Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraq War as Election Issue

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Originally when the US election frenzy started I completely supported Obama's desire to remove from Iraq. However, the more I think, the more I begin to feel that the US has a firm humanitarian responsibility to stay there. They have caused a lot of unrest in the country and should clean it up to the democratic standards they seem to constantly talk about at home.

So now me thinks that John McCains idea of staying til its fixed might be more sensible. Dont get me wrong, Im 100% against the Iraq War (and most other wars), but when you get started you have to fix whatever damage you have done. And should Obama order all troops out in February, he will leave behind an Iraq a lot worse than before. At least I think so, maybe I am wrong.

What do you think is the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Get out now. If troubles begin to get too much. then a NATO led force can come in and help.

Yes, there will be American troops, but Europe and Russia will look more kindly on them if they go into Iraq the way they should have in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We all know they went about it the wrong way, but that's not a good reason to leave it in the wrong way too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

turgon wrote: »
    Originally when the US election frenzy started I completely supported Obama's desire to remove from Iraq. However, the more I think, the more I begin to feel that the US has a firm humanitarian responsibility to stay there. They have caused a lot of unrest in the country and should clean it up to the democratic standards they seem to constantly talk about at home.

That has been my attitude since the day I left Iraq. I came to know a fair few of the locals and did not believe it would be responsible for us to simply abandon them to their fate.

However, the Iraq jaunt is far less of an election issue now, for several reasons.

Firstly, the old saw about "It's the economy, Stupid." With people being hit in their pocket books by fuel prices and mortgage rates, they're going to focus a lot more on things which affect them personally. The only people who are affected personally by the troops being abroad are the troops and their families, who generally are not the people clamouring about bringing the troops home.

Secondly, the US electorate are basically fickle and without stamina. As soon as casualty rates went up, so did the outcry. Last month six Americans were killed in action in Iraq. 5 were killed in accidents in Iraq. It's become a bit of a non-issue. Similarly, the media is no longer giving it much coverage, unless there's a particularly dramatic mass bombing or some such.

Thirdly, neither of the major political parties are bringing it up beyond the minimum. The Democrats certainly don't want to bring it up, given that they were utterly wrong on the Surge. The Republicans aren't so hot on it since they got us into Iraq in the first place, even if they have figured out a better course of action afterwards.

So unless something weird happens in the next three months, I don't think Iraq's all that big a deal for the Candidates.

NTM

Advertisement