Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance - Named Drivers

Options
  • 20-08-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I wonder if you could tell me what would happen if a husband and wife owned a car each.

The husband as a named driver on his wife's car is involved in an accident. A claim is made by the other driver.

Will this effect the no claim's bonus on the husbands car? Does the claim follow the driver?

Comments

The NCB will be effected on the wifes car but the husband would have to disclose the accident at the renewal of his own insurance. It wont effect his NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Darzinho

From what I hear, the claim follows the driver in a scenario like this; the named driver is considered as a third party...

It's hard to find information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Both policys could be affected. Look up something called dual indemnity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi OP

Dual indemnity could apply

If the Husband has a driving other vehicles extension and his wife's vehicle matches the bits and bobs of this extension then the Insurance company could activate their right to recover 50% of their outlay from the Husbands insurance as theoretically, he was insured twice when in the accident... "dual Indemnity" The recovery could only be made for any third party claims and not for the comprehensive claim made to repair the wife's damaged vehicle.

Advertisement