Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Incident on the Quay

• 20-08-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was driving across the bridge in Waterford today at 12.50 and had just turned the corner onto quay when I saw a young lad standing in the middle of the lane about 50m in front of me.

Initially I thought he was crossing the road but I saw that he had a wheel brace in his hand and was looking rather agitated. He then proceeded to throw the wheelbrace through the window of a van that was beside him (I think a Mercedes Vito van)

He then sprinted back across the road and ran up Penrose Lane. The van then decided he was following him and drove up Penrose Lane (a one way street in which you can only travel the opposite direction)

I couldn't belive what I was seeing although given the recent troubles in Waterford nothing surprises me anymore. I'm just so glad I didn't bear the brunt of this guys anger

I parked in Barker St anyway near the police station and was walking up past the police station when two unmarked cars came out of the station in an awful hurry and went in the direction of o'connell street. I assume this was related to what I had witnessed

Anyway on a side note the first police car that came out of the station almost mowed me down. He drove straight out of the compound at a stupid speed straight onto the footpath where I was standing. If I hadn't jumped back I would definitely have been hit. There was no acknowledgement from them of what they had done. His window was open and he could have apoligised for nearly hitting me. I think its disgraceful how police officers drive and are unanswerable to the law. I'd make a complaint but what's the point?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Everything else fair enough, related to Waterford. But the last bit, I fail to see how its related (bar it happened here). Did you create the thread specificaly to talk about how the guards nearly killed you, or talk about another incident in Wateford? If the later, fair enough. If not, not really the right forum for such questions. That question might get answered better elsewhere, up to you though :)

Anywhome, dont suppose you made a statement to the Guards about what you saw (the incident with the van window being smashed in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Jaysus with all the goings on, im coming back home at christmas i dunno what to expect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Expect your life to carry on as normal, this crap is not effecting 99.8% of the population.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 v2rs1111

To be fair I created the thread to talk about both to be honest. I don't understand how you think its not related to Waterford when both incidents happened in Waterford and it was a member of the Waterford Guards

Don't really see where else I could have posted the second part of the original post

To be honest I feel if someone does something wrong, ie the guards, I don't see why it is unacceptable to say so. I certainly won't apologise for what I said.

I didn't make a statement to the guards. I don't want to be involved in whatever is going on in the city. Its bad enough having to come into Waterford now with the recent trouble without looking to get involved

To be honest I try avoid the place lately since all these feuds broke out. Not worth the hassle. I'd say tourists will see it likewise if it continues

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

v2rs1111 wrote: »
    To be fair I created the thread to talk about both to be honest. I don't understand how you think its not related to Waterford when both incidents happened in Waterford and it was a member of the Waterford Guards

Your misunderstanding me. :) Regardless of where it happened, usually topics querying should they complain a Garda for knocking them down is discussed in other forums rather then regional. You would get a quicker, more honest and straight forward response then possible posts here bashing the gardai in general and not being very helpful.
    Don't really see where else I could have posted the second part of the original post

Tbh, either am I :P They crop up in the Emergency Services forum or After Hours a bit. I was going to say if you wanted, I could look into it for you? I'm just looking to assist you in getting proper answers to that question. :)
    To be honest I feel if someone does something wrong, ie the guards, I don't see why it is unacceptable to say so. I certainly won't apologise for what I said.

Agreed. I have not asked you to apologies. :) I was meerly pointing out that if your thread was asking "Should I complain a Guard?" that the Waterford forum probably isn't the appropriate forum for decent answers.
    I didn't make a statement to the guards. I don't want to be involved in whatever is going on in the city. Its bad enough having to come into Waterford now with the recent trouble without looking to get involved

To be honest I try avoid the place lately since all these feuds broke out. Not worth the hassle. I'd say tourists will see it likewise if it continues

You see the problem here is, people give out about the law in general not protecting citizens and the city is falling apart. If you are not willing to give a statement to Gardai, the chances are these scumbags wont be arrested and charged. And you have people suggesting vigilante groups be setup to deal with something that Gardai and law officials are trained to do!!

I can understand why people would prefer to avoid the law and making complaints, but at the same time - if it was your car, or if you (or a family or friend member was) were badly assaulted and wanted the culprit caught - wouldn't you expect people to make a statement? No?

No town is free of crime unfortunately, and iv no idea if this is related to ongoing feuds or just another scumbag causing crime.

• Advertisement

@ mike65

not sure what you meant by your post.. i'll take it as being supportive even though I'm not sure ;-)

@ sully

Fair enough I take your comments on board. I won't be a frequent poster here anyway as I only joined in the hope of selling my phone on adverts so we won't have any issues with me voicing my opinions in the wrong sections.

In relation to the law issue I wasn't bashing the police in general I think they have an especially tough job I was merely commenting on the way they drive. Regardless I won't be entering into an argument about morality and right and wrong with regards reporting the offence as I don't have any inclination to. I'm not saying I'm right I'm just saying I'm not arguing about it.

@ sully

Fair enough I take your comments on board. I won't be a frequent poster here anyway as I only joined in the hope of selling my phone on adverts so we won't have any issues with me voicing my opinions in the wrong sections.

Something wrong with becoming a regular? :)
    In relation to the law issue I wasn't bashing the police in general I think they have an especially tough job I was merely commenting on the way they drive. Regardless I won't be entering into an argument about morality and right and wrong with regards reporting the offence as I don't have any inclination to. I'm not saying I'm right I'm just saying I'm not arguing about it.

Ah don't worry, I don't think you did - I was just giving a friendly heads up :)

no nothing at all wrong with becoming a regular. I just don't have the time to post. Have read plenty of interesting things on here over the years

that's grand so about the lack of an argument.

no nothing at all wrong with becoming a regular. I just don't have the time to post. Have read plenty of interesting things on here over the years

that's grand so about the lack of an argument.

Okay.. fair enough! Best of luck with the phone selling anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

v2rs1111

I was repliing to magick

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sully wrote: »
    Everything else fair enough, related to Waterford. But the last bit, I fail to see how its related (bar it happened here). Did you create the thread specificaly to talk about how the guards nearly killed you, or talk about another incident in Wateford? If the later, fair enough. If not, not really the right forum for such questions im afraid and Garda bashing is generally frowned upon! :)

Anywhome, dont suppose you made a statement to the Guards about what you saw?

It would be garda bashing of a different sort if they'd hit him and put him in ardkeen. The two parts of his post are related imo, especially to the increased level of tension in town.

first theres an incident on the quay then the guards react in such a way as to almost injure a bystander. I think your reading entirely the wrong thing into his post tbh *edit -seems you already acknowledged this..kinda ;)* carry on :)

It would be garda bashing of a different sort if they'd hit him and put him in ardkeen. The two parts of his post are related imo, especially to the increased level of tension in town.

Iv explained why I don't think the second part should be in this forum. :) I got a bit of a feeling the OP didn't like the Guards, or felt that complaints wouldn't be solved, if he did complain. Thats nothing to do with Waterford. If he was hit, the Garda Ombudsman would start an investigation immediately.
    first theres an incident on the quay then the guards react in such a way as to almost injure a bystander.

Yup, but he was asking a question rather then making a point :)

Iv explained why I don't think the second part should be in this forum. :) I got a bit of a feeling the OP didn't like the Guards, or felt that complaints wouldn't be solved, if he did complain. Thats nothing to do with Waterford. If he was hit, the Garda Ombudsman would start an investigation immediately.

Yup, but he was asking a question rather then making a point :)

Perhaps. but if you were almost hit by a car I'd say you'd be a bit cheesed off as well :p

he should have gone into the garda station in any case to report it, I'm sure he would have gotten at least an apology for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

From different posts on different threads this week, I'm betting that you're really enjoying being a moderator Sully?

Perhaps. but if you were almost hit by a car I'd say you'd be a bit cheesed off as well :p

Very much so.
    he should have gone into the garda station in any case to report it, I'm sure he would have gotten at least an apology for it.

Who gets right of way outside the entrance anyway? Should the pedestrian not be more careful crossing or should the Garda not be more careful leaving? I'm going to go for both.

Who gets right of way outside the entrance anyway? Should the pedestrian not be more careful crossing or should the Garda not be more careful leaving? I'm going to go for both.

both but I've seen them zipping out of that entrance/exit at a fair rate of knots and with the high walls on both sides of the entrance/exit visibility for a car coming out is poor.

both but I've seen them zipping out of that entrance/exit at a fair rate of knots and with the high walls on both sides of the entrance/exit visibility for a car coming out is poor.

They should really put their sirens on, or beep as they are coming out if in a rush.. The OP should say it to the sargent - lucky he didnt get hit. I wonder is the incidents with Gardai hitting people accidentally (which has happened around the country) when driving due to driving to fast?

Back to his first point, I think it might have been just standard crime which happens anywhere. I assume we would have found out if it was connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Everything else fair enough, related to Waterford. But the last bit, I fail to see how its related (bar it happened here). Did you create the thread specificaly to talk about how the guards nearly killed you, or talk about another incident in Wateford? If the later, fair enough. If not, not really the right forum for such questions. That question might get answered better elsewhere, up to you though :)

Anywhome, dont suppose you made a statement to the Guards about what you saw (the incident with the van window being smashed in).

Why is this not related ? The OP saw an act of violence and possibly could have been seriously injured as a possible result of the response.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Why is this not related ? The OP saw an act of violence and possibly could have been seriously injured as a possible result of the response.

He was asking whether a complaint should have been made or not. I was just trying to be bloody helpful and would have found a forum where he might have got a better answer rather then a general yes and also given advise on how to do it. IF he wanted to. He doesn't, fine, its still here.

For what its worth, I do think the garda should be reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

...................Anyway on a side note the first police car that came out of the station almost mowed me down. He drove straight out of the compound at a stupid speed straight onto the footpath where I was standing. If I hadn't jumped back I would definitely have been hit. There was no acknowledgement from them of what they had done. His window was open and he could have apoligised for nearly hitting me. I think its disgraceful how police officers drive and are unanswerable to the law. I'd make a complaint but what's the point?

It is annoying in general how drivers drive with little care when coming out of entrances that cross over footpaths. I was out running one evening and was coming down the Gracedieu Road just after Cairn Glas. When I was passing the drive way of one of the houses some dope shot out in front of me in his car, missing me by about an inch and flew of down the road. If I was one step ahead of what I was he would have broken my leg, easily. Bloody Twat. :mad:

• Advertisement

It is annoying in general how drivers drive with little care when coming out of entrances that cross over footpaths. I was out running one evening and was coming down the Gracedieu Road just after Cairn Glas. When I was passing the drive way of one of the houses some dope shot out in front of me in his car, missing me by about an inch and flew of down the road. If I was one step ahead of what I was he would have broken my leg, easily. Bloody Twat. :mad:

Driving in general is poor. I saw a learner driver go around the roundabout the wrong way today, despite an arrow pointing the opposite direction (not the ones on the roundabout, but the ones before it on the island).

Pedestrians need to take more care on the roads also - even when drivers aren't in the wrong they have a tendency to do stupid things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I saw a learned driver go around the roundabout the wrong way today

I would have thought he'd have known better ;)

As for the OP, that's a strange incident indeed. Could easily have been a case of road rage though, although nothing surprises me nowadays!

Oh and Sully, stop sticking up for the Gardaí so much, they aren't all our knights in shining armour. I have an uncle in the force and his sheer incompetance never seizes to amaze me! How someone like him can be trusted to exercise the arm of the law is beyond me! (We

AdMMM wrote: »
    Oh and Sully, stop sticking up for the Gardaí so much, they aren't all our knights in shining armour. I have an uncle in the force and his sheer incompetance never seizes to amaze me! How someone like him can be trusted to exercise the arm of the law is beyond me! (We

Eh right ya. Im not saying there perfect, but its hardly fair to critise them when they havent actually done anything wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well in the case of the OP, I'd be probably on here calling the driver every name under the sun and wouldn't consider it Garda bashing... more so dangerous driver bashing :)

AdMMM wrote: »
    Well in the case of the OP, I'd be probably on here calling the driver every name under the sun and wouldn't consider it Garda bashing... more so dangerous driver bashing :)

Ah ya, I know, but regardless of what happens I was just giving a heads up that kinda ****e (towards anyone) isnt liked. Just being friendly and helpful! Id be the same of course, and think a complaint should be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Talk about going off the post here,
    Sully surely we should be staying on topic here, all that other stuff should be PM'd...
    V2rs111 was making a post about an incident on the Quays and how he noticed the Gaurds in waterford react under the current overall situation in Waterford...

I had heard about the incident on the quay, but no one I spoke to has any indication if its related to the current feud or not.....

robtri wrote: »
    Talk about going off the post here,
    Sully surely we should be staying on topic here, all that other stuff should be PM'd...
    V2rs111 was making a post about an incident on the Quays and how he noticed the Gaurds in waterford react under the current overall situation in Waterford...

I had heard about the incident on the quay, but no one I spoke to has any indication if its related to the current feud or not.....

It has been on topic mostly.. bar the odd off topic bit which happens in most threads. :)

Does anyone know what type of white van it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Does anyone know what type of white van it was?
    (I think a Mercedes Vito van)

Mossy Monk wrote: »

My bad, didn't spot that part. Not the usual van the travellers tend to use - looks very like what the taxi's use around the city! Though, it seems an unusual act of vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My bad, didn't spot that part. Not the usual van the travellers tend to use - looks very like what the taxi's use around the city! Though, it seems an unusual act of vandalism.

certainly does, lets hope the Gardai got the muppet in the end

Advertisement