Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MGMT

• 20-08-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Any one else in love with this band? Their styles quite unique and I found them hard to categorize but I thought I'd stick them in here.
    Tipped as a band to watch in 2008 by Rolling Stone magazine - I'll defo be watching as the lead singer so sooo gorge!!

Their two biggest songs:

[SIZE=-1]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE - Time To Pretend
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUI5MC9tVM[/SIZE] - Electric Feel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Really wasn't mad on the first single, but the song Kids shows a bit more potential. Pretty overrated, but they aren't bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Still have to get the album - been lazy lately :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Awesome album, well worth getting

Not sure we can talk about any possible gig tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Can you discuss it in this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193725&highlight=MGMT

loads of fans in there!

EDIT: Like BrynW mentioned Flo, dont talk about the gig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I wasnt a fan of them at the start, but they are really growing on me at the moment!

Can you discuss it in this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193725&highlight=MGMT

loads of fans in there!

EDIT: Like BrynW mentioned Flo, dont talk about the gig

Funny they never came up when I searched the forums....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://www.discogs.com/artist/MGMT

Its very much early days in my opinion. They have a few great songs but the rest are very forgettable. Lets see how the next ep/lp goes!

Anima wrote: »
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/MGMT

Its very much early days in my opinion. They have a few great songs but the rest are very forgettable. Lets see how the next ep/lp goes!

Aye but isn't that the same really with every band they don't tend to release more then 2-4 really good songs on each album?
    I agree though, hope they can keep it up. They've made quite an impression on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

While I thought that the first half of Oracular Spectacular was excellent, I was less impressed with the second half. Still, different horses...

Anyone heard their first album?

• Advertisement

While I thought that the first half of Oracular Spectacular was excellent, I was less impressed with the second half. Still, different horses...

I've heard of it, haven't actually listened to it though. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Flojo wrote: »
    Any one else in love with this band? Their styles quite unique and I found them hard to categorize but I thought I'd stick them in here.
    Tipped as a band to watch in 2008 by Rolling Stone magazine - I'll defo be watching as the lead singer so sooo gorge!!

Their two biggest songs:

[SIZE=-1]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE - Time To Pretend
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUI5MC9tVM[/SIZE] - Electric Feel

In fairness, I've said before, it's gonzo rock through a now de-rigeured synth. It clearly coins much of the Flaming Lips earlier sound. But the Flaming Lips did it well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Pretty good album, some great songs, some not so great. I think Yeasayer who are from the same area are a better band having seen both live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I really like their album! im really angry that i missed them live over the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I haven't listened to an album as much in a long time. Really great studio band. "Pieces of what" and "Weekend Wars" are my faves (Overlistened to Kids and Time to Pretend!).

Unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned, they are absolutely useless live. Saw them at Rock Werchter and was extremely unimpressed. Heard lots of reports telling the same from other gigs/festivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I heard they were fantastic at one of their liv performances this summer. The place was jammed like couldnt get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horrendously overhyped Scissor Sisters tribute band. One good song ('Time To Pretend') then an album that gets worse and worse as it goes on. From their live clips they look absolutely crap so they don't even have that as a saving grace.

Most overrated band of 2008 right there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Horrendously overhyped Scissor Sisters tribute band. One good song ('Time To Pretend') then an album that gets worse and worse as it goes on. From their live clips they look absolutely crap so they don't even have that as a saving grace.

Yep indeed. Both Scissor Sisters and MGMT have pathetically weak vocalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just as a matter of interest, how does one pronounce their name? Ive heard them referred to as the letters M - G - M - T, but I call them Management?

And yes I like the album, despite 2 or 3 poor tracks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yet another unnecessary thread. Learn to search OP.
    MGMT mehGMT. Two good songs, better than the tings tings. Where are they now? In the process of being forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I bought their album after I heard "Kid" "Time to pretend" and "Electric Feel". Solid songs that I love and I'm addicted to them. Especially "Kids". Listened to the rest of the album and hugely disappointed. They have 3 great songs, and the rest are medicocre at best, but I really wish I didn't purchase the entire album. There's nothing in there that even is remotely on the same par as the three songs I've mentioned. (Nor even a memorable one) So I bought the Ting Tings album thinking the same. As an album as a whole, it was worth my money. (and better as an album than MGMT's in my opinion.) However most over-rated, I don't think so. They were voted by Rolling Stone to be one of the sounds of 2008. Which is right. "Electric Feel" and "Time To Pretend" are the songs for 2008. Kids is a great song but I don't think it's a sound for 2008.

lordgoat wrote: »
    MGMT mehGMT. Two good songs, better than the tings tings. Where are they now? In the process of being forgotten.

Didn't I already say I tried... no need to be rude like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

album is great. While the singles have a fairly modern synth-heavy sound, the rest of the album leans on late-60s psychedelia and 70s space rock, so I can see why people who liked the singles might not like the rest of it. "Of moons, birds and monsters" is probably my favourite song of the year so far...

saw the TV coverage of their Glasto performance, and yeah the lead guy doesn't have a strong live voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Love this band...

"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw in the prime of my life"

Sums up my summer - in a good and bad way :)

Love this band...

"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw in the prime of my life"

Sums up my summer - in a good and bad way :)

Aye I felt that summed me up pretty good too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Very Harsh imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Saw them over the Summer and they started off pretty poor, but in fairness when they warmed up they put on an excellent show.

The album is daycent imo, but not as good as Vampire Weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Thought the exact same. They have some cracking songs on there but the album turns **** after track 7 imo.

Lordgoat & Xavi6 - Why do you always have to be so intolerably rude and snobby about bands you don't like. If you don't like them don't post in here. It's the same tripe all the time - "totally overrated", "[insert olderband name here] tribute band" etc etc. YAWN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

There fairly mincey.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote: »
    Thought the exact same. They have some cracking songs on there but the album turns **** after track 7 imo.

Lordgoat & Xavi6 - Why do you always have to be so intolerably rude and snobby about bands you don't like. If you don't like them don't post in here. It's the same tripe all the time - "totally overrated", "[insert olderband name here] tribute band" etc etc. YAWN!

I think if a thread is started on a band, it is only fair that emphatic praise be met with emphatic criticism.

I disagree. 2 wrongs and all that.

I do agree that theya re overhyped but I really like their first 6 songs on the album. They are something completly different to anything else on the market at the minute and while they may end up being a flash in the pan there's no need to be abusive/rude to the OP. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very Harsh imo.

The truth hurts.

I do agree that theya re overhyped but I really like their first 6 songs on the album. They are something completly different to anything else on the market at the minute and while they may end up being a flash in the pan there's no need to be abusive/rude to the OP. Just my 2 cents.

No one was 'abusive/rude' to the OP, if they were then they would have been banned for personal abuse.

Last time I looked this was a discussion board, not a 'let's not hurt someones feelings by expressing a negative opinion' board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

As usual, hype has killed a band. Before they were "the next big thing" (i.e. 3/4 months ago) they were completely refreshing in a genre that had become very stale.
    I think it's totally unfair to judge a bang on their mainstream hype - 7 out of the 10 songs on the album are excellent. A pretty good achievement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not actually a case of "if you don't like them, don't post here" as the thread doesn't specify that you can only make positive comments. They're entitled to express their opinion, sprinkles. Although I must admit I don't see the actual point in being abrasive with it, but there's no law against that.

I'm really liking anything I've heard by MGMT, but I have to listen to the album properly yet - there's no shortage of people I can borrow it from though.

Just as a matter of interest, how does one pronounce their name? Ive heard them referred to as the letters M - G - M - T, but I call them Management?

And yes I like the album, despite 2 or 3 poor tracks

I refer to them by the letters of the abbreviation. However, I could imagine the muzos out there would refer to them as 'the management' for no other reason than it was their name. Of course, they could simply be correct! So, in conclusion, I don't know :)

• Advertisement

It was the 'Learn to search' quote that got my goat, I just hate smart a$$es. Grand they might not be everyones flavour, peeps are entitled to their own opinions. Makes for a good discussion.

Peace out :)

Xavi6 wrote:
    No one was 'abusive/rude' to the OP, if they were then they would have been banned for personal abuse.

Last time I looked this was a discussion board, not a 'let's not hurt someones feelings by expressing a negative opinion' board.
    I would have said Lordgoats reply was ignorant and rude. He should learn to read the posts before posting a smart comment himself.

I've no problem with people discussing a band - positives and negatives - in fact I agreed that their album was half **** but there's no need for the attitude

My annoyance isn't just with this thread it's with nearly every other thread on this forum. Certain people have a "high and mighty" air about them and seem to take pleasure in putting down uncool bands. I don't think there's much need for it. Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery imo.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Actually lordgoat, I had another look through this thread and really, there was no need for that comment. Somebody had already advised the OP there was an existing MGMT thread, which you thanked, so you obviously saw it, therefore why the need to repeat it?

Really, there is absolutely no need to be so condescending. And anyway, that's backseat moderating - on your part and on the part of the first person who advised Flojo there was another MGMT thread.
    Report it if you're so concerned.
    I would have said Lordgoats reply was ignorant and rude. He should learn to read the posts before posting a smart comment himself.

I've no problem with people discussing a band - positives and negatives - in fact I agreed that their album was half **** but there's no need for the attitude

My annoyance isn't just with this thread it's with nearly every other thread on this forum. Certain people have a "high and mighty" air about them and seem to take pleasure in putting down uncool bands. I don't think there's much need for it. Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery imo.
    Yeah, by all means guys, express your negative opinion - you've every right to - but lose the sneering, condescending, dismissive attitude.

Unfortunately snobbery is pretty rife in music. I guess it's because so many people define themselves by it.

Well look what happens when you don't lookin a thread for a few days.

Due to the amount of unnecessary threads in this forum (quite a few have been moved recently - +) I thought reporting the post would be too far so i chose to use three words to get my point across if people found it rude so be it.

Just to clarify: Telling someone that there is a previous thread about a the same topic is backseat modding and not to be done? If so I wasn't aware it was a no-no and apologise for doing so.

And sprikles if how i word my opinions upsets you that much, please put me on ignore as i'd rather not have to read about it in threads or just pm me (i won't reply). I find it particularly classless slinging mud in public.

• Advertisement

Right. Leave it at that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I know this thread keeps popping back up! But has anybody heard the Justice remix of Electric Feel? It's a load of pants. I love both and this just makes panda sad.

Yeah, it's pretty atrocious. But that said I've never been huge into remixes to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just heard it there, christ that is ear rapage of the highest degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The tronik youth remix of time to pretend is excellent

Justice have a remix of Kids too, haven't heard it just passing along the info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What's wrong with the JUSTICE remix of Electric Feel? I think it's great.

Also, I don't think they've done a remix of Kids (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Cant gety enough of their album, brilliant. Hopefully their next album is just as good as their first but somehow it feels doubtful.

Im going to check out those Justice remixs

S.M.B. wrote: »

They have.

Kids are your friends

http://hypem.com/track/601594/MGMT+vs+Justice-Kids+Are+Your+Friends+(JAPATTACK!+Remix)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What's wrong with the JUSTICE remix of Electric Feel? I think it's great.

It's boring and unimaginative. The fact that it's Justice, and Electric Feel is such a great song, it's seriously disappointing. There's nothing anyway different about it sounds like all the other crap MGMT remixes on youtube at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement