Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

very confused Grant "plc"

• 20-08-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey im very confused. I have applied for a vec grant both parents are on social and seperated and would not be able to pay for any sort of education for me.

I am moving to another county to do a plc course for a year and hopefully that will lead to college.

How much of a grant will i be ikey to expect, accmodation is expensive and i dont know how much money you get each week/month. Is ther any sort of rent allowance to apply for or anything that could make life a little bit easier money wise just incase i cant find any part time job etc.

Comments

If your parents are on social welfare and are earning under around €20,147 (in 2007) then you should be eligible for the top-up grant, and if you're going to a college 24km or more away from your house, you should be eligible for the non-adjacent rate, so in total that'd be €6,690 you'd be entitled to. There are other criteria (that the Council/VEC will explain) that you've to be OK for too, so it's not just income that's taken into account.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about rent allowance, so unless someone can help you here it might be worth contacting your local social welfare office to enquire further about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

ok so 6690 ...rounds of at 185 per week. Accommodation is round 300 per week for a 3 bed house from what ive looked at so far.

so 100 for each person ...out of 185 .. 85 left over and that doesn't include utility bills ..or food...:eek:

Ther has to be some other sort of financial help available ?

The grant is the main one, apart from that there are others in my signature but I'm unsure how eligible you'd be for them.

Advertisement