Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Mooney joins Reading

• 20-08-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Reading Football Club have completed the signing of 23-year-old striker David Mooney for an undisclosed fee from Irish top flight side Cork City.

The 6ft 1 front man, who has scored 15 goals in 22 League of Ireland appearances this season, has signed a three-year-contract at Madejski Stadium.

Director of Football Nick Hammond told readingfc.co.uk, "I am very pleased to complete this deal, which gives us five senior strikers and provides the manager with a good array of attacking options at his disposal.

Mooney currently tops the League of Ireland's scoring charts, having achieved the same feat while at Longford Town last season, when he also won the league's player of the year award and received international recognition with two caps at under 23 level.

I wonder if he'll be called up to Trapattoni's next squad. His technique and finishing have really improved in the last few days.

Best of luck to Dave. Gutted to see him leave, although it was inevitable given our current situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What did he do over the last few days? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zAbbo wrote: »

Its a dig at EL players not gttign picked for internationals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

wonder does that mean Doyle is moving on... to Villa

and in the past few days what did he do? he passed through that magical portal that is a move to england that suddenly see's people recognised on the International scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Best of luck to him, hopefully he makes the kind of impact Doyle did.

Speaking of Doyle - there have been plenty of rumours that Reading were trying to get a striker in before selling Doyle to Villa. If this happens, how much would City recoup from the sell-on fee? Hopefully the two moves (if the second does indeed happen) will go some way to sorting things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Best of luck to him, hopefully he makes the kind of impact Doyle did.

Speaking of Doyle - there have been plenty of rumours that Reading were trying to get a striker in before selling Doyle to Villa. If this happens, how much would City recoup from the sell-on fee? Hopefully the two moves (if the second does indeed happen) will go some way to sorting things out.
    We get 10%. But if the fee is undisclosed (there's no reason why it should be disclosed), Reading might try to screw us over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

As a Longford person, best of luck to Dave he deserves to do well.

Wonder how much it was? €100,000 at least you'd think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

He got noticed because he plays on the mainland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've never heard of him, never saw him play, never saw Cork City play, but if he's good enough for Reading - he should defintely be in the Ireland squad, and maybe even dropped into the bench for tonight.

/me starts petition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

he went for 250,000.

I hope you are one of the people from Longford who still goto matches ;)

I've never heard of him, never saw him play, never saw Cork City play, but if he's good enough for Reading - he should defintely be in the Ireland squad, and maybe even dropped into the bench for tonight.

/me starts petition
    What can I say.....he magically improved and now people who've never heard of him, let alone seen him play, want him in the Ireland squad. (Not having a go at you btw)

Officially it's for an undisclosed fee.

It's rumoured that we got £250k (I'm not sure), which is a joke. It was a case "He's yours. Whatever ye can afford lads". He should have been a record transfer for a LOI club, €1m plus add-ons. But we're up the creek.

Here's a picture of him signing the contract :(http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1371348,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gotta assume Zabbo's comments were tongue in cheek.

So Cork are now readings feeder club then?

gotta assume Zabbo's comments were tongue in cheek.

So Cork are now readings feeder club then?
    Reading and Sunderland. It's not official though it might as well be. At least we'd get an annual fee then.

Ridden rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

he went for 250,000.

I hope you are one of the people from Longford who still goto matches ;)

Tis rare that I'm around for them...not a bad thing at the moment though, I'd be ripping my hair out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A few weeks ago some poster called Cork City "the Ajax of the eircom League". :D

Mooney is a top-notch player with an outstanding record. Top scorer last season for the team that got relegated and he had already been banging them in for Cork and playing well too. He's definitely one who can move up in the world.

The only bad point I can find with the deal (rumoured to be €250k) is that Cork might escape from their examinership without learning much of a lesson.

Quigley will be top-scorer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Officially it's for an undisclosed fee.

It's rumoured that we got £250k (I'm not sure), which is a joke. It was a case "He's yours. Whatever ye can afford lads". He should have been a record transfer for a LOI club, €1m plus add-ons. But we're up the creek.

I don't suppose if you know if there were any sell-on clauses, as these often prove to be far greater earners longer term. I know Cork need money up front now, but I'd hope for their sake that they lumped in a big sell-on clause. They'll earn a ton from the Doyle transfer if it does go through.

Agree though that he should have went for around the million euro mark, 250k is a disgrace and an embarassment (however, given the circumstances, it is somewhat understandable). What's the point in spending millions every year on improving our (eLOI) squads when all it takes is an English club offering a paltry sum and we stupidly accept it? All the money being spent by larger clubs here cannot be recouped by prize money alone (unless you qualify for the CL group stages or something), and selling players of Mooney's ability and quality for 250k is sad to see.

Just for anyone who wouldn't know much about the eLOI and thinks this is a great deal for Cork - To put it in context, it'd probably just cover 2 good players' wages for a year.

Publin wrote: »
    I don't suppose if you know if there were any sell-on clauses, as these often prove to be far greater earners longer term. I know Cork need money up front now, but I'd hope for their sake that they lumped in a big sell-on clause. They'll earn a ton from the Doyle transfer if it does go through.

Agree though that he should have went for around the million euro mark, 250k is a disgrace and an embarassment (however, given the circumstances, it is somewhat understandable). What's the point in spending millions every year on improving our (eLOI) squads when all it takes is an English club offering a paltry sum and we stupidly accept it? All the money being spent by larger clubs here cannot be recouped by prize money alone (unless you qualify for the CL group stages or something), and selling players of Mooney's ability and quality for 250k is sad to see.

Just for anyone who wouldn't know much about the eLOI and thinks this is a great deal for Cork - To put it in context, it'd probably just cover 2 good players' wages for a year.

1. I really doubt it. We weren't in any position to demand any add-ons.

2. You're right, it is a disgrace and an embarrassment. It is sickening. But we had no choice because we're in examinership.

3. Bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A few weeks ago some poster called Cork City "the Ajax of the eircom League". :D

Remember though, he started at Rovers. :)

Rovers. Cork. What's the bet Reading go into examinership in a year? :p

stovelid wrote: »
    Remember though, he started at Rovers. :)

Rovers, Cork - what's the bet Reading go into examinership in a year? :p
    You're forgetting Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

That's awful. I know these are difficult times for CCFC but if the examiner appointed made the call on the sale of Mooney, then it was out of their hands. I'm sure they would have liked to have hung onto him until the end of the season to try to ensure a European and Setanta spot through a good league finish or cup win, all for the sake of a relatively small continued expenditure on his wages, followed by selling him on in January if required.

However, circumstances dictated this was not possible. Hopefully for Cork it doesn't damage them longer term through loss of income from not qualifying for Setanta or Europe.

Best of luck to Mooney, I think he'll do well in the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're forgetting Longford.

They didn't fit into my witty, recent-examinership analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is reality gentlemen. When small fish can't manage their finances properly they will be completely hapless at the negotiating table when a bigger club offers a dream move to their best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hardly a dream move, he turned down a move to Norwich 6 months ago.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is reality gentlemen. When small fish can't manage their finances properly they will be completely hapless at the negotiating table when a bigger club offers a dream move to their best players.
    This is reality? Of course it's reality! We all knew Mooney was going to be the first to leave. He would have been happy to stay with City and win trophies, but given our current financial predicament he had to go.

When supposedly accomplished businessmen waste money, and investors then decide to pull the plug because of gross mismanagement, then you are f*cked.

There wasn't any negotiating. We're in examinership.

To say Reading is a dream move for Moons is laughable considering he already turned down Premiership clubs. Hopefully Reading will just be a stepping stone for him, like Doyle.

Do you have an agenda?

bohsman wrote: »
    Hardly a dream move, he turned down a move to Norwich 6 months ago.

We had this debate a few weeks ago, but I firmly believe that this is an awesome move for him.

- He'll be able to start;
    - He'll have some Irish players to lean on for a few weeks while he gets settled in the area;
    - Reading are a team that are big enough to have a year in, year out shot at getting the players together for a spin up the Championship table;

It is much, much better for him to go here than go to a premiership side where he is unlikely to see gametime and be left to the reserves / loan spells for clubs playing possibly as low as league two. Much as a direct move to league two would be bad because it sets him back a year or two in terms of getting to the premiership despite the fact that he would probably destroy at that level.

He has been given an opportunity to build a successful career - a platform to reach the top if he's good enough. That was never on offer at Cork City.

This is reality? Of course it's reality! We all knew Mooney was going to be the first to leave. He would have been happy to stay with City and win trophies, but given our current financial predicament he had to go.

When supposedly accomplished businessmen waste money, and investors then decide to pull the plug because of gross mismanagement, then you are f*cked.

There wasn't any negotiating. We're in examinership.

To say Reading is a dream move for Moons is laughable considering he already turned down Premiership clubs. Hopefully Reading will just be a stepping stone for him, like Doyle.

Do you have an agenda?

Remember this?
    Mooney will not move to a sh*t club like Carlisle. Reading, Coppell and Dolan can f*ck off. They haven't a hope of signing him anyway. Mooney will only leave for Premier League football or football in a top European league. He certainly will not leave before the end of the season.

Mooney has said he will stay in Cork. He wants to win trophies with City and play European football.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56635787&postcount=29

Anyway, as I have been trying to explain - a move to a club like Reading is much better for his career expectation than going to a premiership club right now. As such, it's a dream move.

The only agenda I have is that I enjoy when ignorant nonsense like the above post from a couple of weeks ago above gets turned on it's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

there's no sell on clause, and the manager wasnt consulted on the sale of the best player in the league.

the whole thing stinks :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Roar wrote: »
    there's no sell on clause, and the manager wasnt consulted on the sale of the best player in the league.

the whole thing stinks :mad:

Thing is City (or should I just say Kenny) aren't really in a situation to argue over a clause though are they, all they wanted was a quick sale.

Best of luck to him though, he gave his all in a City shirt!

Remember this?

Anyway, as I have been trying to explain - a move to a club like Reading is much better for his career expectation than going to a premiership club right now. As such, it's a dream move.

The only agenda I have is that I enjoy when ignorant nonsense like the above post from a couple of weeks ago above gets turned on it's head.

I remember. Ignorant nonsense? No. Unfortunately when I wrote that post a few weeks ago I didn't know that we'd be in examinership, or the full extent of our creditors because I don't have access to the accounts. But I'm sure people who know nothing about Cork City FC must have known that we'd be in examinership a few weeks ago...

There is no doubt (except in your case) that if our owners were in it for the long haul, we'd have received a much, much larger transfer fee plus add-ons.

When I wrote it, I was annoyed to see another City player linked with Reading. Mooney may have moved to Reading, but not in this transfer window if our owners were really serious. Considering O'Donovan had been offered contracts with both Fulham and Sunderland, it's not that far off the mark to say Mooney should go to a top league.

A dream move in your opinion. I'm hope he'll do well there, and hopefully he'll move on to a team in the Premier League or a top European league.

Enjoy our demise. And the current struggles of Cobh, Waterford and Rovers.

I think it'll be a few years till City produce another striker for the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sickening but unsurprising. Thank you pat Dolan. Hope you enjoy your few quid from it.

Rubbish. You are happy to be an eL basher. It seems to have escaped peoples notice that City were not in a position to refuse the €250k. FFS, had Reading offered half that we would have had to accept the bastard bid. So, no, you did not turn any argument "on its head". You just don't understand the entire situation.

• Advertisement

I remember. Ignorant nonsense? No. Unfortunately when I wrote that post a few weeks ago I didn't know that we'd be in examinership, or the full extent of our creditors because I don't have access to the accounts. But I'm sure people who know nothing about Cork City FC must have known that we'd be in examinership a few weeks ago...

There is no doubt (except in your case) that if our owners were in it for the long haul, we'd have received a much, much larger transfer fee plus add-ons.

When I wrote it, I was annoyed to see another City player linked with Reading. Mooney may have moved to Reading, but not in this transfer window if our owners were really serious. Considering O'Donovan had been offered contracts with both Fulham and Sunderland, it's not that far off the mark to say Mooney should go to a top league.

A dream move in your opinion. I'm hope he'll do well there, and hopefully he'll move on to a team in the Premier League or a top European league.

I think it'll be a few years till City produce another striker for the national team.

- Is it not now looking like moving to the Premiership was not exactly ideal for Donovan?
    - Is it entirely unfair to suggest that some of the current predicaments are in some way related to teams having unrealistic goals and attempting to be bigger in terms of running costs and payroll than they can ever realistically be in a small time league?
    - In that context, would it not be fair to assume that the combination of a players desires and the potential instability that lurks in the shadows of any EL league club with ambition always makes it somewhat unlikely that the smaller club can haggle for every last penny - and delay the inevitable move for a lengthy period?
    gimmick wrote: »
    Rubbish. You are happy to be an eL basher. It seems to have escaped peoples notice that City were not in a position to refuse the €250k. FFS, had Reading offered half that we would have had to accept the bastard bid. So, no, you did not turn any argument "on its head". You just don't understand the entire situation.

What I understand is that your club was forced to accept the bid because it is incapable of running itself properly.

- Is it entirely unfair to suggest that some of the current predicaments are in some way related to teams having unrealistic goals and attempting to be bigger in terms of running costs and payroll than they can ever realistically be in a small time league?
    - In that context, would it not be fair to assume that the combination of a players desires and the potential instability that lurks in the shadows of any EL league club with ambition always makes it somewhat unlikely that the smaller club can haggle for every last penny - and delay the inevitable move for a lengthy period?

What I understand is that your club was forced to accept the bid because it is incapable of running itself properly.
    Your comments relating to the running of the club are way off the mark. You don't understand or know anything about the situation.

If our owners had been in it for the long haul we were in an excellent position to negotiate a million euro transfer plus add-ons. Obvious to anyone really. Regarding the instability, well you don't know anything about the situation at City.

- Is it not now looking like moving to the Premiership was not exactly ideal for Donovan?
    Yes. But I think you'll find that most City supporters reckon he should've spent a bit longer at City to develop, and that he wasn't as good as Doyle. But, Doyle's success combined with the fact that Roy's contract was expiring resulted in the move to the Premiership. Not to mention his name is Roy, and he's from Cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

does this mean cork are safe from going under now?? be such a shame to see them going

pesireland wrote: »
    does this mean cork are safe from going under now?? be such a shame to see them going
    No, we're not safe yet. We owe a lot more money than what we got off Reading. But I agree it'll be a shame if we go bust. I don't think we will though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But I agree it'll be a shame if we go bust. I don't think we will though.
    Definitely. I don't think I could post on foot ever again for all the whinging Cork fans that would bitch and moan.

Your comments relating to the running of the club are way off the mark. You don't understand or know anything about the situation.

If our owners had been in it for the long haul we were in an excellent position to negotiate a million euro transfer plus add-ons. Obvious to anyone really. Regarding the instability, well you don't know anything about the situation at City.

Yes. But I think you'll find that most City supporters reckon he should've spent a bit longer at City to develop, and that he wasn't as good as Doyle. But, Doyle's success combined with the fact that Roy's contract was expiring resulted in the move to the Premiership. Not to mention his name is Roy, and he's from Cork...

crossposting this from the other thread for lulz:

Also Gimmick, remember these vitriolic posts when Drogheda faced a problem?
    Delighted. Absolutely delighted. Sooner that shower are back as a yo yo club at best, the better for all involved.
    Well, better for me as I pretty much despise them.

How does it feel now with the shoe on the other foot?

And for a good chuckle:
    We're probably the best run club in the league.
    I'm here to entertain

We're greatly improving off the pitch ever since Arkaga took over. There are still problems, contracts being a major problem, but hopefully Patrick Kenny will be able to sort things out. I think we have a few creditors that need to be paid, but we haven't had a CEO to do it. We're not splashing the cash like Pats.

Are you here all week? :D

• Advertisement

Your comments relating to the running of the club are way off the mark. You don't understand or know anything about the situation. (Why you put that in bold I don't know)

Thanks for dragging up lots of old posts, from before it was apparent that our owners wanted to pull out, and the amount of money spent/wasted by a certain person in charge. You clearly knew we would be in receivership back then. :rolleyes: Do tell me what's going to happen next.

Maybe we should all be like UCD? :rolleyes:

Your comments relating to the running of the club are way off the mark. You don't understand or know anything about the situation. (Why you put that in bold I don't know)

I think the irony in you chastising me for not understanding what exactly is happening with the running of Cork City FC is delicious. Would you not agree?

I think the irony in you chastising me for not understanding what exactly is happening with the running of Cork City FC is delicious. Would you not agree?

How so? It was very recently that our owners decided to pull out, after the posts you dragged up. We even signed Dudfield a few weeks ago, after I made some of the posts you quoted. Permission was given by the top man to sign Dudfield, and offer Joe a new contract. Mathews said he had a very positive meeting. Fair enough I didn't realise the amount of money wasted on certain items, but I don't have access to the accounts. Still, our debt is reasonably small for our owners, but they've had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

So now Reading have Doyle, Lita, N.Hunt, Mooney and Long?!? Does this mean Doyle or Lita are on their way? or has Shane Long been been pushed further down the pecking order?

glenjamin wrote: »
    So now Reading have Doyle, Lita, N.Hunt, Mooney and Long?!? Does this mean Doyle or Lita are on their way? or has Shane Long been been pushed further down the pecking order?

Not sure tbh, but there rumours that Doyle will leave, Aston Villa being a popular destination.

• Advertisement

Isn't that what we have been telling you? In a perfect world, and we were not owned by a shower of morons a €250k bid would be laughed at.

And why double post the Drogs stuff? I saw it first time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Why is Mooney all of a sudden worth €1m? That is twice the Irish transfer record. The lad has had two good season in the LOI, so by all accounts is still very much unproven.

Why is it so often "the next big thing" to come out of the LOI for apparent peanuts ends up struggling to make the grade across the water? Perhaps the simple reason is that more often than not they are not good enough. So perhaps talking about fees in the region of €1m is a bit ridiculous.

It's sad to see a young potentially excellent player by Irish standards leave the LOI. It's good to see him go somewhere that he should develop a lot more than if he went to the highest level.

The notion that the fee is peanuts as it's just two players wages for a season says more about the state of the clubs' wage structure than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

serious potential; saw him a few times live.... looks a class act. Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Isn't that what we have been telling you? In a perfect world, and we were not owned by a shower of morons a €250k bid would be laughed at.

And why double post the Drogs stuff? I saw it first time?

The facts are that City are in examinership and any offer for any player will be taken seriously by those involved. Ideally Mooney would cost roughly 500k to 750k. What makes the offer derisory is when you compare what Mooney cost with what Sunderland paid for Meyler a week ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He has been excellent player for us. Think he will have no problem scoring in England too.

We took advantage of Longford when they were in trouble and Reading are dishing out to us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Mooney is starting the season with Reading in the same position as Kevin Doyle a few years back. He'll be going in there without any close season rust and will be at the top of his game. Championship centre-halves, who have been sunning their arses while Dave Mooney has been rattling nets all over Ireland, should be worried. I can remember Steve Coppell attributing these circumstances to Doyle's very immediate success at Reading.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares but anything I saw of him on MNS just yelled 'class'.

Was it £400,000 Cork received for Roy O'Donovan? Not to mention the large number of add-ons in the deal. That really puts it into context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

What are you talking about? We are in the most stable position of any club on the island.

And we have 5% of the Mooney sale coming our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He has been given an opportunity to build a successful career - a platform to reach the top if he's good enough. That was never on offer at Cork City.
    Not sure I follow you - finishing out the season at Cork would not have done him any harm. There was nothing stopping him from moving across the water at a later date.
    Unlike all those well-run clubs in England, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

djpbarry wrote: »
    Unlike all those well-run clubs in England, eh?

what has that got to do with dave mooney going to reading:confused:

I think his point is that clubs are being mis managed everywhere. That this is not an exclusive problem to CCFC, or the LOI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement