Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a iPhone in the states

• 20-08-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭

I'm posting this for a friend of mine in the states.
    He asked what does me need to look out for to ensure it works ok back home here in Ireland.

He didn't mention what phone he had in mind.

Any tips appreciated and I'll passs them on.

Edit:
    He says now he 's looking to get an iPhone.
    It's not possible right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The_Edge wrote: »
    I'm posting this for a friend of mine in the states.
    He asked what does me need to look out for to ensure it works ok back home here in Ireland.

He didn't mention what phone he had in mind.

Any tips appreciated and I'll passs them on.

Edit:
    He says now he 's looking to get an iPhone.
    It's not possible right?

The iPhones are tied to a 2 year contract which must be activated in store, which means that it's highly unlikely that your friend would be able to buy one. You need to show proof of address and US social security number to get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i am led to believe that in N.Y. if you take it to chinatown, tell them you are based in ireland, for 80 u.s. they will jailbreak it for you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

old boy wrote: »
    i am led to believe that in N.Y. if you take it to chinatown, tell them you are based in ireland, for 80 u.s. they will jailbreak it for you
    You still have to obtain a handset first.
    And doing that without a signing a 2yr contract with AT&T via a credit check is the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers lads....I'll pass the info on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 corc

I believe the whole 2 year thing only applies to the the newly priced 3G Iphone.You can always pay extra for the version that doesnt come with a contract. (not 100% sure if they have rolled this out yet over in the states). If your friend is in NY try any of the stores and chance your arm.was there a few months back and to be honest they had signs everywhere but where handing them out without question when you went to buy one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement