Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC browsing sloooooow

Options
  • 20-08-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey,

Im on UPC's 20Mb broadband. When downloading i regularly max out my connection and get 2.2MB/s . The problem is that when I'm just generally browsing the net it is sometimes painfully slow and I am not talking about simultaneous downloading and browsing; just simple browsing, reading emails etc

I am using FF3 but have tried it on IE and its no different. I have read up one speeding up FF by enabling pipelining and stuff which helped slightly but it is still not what should be expected of 20Mb.

Any help/advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dhaddock wrote: »
    Hey,

Im on UPC's 20Mb broadband. When downloading i regularly max out my connection and get 2.2MB/s . The problem is that when I'm just generally browsing the net it is sometimes painfully slow and I am not talking about simultaneous downloading and browsing; just simple browsing, reading emails etc

I am using FF3 but have tried it on IE and its no different. I have read up one speeding up FF by enabling pipelining and stuff which helped slightly but it is still not what should be expected of 20Mb.

Any help/advice appreciated...

If you can download at 2.2MB/s then it's not your connection, it's either a port problem (unlikely) or computer-borne. Try a virus scan/clear cache etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You can also try changing your dns servers, try www.opendns.com to see if it makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

thanks for the replies.

i tried changing dns servers and it did speed up another little bit but not enough to warrant a third party handling all my requests for me (paranoid :)). i tried clearing cache/checking ports and all that before posting. ok back to google :p

Advertisement