Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I could give you one piece of advice...

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

golden gal wrote: »
    I would say pretty much all of the above and also LEARN PLACES THAT GIVE STUDENT DISCOUNT and save the money for the important things like cheap drinks nights!!!! Like if you are in Liffey Valley, the cinema topshop, miss selfridge, topman, burton, warehouse, new look, envy, dorothy perkins, barratts, zavvi, schuh, and game all give a minimum of 10%! Also be check out all the free stuff that gets given out throughout the year like by banks and stuff!

Yeah and the pharmacy in the manor mills give a discount too. 10% as well I think. Great for all those "essentials" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

15% in manor mills, 10% on mainstreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Enjoy it while it lasts, I graduated yesterday and am missing it already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

My best advise is not to take things seriously, especially in the first couple of years.People will convince you of the importance of I dunno,''doing well'', whatever that means.
    This could be the last time you'll have time or oppertunity to enjoy yourself.You can completely act yourself and you'll always find people who'll be into that, whatever it is.If you enjoy some subject by all means persue it, it's pretty rare.Don't be one of those ridiculously serious people who convince themselves that what they're doing is really important and are pre-occupied with results. more important than this, is that you find out about yourself, what you're comfortable with.
    I mean it's not a big deal at all, you're just going to school, the same as you were in senior infants, it's no more difficult, no matter what you're doing, just find a balance that you like.

Hell if you want to take some drugs and have sex with strangers, even if they're not that good looking, by all means, what difference will it make to your life....none really.This is only one more year out of the next 70.I don't see why people make such a big deal of it.But then some of you come from Islands and boarding schools so maybe it takes a big adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

pisslips wrote: »

My best advise is not to take things seriously, especially in the first couple of years.People will convince you of the importance of I dunno,''doing well'', whatever that means.
    This could be the last time you'll have time or oppertunity to enjoy yourself.You can completely act yourself and you'll always find people who'll be into that, whatever it is.If you enjoy some subject by all means persue it, it's pretty rare.Don't be one of those ridiculously serious people who convince themselves that what they're doing is really important and are pre-occupied with results. more important than this, is that you find out about yourself, what you're comfortable with.
    I mean it's not a big deal at all, you're just going to school, the same as you were in senior infants, it's no more difficult, no matter what you're doing, just find a balance that you like.

Hell if you want to take some drugs and have sex with strangers, even if they're not that good looking, by all means, what difference will it make to your life....none really.This is only one more year out of the next 70.I don't see why people make such a big deal of it.But then some of you come from Islands and boarding schools so maybe it takes a big adjustment.

'Doing well' means coming out with a qualification of a standard that gives you options, whether it be employment or post-graduate study.

Unfortunately the question "had you a great time?" or "did you get laid often?" will not crop up on any application forms or interviews and sweet memories will take you only so far.

Having sex with strangers may not make much difference to your life (I thought the whole idea of drugs was to change your life albeit temporarily........unless I am missing something) but the same can be said of a bad degree.

The key is to enjoy yourself and to 'do well'. It is also a lot less stressful if studies are not completely disregarded. I know of very few people who are happy looking back that they did not take study more seriously especially those who ended up in dead-end jobs as a result.

Doing nothing in the study stakes should not be glorified and it is dishonest to present it as part some grand plan to 'find yourself' when essentially all it is is laziness and a lack of maturity to cope in a setting which requires self-starting and motivation. There's no grand plan, it's just bluffers trying to make a virtue of their own inertia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Don't be one of those ridiculously serious people who convince themselves that what they're doing is really important and are pre-occupied with results. more important than this, is that you find out about yourself, what you're comfortable with.

...and that could mean taking college seriously and being pre-occupied with results.

Rosita is right. Have a good time AND do well. For some people, having a good time IS studying and spending a lot of time in the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Rosita wrote: »
    'Doing well' means coming out with a qualification of a standard that gives you options, whether it be employment or post-graduate study.

Unfortunately the question "had you a great time?" or "did you get laid often?" will not crop up on any application forms or interviews and sweet memories will take you only so far.

Having sex with strangers may not make much difference to your life (I thought the whole idea of drugs was to change your life albeit temporarily........unless I am missing something) but the same can be said of a bad degree.

The key is to enjoy yourself and to 'do well'. It is also a lot less stressful if studies are not completely disregarded. I know of very few people who are happy looking back that they did not take study more seriously especially those who ended up in dead-end jobs as a result.

Doing nothing in the study stakes should not be glorified and it is dishonest to present it as part some grand plan to 'find yourself' when essentially all it is is laziness and a lack of maturity to cope in a setting which requires self-starting and motivation. There's no grand plan, it's just bluffers trying to make a virtue of their own inertia.

Hey I'm not trying to glorify my own personal endeavours or lack thereof. In fact, I'm slightly dissapointed that I didn't have more of a laid back attitude. I think sometimes I worried about things that I should not have, impeding my development, socially emotionally and academically.My point is that I feel that many people see university as some kind of 'last oppertunity'' in their lives for self-improvement or growth or something.The truth is it's just another 3 or 4 years of life, it's no grand examination of one's potential value to society. You can do about 15 degree's in your lifetime if you wish. The point is to live as you mean to carry on. For example, I feel that if someone is spending their evenings trying to cover work now, they may find themselves in that position for the rest of their lives.My point is that life is to be enjoyed, you should have as much fun as possible, why not?
    It reminds me of people who work overtime regularly, some will say,''great 30euros an hour'' and to that I think,''ridiculous, is that what your life, your free time is worth?''.

I used to have a very negative philosophy that if you can't do something quite easily then it's not something you should do,not your ''calling''.
    However, obviously if you want to feel content then one would have to achieve things that are challenging. I believe though that a certain balance is more healthy.Lot's of people seem to focus on the negatives, like,''oh I drank too much too often'', ''I got high a lot'' etc. but in fact the truth is that person had at least 4 hours to spare every day when they weren't high or drunk, in which they didn't study........which leads me to believe that such a person wasn't really interested in the subject amd that, ''partying'' or whatever is just a scapegoat.

I just think that some people get too negative about their studies they seem to feel that they don't have time to enjoy themselves. Now I'm not trying to glorify a ''lazy'' aproach to life, I'm just condoning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

This has gotten damn serious all of a sudden!

My advice, and very simple it is (especially if you're on campus), is to get a pair of waterproof boots (because you'll look a tit in wellies) so you can cut across the grass on the way to lectures!
    Shaves minutes off your trip, and it all builds up!
    Must have saved at least 5 hours last year :P

Enjoy maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

And dont be that person in the exam hall who has a packet of strepsils that they're opening every five minutes... someone sitting two up and one across from me during the summer exams for EN114 and 113 was recking my and everyone elses head... sore throat fair enough but still.. the noise...

jaysus you're fairly precise lad, r ya hoping some1 is going to own up or wat?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slash291

Just to get back to the Guinness debate....

Don't drink it in the SU, if you want a really good one go to the old man bar in Brady's, failing that go to the back bar in brady's, and for the best pint ever go to the GAA on d Moyglare road (you probably wont find too many students there so...brady's it is!)

Im from Maynooth and i just finished in DIT, but im startin in 2nd year Finance next week! I'v worked in d college for d last 5 years on and off or somethin like that...so if u get lost i'll point you in the right direction! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 donomo

.But then some of you come from Islands and boarding schools so maybe it takes a big adjustment.

Hey I'm from an island!! does anyone know any way of getting to mayo from maynooth/dublin area that doesnt involve alot of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

cheers to everyone here!

in Wednesday for the 'hows it going' day and all that.

Is there an Irish language society on campus? And is it any good?
    I want to keep the Irish up to scratch, but not bore myself to dead.
    Few social beers with the C.Focal would do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

It's a crap college, don't go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi Donomo, I'm from mayo and after 5 years to and from the west the short answer is no! The train is insanely expensive even with a student travel card. The bus started off at 18 when I was in first year from Ballina to Maynooth as a student, I think its now 21.50 or more. Only cheap way is to not go home as often!

And in response to horsefumbler you are officially the only person I've met who didn't like maynooth. What exactly happened or why do you think its crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 donomo

Cool hey, i thought there might be student chartered buses to and from the west. but alas.

Looking forward to starting tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Aren't we all from an Island? As for coming from Mayo, cycle. You'll be super fit come the end of your final year anyway :D

None that applied to me. Check with the students union, they generally know and best of luck tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 URCHEEEZ

I cant wait for freshers!!:D

still hafta find a fricken house tho!!!not so much fun!:mad:

to all first years?

Don't make friends with the local college alco if u think he can suck u in to his world!!lol ... it WILL result in you and him sitting in the su most days doing absolutely nothing ... and in the long run ... failing the year!!;)

In saying that ... be friendly!!Most people around Maynooth will have no problem coming over to talk to you randomly(especially on nights out), or to help you out in any way they can!!All u gotta do is ask!

Hmm ... you may find that on certain nights many of the pubs will be jammed! If thats not to ur liking, and once u get a social network, why not get a group of ye and head to a different pub!! Ya have a good night, get to the bar easier, get to harass the dj to play whatever songs ye wanna hear and its pretty hard to lose each other in the "crowd" lol

Only sign up to clubs and socs if ur gunna attend them!Although u'll more than likely wanna sign up to most things on fairs day(those pple are pretty persuasive), theres no point on wasting like 20 euro on things u'll never attend!!Save it for a rainy day!

If u like singing ... join gospel choir!!U dnt hafta be amazing ... and NEVER hafta sing on ur own if u dnt wanna.(not even when joining) Its just good fun!

Don't be afraid to go mad during freshers fortnight, RAG week, bar ex's etc ... college will become the best thing EVER if ya do!!;)

Finally ... pray 4 the L.A to re-open!! jeeez that place was fun!:rolleyes:

Seconded-I spent 16e I think in first year on clubs! Also second to Gospel choir although Drama Soc will always be my first "love" (Had to put the inverted comma's in, all nighters in the aula and vandalism in the SU for Black Box meant some pretty hairy moments! Got to sing at the Jack'll gig with gospel choir in 3rd year which was deadly craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 i-confuse

remember that thursday is assignement day for most depts - so if your racing to get an assignmenet done the computer rooms will be crazy packed!!!

callan hall comps are always good for dossing on.

If you are doing arts, don't choose psychology and englilsh together in first year! HUGE workloads!

join clubs you think you will have an interest in! the trampoline club have crazy weekends away, as do the surfing club too i think!

Despite what they say - the swimming club do not have water polo on a thursday night in the pool!

always get your tickets for bar-ex's early!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement