Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major financial problems....

• 20-08-2008 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Basically I totally messed up last year in college, and ended up failing 5 end of year exams which gave my the kick up the ass I needed to cop on. The only problem is that because my parents were so angry at this they are now refusing to pay my registration fee, as well as repeat fees, until I can prove i'm committed. I have no money saved at all, and now need to pay €2000 just to go back to college. The only solution is to apply for a loan but I don't know what I'll do if I don't get approved. I can't even apply for a grant because I would definitely not be approved. Another problem is that I did a 2 hour commute to college and back last year, which left me with little or no study time, and I really feel that I need to move closer, but yet again my parents dont believe it's necessary, so ideally I could do with money for that too. I don't know what to do, it seems like it's not even worth going back to college. There is absolutely no way that my parents will financially support me for all of this, I have tried explaining it to them but it's always the same. Is there any way a student would get a large loan like the one I need? Or is there another solution? Any advice would be really appreciated, I don't know what to do next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Buddy of mine has the same problem, but got lucky and found a part time job near campus in DkIT. He decided to find cheap accomodation, and then worked his way from there, by taking out a €1000 loan and going to class. found accomodation for 60 a week and budgeted his money.
    Pity he was no fun tho coz he couldn't ever go out. but a degree is much more important than goin out on a thursday.

Just to answer the thing about student loans - if you get one, you'll still need a guarantor for it (I think). Do you know someone who would be a guarantor on it? Assuming your parents won't sort you out.

Advertisement