Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does everyone in ireland like donegal accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Everyone here (Mayo and Galway) seems to love them. I always tend to come back with the accent when I spend any length of time up there with the family.

Even though when meself and a few mates were in Coleraine for a football tournament during the year, they seemed to love the southern accent. Strange. How could they like culchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sexy accent. Was up in Donegal at the start of the year for 2 days and loved it, saying that love most Northern accents.
    You probably only got the Ballybofey accent Gavin! ;)

I like the north/eastern more 'harsher' Donegal accent. Hate that 'soft' south/west Donegal accent e.g. Daniel O'D and Brian McEniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nightwish wrote: »
    I dont like the Donegal accent at all. Partly because it reminds me of a complete freak from Lee-yetterkenna I lived with a few years ago, and partly because I havent a clue what they're saying.

Aye Shirlee, you lived with somebody you didn't understand for a few years and you call him a Wee freak!

Catch yourself on Sir!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

The Donegal accent is a gift from the heavens, it's quite magnificent. :)

(But Mayo..............even Bruce Willis would sound like Graham Norton if he grew up in Castlebar, if you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Derry accent is better :)

1 thing to say - Nadine Coyle, i'd hit that but only if her mouth was full (:p) and she wouldn't speak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

If you took some one from malin head, lifford, donegal town, ballyshannon and gweedore you wouldn't think it was the same county - what exactly is the definition used here? I hope its not daniel o'donnell or mary coughlin:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and people from north and south dublin sound completly different, same thing really? and about Daniel and Mary, every county has annoying voiced people in them, just none as ridiculous as Donegal i will admit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Horrible acccent.

Most accents are horrible in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 vmcnult

KJ_2008 wrote: »
    The Donegal accent is a gift from the heavens, it's quite magnificent. :).

Of course the Donegal accent is sexy sure I'm from there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

sexiest. accent. ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Must admit I'm not a fan of it. At least it's not as bad as the Cork accent.

girl with that accent is best thing ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Trés sexy indeed.

Wouldn't mind plowing a Donegal bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Donegal and Derry accents are sexual to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

hate the donegal accent with a passion !!!! (along with the rest of the northern accents)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I love the derry and donegal accent. Its so sexy. If theres any young free donegal males between 25 and 35, pm me. Expect for danials accent. I hate that. And i hate their irish accent. My ears bleed whenever i hear a donegal person speak irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I went to college with this guy that had the thickest Donegal accent. I never had a fcuking clue what he was saying to me. I cant understand that accent at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

As with all Northern accents, I hate it. I go up there a lot as someone close to me had to move to Donegal a while back, and it's the only thing that I dislike about the place, the local accent. Whiney is the best description. If I had to listen to it every day I'd go mad.
    If Nadine Coyle's accent is typical of Derry, then that tops the lot, it is shockingly awful to listen to her speaking. It's baaad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

hate the donegal accent with a passion !!!! (along with the rest of the northern accents)

:eek:take it back or I'l set wee Daniel on ye!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Donegal accent is gash, almost as bad as the Dundalk one. Cue Stan Staunton for the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You probably only got the Ballybofey accent Gavin! ;)

I like the north/eastern more 'harsher' Donegal accent. Hate that 'soft' south/west Donegal accent e.g. Daniel O'D and Brian McEniff.

The Ballybofey accent is the bestest :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Loooooove the accent. One of my teachers at school was from Donegal and I wanted him. :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

aye. aye. aye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

How to mimic a Donegal accent 101 - pronounce most words with the letter "N" in front of it...

"Ny name nis Nevil, nand nime fnom Nonegal, ny na nis na novely noman nand ni nove ner noo nits"

See, easy peasy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Nehaxak wrote: »
    How to mimic a Donegal accent 101 - pronounce most words with the letter "N" in front of it...

"Ny name nis Nevil, nand nime fnom Nonegal, ny na nis na novely noman nand ni nove ner noo nits"

See, easy peasy...

does every1 from donegal have a speach impediment yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

does every1 from donegal have a speach impediment yeah?

Affirmative.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

House wrote: »
    Limerick = Nasty bast**d child of Kerry north/Clare

:DHad me laughing for a solid 5 minutes. I generally like the Donegal accent provided it isn't too thick.Sexy stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Neesa wrote: »
    There is not one thing in the world that "everyone" likes. Except of course chocolate milkshakes.

I hate chocolate milkshakes. I hate any flavoured milk!
    Even more than I hate the Donegal accent!! But I love every other Northern accent. Mmmmm so sexy. Its actually a lot softer than people seem to think.
    I hate the Drogheda accent but some might not consider it a Northern one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

donegal accent is as bout as sexy as Mary Harney in fishnets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is there nobody here from Donegal?

Advertisement