Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu crash

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hi.

i upgraded to duo core 3 ghz from duo 2.33s. pc crashes after about ten minutes. any tips ? got plenty of ram ( 4gb) and also have ok graphics card (8600 gt).

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What mobo? U sure the mobo supports the new chip? Which exact model chips? Other specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

hi.

i upgraded to duo core 3 ghz from duo 2.33s. pc crashes after about ten minutes. any tips ? got plenty of ram ( 4gb) and also have ok graphics card (8600 gt).

thanks.
    heat???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What mobo? U sure the mobo supports the new chip? Which exact model chips? Other specs?
    +1. You may need fo update the firmware on the motherboard to fully support the new chip. We can't be sure until you post more information. The cpu name, and motherboard name at least.

As has been mentioned, heat is also a good possibility. Check that the heat sink is sitting on the cpu properly, this is a common cause of such problems.

You say you replaced the chip, did you use thermal paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

+1 on post
    heat may be the problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

mb is asus p5ne sli.

am currently trying to update drivers from asus website (in ten minute intervals cos of multiple crash). also, pretty sure the fan is firmly in place.

also, when i go to download the latest bios from the asus website it saves it as a BIN file and saves it as a VLC media file.

also sayz this "Unrecognized format for 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\1101(2)\1101.BIN'

i used the old fan, and looked like the paste had seen better days, surely this would not make a big difference ?

Can you see the cpu temp in the bios? Or can you use core temp in windows to measure the cpu temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

also, when i go to download the latest bios from the asus website it saves it as a BIN file and saves it as a VLC media file.

also sayz this "Unrecognized format for 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\1101(2)\1101.BIN'

BIN is not exclusively a VLC media file. In this case it is a binary firmware application. You will need to download a 'flash tool' from the motherboard's site as well. This will store the BIN file to the motherboards CMOS chip, and *hopefully* solve your problem.

When the machine crashes, can it be restarted immediately? If so, does it always go for another 10 minutes, or more like 2-3 minutes? That should help determine if heat is the problem.

• Advertisement

admitted defeat and taking it to a repair shop !

cannot open asus exe for bin file upload and cannot open program via msdos version either. handing it over to the prefessionals !!

Advertisement