Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which single person has contributed most to the human race?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    perhaps the guy who invented penicilin , whats his face

This is his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Eamon De Valera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'd say either Edward Jenner or Louis Pasteur. Their work on disease treatment and vaccines has saved millions of lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Nope, Fleming was another rip off merchant I'm afraid, he didn't discover it, just popuralised it i.e did none of the work but took all the credit.

(ok I'll stop now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Heather Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I like to think I've contributed a lot to humanity.

Yeah, I'm great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was going to say Barry Scott but according to Time magazine, who publish a list of the most influential people of the twentieth century, it's Albert Einstein with the runners up being Roosevelt and Ghandi. They change the list every year with Oprah holding the record for being in the list six times.

So I'll have to go with Heather Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

James Bond Jr. FTW

He chased S.C.U.M around the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Captain Birdseye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

OK... the lads who invented the wheel. That did not just pave the way for the Audi A5 but mechanisms that are used to manufacture items of high value such as life saving drugs... and other things i can't think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

RonMexico wrote: »
    Captain Birdseye

+ 1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Morlar wrote: »
    He found out how to use fire too - v handy he was.

Prometheus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Eve?

**B!ue ducks and runs!**

Thomas Newcomen
    Invented the steam engine, without which modern life as we know it wouldn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Chuck Norris

obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Jeebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

milton friedman

give him time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thomas Malthus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Antithetic wrote: »
    Thomas Malthus.
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
    Controversial!

His laissez-faire policies exacerbated the famine. That forced a million Irish to move to America. That would eventually turn America into the economic juggernaut it is today, inducing all of its inventions which, of course, includes the internet.

Aw, I thought that you were one of those who are begining to support his views:( (he seems to be becoming more popular recently)

Aw, I thought that you were one of those who are begining to support his views:( (he seems to be becoming more popular recently)

No, I'm trolling. D'uh. His views were/are ridiculous. Technological advancement FTW.

Antithetic wrote: »
    No, I'm trolling. D'uh. His views were/are ridiculous. Technological advancement FTW.
    You don't think that there is a limit to the expansion of food production? (I don't like his ideas, but I sometimes wonder if he wasn't just premature)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg. His invention of moveable type printing paved the way for the last 600 years of improvements by allowing the rapid dissemenation of ideas and advances as well as allowing their storage for future study after the deaths of the originators of the ideas. Almost everything we can achieve today can be linked to his work because we all learn from printed books everywhere around the world. He may not be the greatest human who ever lived but his invention of movable type printing is the nexus for rapid and sustained human advancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I would say that Norman Borlaug is worth a mention here. I believe he is probably the biggest contributor who is (AFAIK) still alive. He is commonly credited with saving over a billion people from starvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say Hitler too, if it wasn't for him we may not have the European Union, the UN or strict controls over the way the military invade a country. He was a bastard but good things came out of his madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

HITLER defo, Evil bastard but if it wasnt for him wed be speaking with a cockney or scouser accent now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hisroyalbadness

Go Darwin go!

Advertisement