Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

urgent help required after checking cartell.ie

Options
  • 20-08-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi guys, was just reading sum posts last nite and someone had a link to cartell in one of them .As im collecting my new car tommorrow i said to hell with it just check it.

The car im buying is 06 sportsline passat tdi. The mileage is 21,876 miles /34126 km. the salesman said it had 1 owner although it didnt say how many on carzone.
    the car has a full service history, from where im not sure ,just remember it was main dealers, 2 stamps were from a mercedes garage in naas.strange on a passat?
    when i checked cartell.ie it said car was irish,not crashed etc.
    what worried me was it had 2 owners , second owner only had it 5 months but he taxed it as a hackney.very worrying.
    low mileage was what interested me so much in this car.
    the seats are showroom condition and steering wheel the same, no shine etc.

the garage rang today and said it was ready tommorrow, i told him and he seemed shocked ,surprise surprise.
    got chassis number off him and it matched.
    told him im goinna check all the garages the car was serviced tommorrow before i give him a penney and i will.

i really need help guys, disgusted:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Have you had the car checked by a mechanic if your choice? If not I would do that and make sure to tell him the car was taxed as a hackney. Then I would carefully inspect the car on the inside even to the point of pulling up the back seat.

Is there a possibility the car was taxed as a hackney due to the lower rates???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you see the VLC? If that says it only had 1 owner I'd believe that before I believe Cartell.

You could get in contact with the last owner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

TheNog wrote: »
    Have you had the car checked by a mechanic if your choice? If not I would do that and make sure to tell him the car was taxed as a hackney. Then I would carefully inspect the car on the inside even to the point of pulling up the back seat.

Is there a possibility the car was taxed as a hackney due to the lower rates???
    i havent , i know a fair bit. il try get one have a look if i can get one at this late notice.
    yeah ashtray was damaged at back this was going 2 be replaced, was spotless in back and front,well minded.
    i doubt you could tax a hackney without proof although im not sure?
    the mileage is my only real concern.
    thanks nog

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did you see the VLC? If that says it only had 1 owner I'd believe that before I believe Cartell.

You could get in contact with the last owner too.
    garage admitted it had 2 owners when i put it too them

yeah they gave me a name of last owner ,il get his number off them tommorrow and ring . but if he did clock car he would hardly own up. thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

audismelly wrote: »
    the car has a full service history, from where im not sure ,just remember it was main dealers, 2 stamps were from a mercedes garage in naas.strange on a passat?

The Merc dealer in Naas is also a VW & Audi dealer, why not try phoning them to verify service history; http://www.sheehymotors.ie/contentv3/

• Advertisement

De Hipster wrote: »
    The Merc dealer in Naas is also a VW & Audi dealer, why not try phoning them to verify service history; http://www.sheehymotors.ie/contentv3/
    thanks a million , thats it sheehys,il do that first thing in morning. would they mind giving out such information. mileage ,names etc. thats a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Sounds like you haven't collected the car yet?
    I would demand my money back and start looking again.

bbbbb wrote: »
    Sounds like you haven't collected the car yet?
    I would demand my money back and start looking again.
    getting it tommorrow, no just gave e200 deposit plus trading in 03 a4 and 8800.
    oh god dont say that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you still prepared to give them the same amount of money after doing the deal based on buying a one owner car. I wouldnt. In fact I would run out of there adn never go back... Sounds like a dodgy dealer to me. They had to know it had two owners so thats just a cover up and I wouldnt trust that mileage either. Theres loads of top class used cars out there now so why buy anything even slightly dodgy

mickdw wrote: »
    Are you still prepared to give them the same amount of money after doing the deal based on buying a one owner car. I wouldnt. In fact I would run out of there adn never go back... Sounds like a dodgy dealer to me. They had to know it had two owners so thats just a cover up and I wouldnt trust that mileage either. Theres loads of top class used cars out there now so why buy anything even slightly dodgy
    my heads in the air ,im not sure . my biggest concern is the miles to be honest. the garage is a vw garage and not a fly by night. but the previous owner could have clocked it before a trade in for all i know.the service book is bang on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with your dilema, try verifying the milage with the previous garage where car was serviced. Hopefully, they'll have their servicing details on a computer system and give it to you fairly quickly.

If you cant, forget about it and walk away, its a lot of money to pay and still end up with doubt about the car.

DigiJem wrote: »
    Good luck with your dilema, try verifying the milage with the previous garage where car was serviced. Hopefully, they'll have their servicing details on a computer system and give it to you fairly quickly.

If you cant, forget about it and walk away, its a lot of money to pay and still end up with doubt about the car.

yeah goinna ring them in morning,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

when i checked cartell.ie it said car was irish,not crashed etc.
    what worried me was it had 2 owners , second owner only had it 5 months but he taxed it as a hackney.very worrying.
    low mileage was what interested me so much in this car.
    the seats are showroom condition and steering wheel the same, no shine etc.

Hi audismelly, is this the same car you referred to here?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357400

You said:
    Hi guys am picking up 06 passat thursday. the car has been sitting for last 6 months and has no tax. when will i need to tax this? how long will i get away without it?

i have 4 months tax left on the audi im tradeing in , am tempted to just stick in audi tax disc :eek:. my mates a garda so stamping wont be a problem.

any tips?

Before anyone advises you any further, can you confirm if the car was taxed or not, as a hackney or not?

If so, I think you should walk away from this deal as I don't think you have your homework done and you're thinking's not straight with regards to what you're doing.

If it's not, my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car was taxed as a hackney then the VLC will show it as being a Public Service Vehicle (PSV), surely this means that the garage would have known this when the car was traded in to them?

A few things stand out here, the extremly low mileage on a 2 year old diesel car that appears to have been used as a hackney cab and the patchy details with regards the number of previous owners on the car supplied by the garage selling the vehicle.

I would definately make a song and dance with the garage about the fact that you are buying the car based on information they provided which turns out to be incorrect. You should also have the VW garage plug the car into their VAG.COM computer and verify the milege. Also ring the garages that serviced the car and verify they mileage at the time of each service.

At that stage if you are happy that you still want the car then I would see about renegotiating the price as the above previously undisclosed facts have a direct effect on the value of the car.

Don't be afraid to walk away from the deal as there are plenty of these cars around.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Hi audismelly, is this the same car you referred to here?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357400

You said:

Before anyone advises you any further, can you confirm if the car was taxed or not, as a hackney or not?

If so, I think you should walk away from this deal as I don't think you have your homework done and you're thinking's not straight with regards to what you're doing.

If it's not, my apologies!

hi thanx guys yes i can confirm car was sold dec17 2007 ,it was then taxed from dec until this may as a hackney and then traded in

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car was taxed as a hackney then the VLC will show it as being a Public Service Vehicle (PSV), surely this means that the garage would have known this when the car was traded in to them?

A few things stand out here, the extremly low mileage on a 2 year old diesel car that appears to have been used as a hackney cab and the patchy details with regards the number of previous owners on the car supplied by the garage selling the vehicle.

I would definately make a song and dance with the garage about the fact that you are buying the car based on information they provided which turns out to be incorrect. You should also have the VW garage plug the car into their VAG.COM computer and verify the milege. Also ring the garages that serviced the car and verify they mileage at the time of each service.

At that stage if you are happy that you still want the car then I would see about renegotiating the price as the above previously undisclosed facts have a direct effect on the value of the car.

Don't be afraid to walk away from the deal as there are plenty of these cars around.
    yeah used for 5 months as a hackney,seems low to me too
    would a vag .com accurately verify the mileage?
    thanks im having major doubts now,if the mileage was ok id be tempted to buy it still

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

yeah used for 5 months as a hackney,seems low to me too
    would a vag .com accurately verify the mileage?
    thanks im having major doubts now,if the mileage was ok id be tempted to buy it still

I would imagine so but AudiChris has some good advice there. If you have any doubts then just don't go through with the deal. You will only torment yourself afterwards with all the "what ifs?" going through your head.

There are plenty of Passat TDis out there.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would imagine so but AudiChris has some good advice there. If you have any doubts then just don't go through with the deal. You will only torment yourself afterwards with all the "what ifs?" going through your head.

There are plenty of Passat TDis out there.

yeah i guess your right, was lovely clean low mileage car:mad:
    i siqned contract and gave deposit,there expecting me down after work tomorrow.
    whats the next step if i pull out?

right guys thanks for the help. im ringing the dealer in morning. i siqned a contract in utmost good faith,ive being misled so its null and void.
    thanks for all your help ,really appreciate it
    touchwood il call on ye experts soon enuff

i siqned a contract in utmost good faith,ive being misled so its null and void.

I'd say if you're looking to cancel it based on incorrect information, you should. Do it as early as possible tomorrow, they'll be spending time cleaning and prep'ing your car - it's only fair to save them as much hassle as possible.

Don't get too high-and-mighty about the rights and wrongs of this though, only 4 days ago you were asking was it ok to steal the tax disk from your trade in to use it on your new car - you're not squeaky clean
    i have 4 months tax left on the audi im tradeing in , am tempted to just stick in audi tax disc :eek:.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Don't you think the garage might notice?
    its my disc so how would garage notice

• Advertisement

:
    I'd say if you're looking to cancel it based on incorrect information, you should. Do it as early as possible tomorrow, they'll be spending time cleaning and prep'ing your car - it's only fair to save them as much hassle as possible.

Don't get too high-and-mighty about the rights and wrongs of this though, only 4 days ago you were asking was it ok to steal the tax disk from your trade in to use it on your new car - you're not squeaky clean

lol its true but i would not cod someone with a car i sold them or clock a car, im the loveable rogue:D
    im from the i paid for it its mine breed:rolleyes: be glad of my tax now:p

il do it first thing in the morning.they would have saved me even more hassle if they told me i was buying a hackney:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Also think about the following, when its time to sell on it'll have 3 owners and you'll have to explain to the buyer that the second owner used the car as a taxi, its a hard sell imo.

DonJose wrote: »
    Also think about the following, when its time to sell on it'll have 3 owners and you'll have to explain to the buyer that the second owner used the car as a taxi, its a hard sell imo.
    Your 100% correct there,thats a great comment.
    the mind is made up now,il let yee know how they take it, thanks again

Hey audismelly, did you speak to them this morning? What happened?

Hey audismelly, did you speak to them this morning? What happened?
    yeah.i rang at 9.30 this morning. i got him at third attempt.
    i said hello and told him straight away that i got results from cartell and showed them to a mechanic that told me i could not buy car as a result of the car bein taxed as a hackney.
    he didnt believe it was a hackney and got a woman fron the complaints/legal side who checked the vlc which showed no public car registered. she then asked me did i pay the money to get it checked, i told her yeah 20 e on cartell. so she checked and was shocked.
    in the mean time the salesman was ringing the last owner who claimed to own the car for a year and said he was a lorrydriver. didnt know anything about it.
    i could hear salesman was not happy with the last owners explanation as the records showed he owned the car for 5 months and not a year.
    he still tried to say it was in great nick and how he could have sold it 3 or 4 times in the last week, i told him sure you wont have a problem so,once they dont check cartell.ie
    he was fair enough ,just gutted the car previous owner never said anything bout been a hackney when traded in.
    i just told him i would put it in writing and that i wanted deposit in the next 21 days.
    he agreed.
    overall they were grand about it, think they were sick about taking the car in.
    would they have to disclose it was taxed as a hackney now?
    my mind is clear now and im happy i didnt go through with it because of the doubts.
    id just like to thank everyone who offered advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That was a lucky escape...even if the car was in perfect nick. Imagine explaining to a potential buyer in 3 years time that you had no idea it was ever a taxi.

Did you confirm with a 3rd party about the cartell info as they can often be wrong and the mileage isn't actually a recorded mileage, rather an aver of what would be expected for a car of that age and model.

ninty9er wrote: »
    That was a lucky escape...even if the car was in perfect nick. Imagine explaining to a potential buyer in 3 years time that you had no idea it was ever a taxi.

Did you confirm with a 3rd party about the cartell info as they can often be wrong and the mileage isn't actually a recorded mileage, rather an aver of what would be expected for a car of that age and model.

for sure it was.yeah any buyer that checked it would run a mile

yeah my uncle checked it with tax office and confirmed it was hackney tax.
    yeah cartell has no correct mileage on irish cars , if it has been nct d they can show mileage at test date i would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

for sure it was.yeah any buyer that checked it would run a mile

yeah my uncle checked it with tax office and confirmed it was hackney tax.
    yeah cartell has no correct mileage on irish cars , if it has been nct d they can show mileage at test date i would imagine

Nope they can't even record NCT properly....my car's NCT had about 20k on it at the last NCT but the Cartell report I ran said 78,000....with a disclaimer that it was not the mileage, just a hazard as to what the average is:rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nope they can't even record NCT properly....my car's NCT had about 20k on it at the last NCT but the Cartell report I ran said 78,000....with a disclaimer that it was not the mileage, just a hazard as to what the average is:rolleyes:

god thats not good:eek: at least it helped me however and in future il be doin the cartell check

• Advertisement

Good result then!

I hope the garage have the ability/will to go after the previous owner. As much as you would have been gutted to buy this car with incorrect information, I'm sure the garage is well pi$$ed off about buying it under false pretenses (the SIMI form you sign when trading in your car specifically asks was the car ever used as a hackney/taxi).

Well done for doing the work and protecting yourself.

Now, back to the Passat shopping....

Advertisement