Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Mooney joins Reading

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

event wrote: »
    what has that got to do with dave mooney going to reading:confused:

Its a bit difficult to take lectures from English fans over the way clubs are run.

Thaskin? Abramovich? The entire english middle divisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

What are you talking about? We are in the most stable position of any club on the island.

And we have 5% of the Mooney sale coming our way.
    Sligo Rovers

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Sligo Rovers

If you meant Sligo, say Sligo.

The Olé's on here would have read your post and thought there were problems at Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Its a bit difficult to take lectures from English fans over the way clubs are run.

Thaskin? Abramovich? The entire english middle divisions?

but again, that has nothing to do with the dave mooney transfer
    the reason he was sold was as a direct result of cork being mismanaged, so thats why it was posted

no need to get so defensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Will Owen O'Callaghan bail Cork City out of difficulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

djpbarry wrote: »
    Unlike all those well-run clubs in England, eh?
    what has that got to do with dave mooney going to reading:confused:
    As OhNoYouDidn't and gimmick have alluded to, financial problems are not exclusive to Irish clubs. For example, scarcely a season passes without reports surfacing of an English club encountering serious financial difficulties.

Badly-run clubs is often cited by critics as one of the main reasons why the League of Ireland has difficulty attracting fans, but English clubs are just as badly run, if not worse. According to a BBC report, fewer than half of all Premiership clubs posted a profit for the 2005-06 season.

The case of Shelbourne is often used in support of the “badly-run clubs” argument, but Shels’ debts (as reported in January 2007) pale in comparison to the losses reported by Chelsea in recent seasons (£80.43 million in 05/06 and £74.8 million in 06/07).

but again, that has nothing to do with the dave mooney transfer
    the reason he was sold was as a direct result of cork being mismanaged, so thats why it was posted

no need to get so defensive

If you think this mess is as a result of 'mismanagement' you have fundamentally missed the point. This is a distant owner getting out on their own terms.

One of the reasons Cawk fans accepted Argkaga was that it seemed that Irish money men were finally getting involved in the way they have been doing overseas. Or in the way most top English sides are going.

The key point is that what is happening to Cork could happen to Man City, Chelsea, Rangers, Liverpool, Man Utd etc. as business men who are using also the clubs as part of other business empires feel the credit crunch. Nothing to do with mismanagement. So this sneering attitude from England fans is hard to take here.

---EDIT---

Well put DJB. Another point I would make is the good news / bad news bias in the Irish press in terms of finances or hooliganism. Compare the volume of bad news column inches on the LoI versus match reports, previews etc. Now compare the EPL or SPL coverage using the same criteria.

The LoI is essentially ignored but for negative stories and the EPL bad news is glossed over.

i dont see anyone claiming that english clubs are run perfectly, sure the world and its mother knows most clubs are living on borrowed money

im a leeds fan ffs, i know all about nearly going to the wall.

ill admit i dont know the ins and outs of corks' finances and owners, but i still think that how english teams are doing has no relevance to this thread.

a sneering attitude?

boo hoo, its nothing compared to the chip on the shoulders of some EL fans

i dont see anyone claiming that english clubs are run perfectly, sure the world and its mother knows most clubs are living on borrowed money

im a leeds fan ffs, i know all about nearly going to the wall.

ill admit i dont know the ins and outs of corks' finances and owners, but i still think that how english teams are doing has no relevance to this thread.

a sneering attitude?

boo hoo, its nothing compared to the chip on the shoulders of some EL fans

The point is Mooney is going for a fraction of his true worth because of the situation Argaka have left Cawk in. The debate is in that context.

• Advertisement

im genuinely wondering, how have cork landed in this situation?
    they have sold the likes of doyle, long, o donovan and there may be others, and now mooney. how is it that they have ended up like this?

i dont know how much they got but would other LOI clubs have earned around the same from transfers?
    where has the money gone for these guys, was it re-invested in a squad or stadium or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As a CCFC fan, I have no idea where the money has gone. Arkaga have stated they sunk in €2.4m. Add on the Alan Bennett and Roy O Donovan transfers of approx €1.1m between them, you are up to €3.5m. It boggles the mind, but here is my theory

Our rebranding, with the new crest and "our" colour of green set the club back at least €50k. There was a radio advert, which is so bad its untrue, which cost upwards of another €10k. There are 3 people in the back office doing what is more or less the same job, earning salaries of €130k between them. Denis Behan has a clean sheet bonus ffs. We have 29 full time players on our books. So you can see a pattern of recklessness there immediately.

im genuinely wondering, how have cork landed in this situation?
    they have sold the likes of doyle, long, o donovan and there may be others, and now mooney. how is it that they have ended up like this?

i dont know how much they got but would other LOI clubs have earned around the same from transfers?
    where has the money gone for these guys, was it re-invested in a squad or stadium or what?

My understanding is Argaka kept it. And then decided that they didn't own the company so didn't have to pay the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

djpbarry wrote: »
    As OhNoYouDidn't and gimmick have alluded to, financial problems are not exclusive to Irish clubs. For example, scarcely a season passes without reports surfacing of an English club encountering serious financial difficulties.

Badly-run clubs is often cited by critics as one of the main reasons why the League of Ireland has difficulty attracting fans, but English clubs are just as badly run, if not worse. According to a BBC report, fewer than half of all Premiership clubs posted a profit for the 2005-06 season.

The case of Shelbourne is often used in support of the “badly-run clubs” argument, but Shels’ debts (as reported in January 2007) pale in comparison to the losses reported by Chelsea in recent seasons (£80.43 million in 05/06 and £74.8 million in 06/07).
    Relatively speaking though - given that the important thing is how significant operating debt is relative to turnover - Shelbourne WERE an absolute shambles. Chelsea are at least going in the right direction losing less and less as the years go by and projections of operating profit within the next six - ten years.

But yes, of course this stuff is a potential occurrence at every world footballing club who have pitched their anchor in the pools of the rich, footballing mad, donor type. And the only Irish club at present with rock solid financial potential is Bohs.

However, don't you know Liverpool or Chelsea would receive the same stick if they did go tits up in this manner? And many of those most vocal about it would be EL fans!! And there are other EL clubs visibly struggling at present also. It's a bad time for the league - and I believe it is time for downscaling by everyone.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread (and have alluded to in the past every time we get into these debates), I actively support UCD!! And we're a club that's never going out of business!!

gimmick wrote: »
    Our rebranding, with the new crest and "our" colour of green set the club back at least €50k. There was a radio advert, which is so bad its untrue, which cost upwards of another €10k. There are 3 people in the back office doing what is more or less the same job, earning salaries of €130k between them. Denis Behan has a clean sheet bonus ffs. We have 29 full time players on our books.

Wow. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And the only Irish club at present with rock solid financial potential is Bohs.

lol, I wish. Unfortunately everyone with a say in how things are done at Bohs learned their skills from Ollie Byrne.

• Advertisement

just about to say that

****, even chelsea dont have that many IIRC

thats a lot of players on full time wages

bohsman wrote: »
    lol, I wish. Unfortunately everyone with a say in how things are done at Bohs learned their skills from Ollie Byrne.

Oh dear. Well, even Ollie Byrne would take YEARS to squander that golden goose! :pac:

Oh dear. Well, even Ollie Byrne would take YEARS to squander that golden goose! :pac:

Wish we were definitely getting a golden goose, looking bleak at the moment, silver lining could be staying in Dalymount if things were done right and we got a bit of luck, not looking good tho.

And the only Irish club at present with rock solid financial potential is Bohs.

You fail at football.

You fail at football.

Was wondering how long it would take you to show up :)

• Advertisement

You fail at football.

You need a fail pic sir:

fail.jpg

Wow. Why?

Million dollar question that. Some blame it on Rico, others blame the erstwhile CEO Aidan Tynan. I blame both. Rico knew he was on the way out before last season ended, yet he offered 2-3 year deals to the likes of Sean Kelly, Mark McNulty, Admir Softic. Tynan should not have ratified these deals. Not to mention he should have looked at the small print. AFAIK, only Neal Horgan des not have a goal scoring bonus is his. And as I said above about Denis Behan. Id say he could not have signed that quick enough.

City also signed a few players like Craig Duggan, John Tierney, Dave Meyler and Tim Kiely and Alan O Connor all to full time deals. All of whom were back up players at best. Majority of whom, in fact, will not play in the league or cup this season. Meyler was the only one good enough, but had Gamble and Healy in his way.

Now I was actually mistaken in 29, it was actually 26 full time, plus 3 part time at its worst. Since George O Callaghan, Admir Softic and Dave Mulcahy have left.

gimmick wrote: »
    Million dollar question that. Some blame it on Rico, others blame the erstwhile CEO Aidan Tynan. I blame both. Rico knew he was on the way out before last season ended, yet he offered 2-3 year deals to the likes of Sean Kelly, Mark McNulty, Admir Softic. Tynan should not have ratified these deals. Not to mention he should have looked at the small print. AFAIK, only Neal Horgan des not have a goal scoring bonus is his. And as I said above about Denis Behan. Id say he could not have signed that quick enough.

City also signed a few players like Craig Duggan, John Tierney, Dave Meyler and Tim Kiely and Alan O Connor all to full time deals. All of whom were back up players at best. Majority of whom, in fact, will not play in the league or cup this season. Meyler was the only one good enough, but had Gamble and Healy in his way.

Now I was actually mistaken in 29, it was actually 26 full time, plus 3 part time at its worst. Since George O Callaghan, Admir Softic and Dave Mulcahy have left.

Mmmm. Well you don't need me to tell you that isn't a particularly efficient way to be doing business.

As I have said time out of number, its reckless.

Advertisement