Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Galway Nightclub?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Massive rumors going around at the mo about a new nightclub in the city?

I heard that the building where habitat used to be, was origionally built for a nighclub and is soundproofed etc?

Anyone else hear anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 En-Motion

The only one I know that is re-opening is where Boo Radleys used to be. I think it's gonna be a Wild West theme or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Wild West?

Good heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

j e s u s

I know ya. It is definitely re-opening, hopefully I'm wrong about the Wild West theme but I did hear mention of Coyote Ugly style girls so god knows what's in store

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sounds classy:rolleyes:

Habitat on the other hand would be a savage nightclub.

• Advertisement

There was loads of rumours going around years ago about a savage live venue/nightclub being built in that area. Also where standard printers used to be on Merchants Road is another spot that was mentioned. I dunno whatever happened to them plans though. Habitat would be quality alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

coyote ugly girls eh... well i suppose even they need a place to go out to as well...

Yee haw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I heard the coyote ugly rumour too..yeesh..merchants road site is moving along slowly as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The gay nightclub on Shop Strret has been rebranded as a hetro club called L.A.

Church Lane RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The gay nightclub on Shop Strret has been rebranded as a hetro club called L.A.

Church Lane RIP

Has that actually happened? I heard Twirley's had been doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Sounds classy:rolleyes:
    even classier i got laid in the jacks in the old boo radleys....wonder what the new place will be like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Habitat on the other hand would be a savage nightclub.

Ya, lots of comfy couches, and beds aswel as it happens... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

the old church lane/twirleys is due to be turned into a lapdancing club soon. anybody else agree that that's a great boost for shop st?

the habitat rumours concern the basement of the building; a few years ago the arts festival used it as a gallery for some of their art installations, it's a massive space that had been mooted as a concert venue or something along those lines for live gigs...cant find mention of it but there was a report in one of the local rags about it a while ago...
    i think the nigthclub at the end of merchants road is no longer a runner, although the site had been bought by the boys from CPs i think they may have sold it on since.

ti na nog will be reopening friday week, under the front door ownership, think they're looking for a change of clientele...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

found the report from the advertiser on the habitat building. its from way back when (2002) so not sure it's still a runner:

Futuristic nightlub planned for Fairgreen area
    GALWAY will be boasting what is expected to be the most futuristic nightclub in the country if plans to build the facility in the Fairgreen area get approval from city council planning officials next month.

Edward Holdings Limited, the developers of the Edward Square retail centre and the current commercial and retail project in Wellpark are behind the proposal earmarked for the Fairgreen area, which is set to revolutionise nightlife in Galway.

The development if it gets the planning go ahead will be one of the few purpose built live music venues in the city and is expected to cater for all tastes from traditional to rock.

Permission is being sought for a change of use of part of Fairgreen House off Forster Street, which has previously been approved for retail use at ground, basement, and sub-basement level.

O'Malley Construction which is developing the site, which adjoins the new public multi-storey car park at the Fairgreen has agreed to the Edward Holdings proposals

It is also understood that Edward Holdings which is headed up by Galway man Gerry Barrett, is interested in purchasing the property once planning approval has been secured.

The new nightclub is set to be called Atmosphere while its bar will have a name on a similar theme of Isobar.

The interior design of the new venue is very modern and futuristic with use of stainless and glass features along with a large water feature running through the staircase.

There will also be a removable stage incorporated into the overall design of the nightclub for performance events.

Planners at City Hall are currently considering the application for the nightclub development and a decision is expected in mid-September.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I pray to the powers that be that it's not some Karma/Halo/Boo Radleys esque dive.
    We need something a bit funkier and less run of the mill and chrome like features alone can't guarantee that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

We need some proper club, like central european type club, where they Don't play what you hear in other clubs! somewhere more causal and upbeat, and not where you get a big mob in! it would have to be some outside management for that to be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

a litle of topic but on the subject of new/renovated pubs.....the west will have a new late bar as the beirhaus goes skyward in the coming months permission granted as of last week, the upstairs will be turned into a lounge type of area with a roof garden for those long summer evenings ..under umbrellas

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

whens the bierhaus starting this,

thats great news,
    that probably one of the nicest places for a drink in town,
    especially on a quiet night when they have the fire on,
    and you drank stuff you drank when you where on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Mmmm Leffe. Great news about the Bierhaus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

axiom32 wrote: »
    a litle of topic but on the subject of new/renovated pubs.....the west will have a new late bar as the beirhaus goes skyward in the coming months permission granted as of last week, the upstairs will be turned into a lounge type of area with a roof garden for those long summer evenings ..under umbrellas

Yippee!!
    Yeah had that Leffe for first time last night and it is indeed quite yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

patience believe its now in the hands of the buildings owner to get the work to remodel done ....hope they wont have to close for long

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I pray to the powers that be that it's not some Karma/Halo/Boo Radleys esque dive.
    We need something a bit funkier and less run of the mill and chrome like features alone can't guarantee that.

in a city with thousands of students its a bit hard to say no to their tastes, business wise.

on the whole merchants road job, is that the building thats currently being put up or the one where the coffee place and printers are?

the article in the advertiser from 2002 is pretty detailed, did they just not get permission?

i remember ages ago there was a plan to put a 'music venue' where the new bus station is now, what ever happened to that?

and i heard yesterday the radisson definetly wont be coming back as its a full on 'wedding venue' now!:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

axiom32 wrote: »
    Awesome. I was gutted last time when they were turned down because of a "local" objector with an address in Rahoon.

Advertisement