough to pull the solenoid back in, and the cycle repeats until you release the key.

Get a pair of jump leads and try to jump start the car before condemning the starter motor. If it starts drive it for 30 mins or so to charge the battery. If the car won't restart, then either the battery is knackered or the alternator is not charging it.

The first time it happened a friend hooked a portable replacement battery up to it and it still wouldn't start.
    The lights and the radio are working fine. Once it's been push started it goes great for a day or two.
    It only passed the NCT in May:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Could be the ignition coil? I had one go in a Sierra many moons ago and after a lot of faffing about with the starter motor discovered that it was actually the coil that was gone.

I think I just bring to the garage ASAP it sounds like it could be a few things.
    Does anyone know a good garage around Templegue, Greenhills Tallaght?

Advertisement