Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion overload!!!

Options
  • 20-08-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Can anyone please help?

I have 3 mobile broadband, it sucks huge lemons and does naff all else!!

I was going to move to UTV, but the service they supply is not wireless, therefore I am limited to where I can use my computer in the house.

The cost is an issue, I would like to combine a phone and broadband package.
    I have check comreg, and done all the comparisons, and mostly I think my mind is made up, and then the company phones and I end up totallly confused again.

I like to think that I am an intelligent person, but I just want to get the best deal and when they go on about dsl/adsl/filters and other stuff, my brain melts and my eyes fall out.

Can anybody just tell me, in simple A B C pre-school English, which is the best to go with, a line that has me tied to one spot or wireless, which is the least problematic, and who is the best provider.

Sorry not asking for much, but I know you are all such amazing techno people that you will have all the answers.

THANK YOU....
    :D

Bell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sorry if this confuses you further but why not use wireless from the phone socket? i.e. plug a wireless gateway router into the main connection socket and use a wireless USB stick on your PC to recieve the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey there,

You know the way if you leave a brain out in the sunshine it shrivels, your reply just had the exact same effect.

I think you spoke in Swahili?

I have no idea what you said means. . .

Bell:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Basically you can get broadband from UTV, the broadband comes into your home on an Eircom standard telephone line. You plug a ADSL modem into the Eircom phone line and that is how you connect to the internet.

What lmimmfn was getting at is that this modem can also be a wireless ADSL router, which would all you to access the UTV broadband on your laptop using wireless from anywhere in your house.

This is called WiFI and is basically local wireless, note that unlike you 3 connection, it won't work outside your home (maybe your garden at best), but should be a lot better then 3.

Basically when people talk about wireless broadband, there are two types:

1) WWAN Wireless Wide Area Network, services like 3, Vodafone, Digiweb which work anywhere across the city.

2) WiFi which is just a local short range wireless, which turns your wired UTV connection into a wireless service around your home.

bellapip wrote: »
    Hey there,

You know the way if you leave a brain out in the sunshine it shrivels, your reply just had the exact same effect.

I think you spoke in Swahili?

I have no idea what you said means. . .

Bell:D
    lol, ok ill try and explain, if you get BB through the phoneline then normally you connect a gateway router( Broadband Router ) to the phoneline and then to your PC and your PC will then have a broadband connection

However you can get a wireless router so that you dont need to drag a wire all the way to your pc, that however requires that you get a wireless reciever for your PC

Imiffin, BK,

Ok, I think I get it. . .

So do I have to purchase a separate item to plug into the router to allow the wifi for within the house.

Also, I have an old router that used to service an ISDN line when I had an office in town, will this work, or will it only work with an ISDN line.?

And thank you both for the help, it has helped reduce the swelling in my brain.

Bell.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Imiffin, BK,

Ok, I think I get it. . .

So do I have to purchase a separate item to plug into the router to allow the wifi for within the house.

You have two options:

1) Buy a wireless broadband router and plug it into the supplied ADSL modem.

2) Most ISP's offer an integrated ADSL Modem + wireless router for an extra fee, I see that UTV actually give you a wireless router for free. So if you go with UTV, you don't need to buy a separate wireless router.

Note, you need to check if your PC or laptop has wireless (most sold in the last 3 years would), if not then you need to buy a wireless dongle for the PC.
    Also, I have an old router that used to service an ISDN line when I had an office in town, will this work, or will it only work with an ISDN line.?

No, this won't work.

Thanks Bk,

That pretty much answers all my questions.

My laptop is new enough and my Pc, is right beside the phone connection point so I can just plug that in directly when using it.

Many thanks

Bell.:D:D

Thanks Bk,

That pretty much answers all my questions.

My laptop is new enough and my Pc, is right beside the phone connection point so I can just plug that in directly when using it.

Many thanks

Bell.:D:D
    The laptop should have a wifi card built in, and if the PC's beside the phone socket you can plug the PC into the wireless router( its should be wireless gateway router/modem, i.e. it should have a phone cable connector on it ) and plug that into the phone socket

Thanks Immifimn

I have decided to go with UTV because of their price and form reading the forums here, I take it they are shoulder to shoulder with eircom, so I figure as speeds go up they will with UTV too. I wanted to go with BT but price was a factor. Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated.

Bell:D:D

Advertisement