Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving Plumbers!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 matt925

311 wrote: »
    Yeah us plumbers are thieves.

We don't give any money to the revenue or pay our monthly accounts ,paye .
    We get up early in the morning to listen to people whinge about things for our own benefit.
    We get up into peoples attics ,so we can see what their fake christmas tree look like in july.

Some of us even enjoy unblocking ****e filled toilets
    and listenin to ya lie about "not" turning any of the valves in the hot press :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Just remember you can live without i.t guys and even electricity but ya cant live without water or a place to take a ****! so give us a break and some well deserved respect!!!!!!!!! and we get paid feck all for years on apprentice rates so we deserve our rates when we qualify!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

matt925 wrote: »
    give us a break and some well deserved respect!!!!!!!!! and we get paid feck all for years on apprentice rates so we deserve our rates when we qualify!

Now I remember why I bought 2 monkey wrenches , a can of Boss Red and a roll of PTFE tape last year ....they cost a grand total of 10% of a plumbers standard call out fee and there will be no excuses and bollox for being late all the time either .

A good piece of business that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sponge bob ,you cannot tar plumbers with the same brush.
    If I was to add up everything that I carry with me all the time ,it would come close to about €40k.
    Thats breaking down drills ,machinery ,tools ,fittings etc.
    Thats just so when someone like yourself calls me ,you get your moneys worth for the hour call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 matt925

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Now I remember why I bought 2 monkey wrenches , a can of Boss Red and a roll of PTFE tape last year ....they cost a grand total of 10% of a plumbers standard call out fee and there will be no excuses and bollox for being late all the time either .

A good piece of business that :)

so you went out and bought a set of monkey wrenches too bad you will never learn how to use them , so put your fisher price tools away and leave the plumbing to the qualified tradesmen . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That of course is another problem. I've encountered many people in the building and allied trades in Ireland over the years, and a hell of a lot of them had no qualifications to the jobs that they were being paid for.

The house that I'm living in was shoddily built in the late 1970s. The place had to be re-wired twenty years ago, because several parts of the circuit didn't work. The central-heating was a shambles and obviously installed by someone who didn't have a clue. I don't think that the calculation of BTUs, or any other calculations got used. They obviously bought a few random radiators from a local supplier and strapped them to various walls. Needless to say, this "building" was cheap, so liking a challenge, we bought it.

I'd like to think that there aren't any of these cowboys left anymore, but a few of them must still be kicking around - giving their fully-qualified colleagues a bad name.

There a plenty of cowboys around have no fear especially during the building boom. My father is a retired electrician spent over 35years at it. Still gets calls from local people to fix some other peoples work among the common things he has to fix is:

trace electrical cables from UFH thermostats as they are turning on the incorrect zones.

Pulling up hardwood floors to get to electrical underfloor heating element as the individual who laid the floor used conceled nails for the T&G floor board and took no notice of the heating element underneath thus driving nails through it

The best one I have heard is the owner of the company I work for has solar and geo thermal heating. The professional company that installed the solar wired the solar controller incorrectly. It basically worked inreverse taking the heat out of the house and on to the roof!

• Advertisement

311 wrote: »
    Sponge bob ,you cannot tar plumbers with the same brush.

Painting analogy , mmmm.

Don't you worry 311 , I would PM you if I were stuck unlike Matt925 who seemingly believes that his future lies in insulting his customer base .

I had to add another thermostat zone and solenoid to my heating this year because the bollox who did it originally have one thermostat zone for the entire house and yes I did get the professional in to integrate and test them in the boiler house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Coolaboola ,I can understand some people have trouble with plumbers. Most of the big problems I see is where a builder has his own "plumber" and all sorts of carry on goes on.
    Most new builds that are organised by the owner/occupier are done much better ,because there are actual tradesmen doing the work as appose to labourers.

I don't think all builders are like this ,but the ones that do this carry on are the ones who give everyone a bad name.

Same as any other job 311, if you have a good rep you get work and if you are crap nobody wants to know you save at the height of a bubble .

Around here I know the plumbers I would call and those I would never call , I even have their numbers stored just in case.

Then again i know how to turn everything off from the road in and drain it first if required myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

My pump is fukced now :( they quoted 600 for a new pump and 100 for the install. I've no probs with that and it seems very reasonable to me BUT if I can get the pump for half the price and then get one of my mates who are sparks to install it (fair few sparks sitting on their hands these days) I'd be helping a mate out too.

What was that site op?

Alright Nice1/all update to my saga. I fitted the pump myself following the instructions in the manual. Almost a year on and its still banging away which is good.
    It was a Salamandar pump and it was some parts-supplier in Finglas that were charging the 630euro for it.
    Was chatting to the plumber since and he said that the original batch that were put into the apartments weren't the best, so I brought the old pump back to the shop in Finglas but never heard anything. Bill is looking at it since November last year. But at this stage not to pushed as long as the one I have keeps working.

I wasn't taking away from what the plumber has to earn, I was only stressing that 150 for a 20 min job was excessive. And that was a 20min job for me. So I would presume for a qualified individual it would be 10mins? Just a thought. Thanks folks.

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Johnnio13, feels great when you do a joke yourself knowing that you haven't been ripped off :)

I've done a few electrical and plumbing jobs over the years, saved myself and my parents 100's of euros.

• Advertisement
Advertisement