Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking

Options
  • 20-08-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Resovled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, unless there was damage in my opinion. Are you learning to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Even the best drivers can hit a kerb while parking. Especially where the kerb is not straight but at a sort of curve or angle.
    In fact sometimes i will on purpose mount a kerb for a second and come off as soon as i straighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sometimes, instead of parallel parking I will enter between the parked cars front first and mount the kerb with my front tyre. As long as you're not leaving the car riding the kerbs it's ok in my book. Wheels should be 2-3 inches away when you're finished.

edit, just like saruman

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Does hitting the curb while parking count as an accident?

Unless you did it on purpose..then yeah, it is an accident!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭carlostevez90

Ok??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

so its fine?
    im just a bit paranoid over how they have 5 points for scene of accident etc

Am I right in thinking that your asking if you can get 5 points for clipping a kerb and not reporting it as an accident?

:eek:

ye

i'll take it as im being silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i'll take it as im being silly?

Theres a simple test. Head down to your local Garda station and tell them you want to record 3 accidents that you left the scene of. Then tell them the details of each (you clipped a kerb while parking).

You'll know by their reaction if your being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

carlostevez90 displays his motoring paranoia again! Previous threads make good reads. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Saruman wrote: »
    Even the best drivers can hit a kerb while parking. Especially where the kerb is not straight but at a sort of curve or angle.
    In fact sometimes i will on purpose mount a kerb for a second and come off as soon as i straighten up.
    biko wrote: »
    Sometimes, instead of parallel parking I will enter between the parked cars front first and mount the kerb with my front tyre. As long as you're not leaving the car riding the kerbs it's ok in my book. Wheels should be 2-3 inches away when you're finished.

edit, just like saruman

Are ye serious you should never mount a kerb in your car. It can easily damage the tyre (the sidewall in paticular), the wheels themselves, it could nock out the tracking slightly and I am sure the pedestrian that may be walking one the footpath would not be too happy about getting hit by a car.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

h3000 wrote: »
    Are ye serious you should never mount a kerb in your car. It can easily damage the tyre (the sidewall in paticular), the wheels themselves, it could nock out the tracking slightly and I am sure the pedestrian that may be walking one the footpath would not be too happy about getting hit by a car.

Im very serious, You obviously take it to mean the worst possible outcome when in fact i know exactly what im doing and so one one thing you mention is possible. Especially the pedestrian part.

What im talking about mainly is outside my house. I mount the kerb sometimes on the driveway (no possibility of damage that way) and then when i straighten up i come off it.

Anyway i hit more potholes and other roadwork type dips and bumps that give my tyres more of a shock every day than gently mounting a kerb at a very relaxed angle every now and again. what the hell kind of force do you think im mounting a kerb at that can possibly result in damage to a wheel?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

On a different note, how much truth is there to the fact that leaving a car parked half up on a kerb (In a narrow road for example, you see it all the time) is bad for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

oeb wrote: »
    On a different note, how much truth is there to the fact that leaving a car parked half up on a kerb (In a narrow road for example, you see it all the time) is bad for the car?

I've heard it causes lopsided compression of the suspension and over a long time, this can become permanent - there was even someone commenting on it on here in a thread that showed a dealers with a car parked like that.

Advertisement