Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a few questions!

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody

I've been reading the threads on here for the past while now as i think i've got my calling so to speak! Doing a job that i don't mind but the money is terrible and i would have to pass a lot of extremely tough exams to get good money.

I just have a few questions

1) Do you think there will be an aptitude test before the end of the year?

2) I wear contact lenses...would i need to get laser done before the medical and is this all at my own cost?

3) I did my cruciate ligament when i was 18 (i'm now 22) and it has never come right but at the same time it doesn't really affect my ability to run etc. Will this go against me in the medical?

4) My BMI is approx 27...i'm 5'10 or 5'11 and weigh 14 stone...i know i need to lose weight so this might be a good incentive if i need to.

5) Does having family members in the service improve your chances of getting in?

6) What is the average waiting time between doing your aptitude test and beginning in templemore?

Sorry for all the questions guys but i couldn't be arsed wading through all of the threads!!

Your answers will be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

Shurwhynot wrote: »

2) I wear contact lenses...would i need to get laser done before the medical and is this all at my own cost?

3) I did my cruciate ligament when i was 18 (i'm now 22) and it has never come right but at the same time it doesn't really affect my ability to run etc. Will this go against me in the medical?

6) What is the average waiting time between doing your aptitude test and beginning in templemore?

I'll answer what I can sure.
    I failed the medical a year ago in May there because of my eyesight. They gave me six months to go off and get it done. Paid for it myself but I think theres some health insurance that might cover it or at least part of it. Even at that though i'd check with the lads in the depot first, yer eyesight may not be bad enough to warrant laser surgery.
    I couldn't see yer cruciate ligament going against you. To be perfectly honest the medical isn't that comprehensive.
    Eh I applied August 2006 and went in November 2007 although if my eyes had been right I'd have gone in in May 2007. Times vary although these days people seem to be put through quicker. All depends how well ye do in yer apptitude test and yer background checks vary in time aswell esp if ye've close family relatives living overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

1) Yes probably. There is a recruitment cycle and new campaign opening every 3 months however you can only re-apply after 6 months if you fail any stage. This is under the new recruitment cycle which is designed to get more quicker and faster recruitment as opposed to the old system where it was every 12 months.

2) Best thing to do is bring the requirements to your optician and he will tell you immediately if you meet the required standard. If you fail the medical due to vision you can get laser within 6 months and produce a certificate to say your vision is a a better standard now. All at your own expenses though. Also If you get laser done before then you should probaly have the 6 week healing period over before the medical.

3) It probably wont go against you at the medical because they ddont really test your walking or running. But you will have to declare it on the questionairre epeially if you have had any kind of surgery or x-rays. I think they just quickly review it and decide then if it'll affect you or not.

4) Anything below 30 i grand, but if you are losing weight between now and then, then there's nothing to worry about.

5) Does not make one bit of difference. I have no members in at all and i seem to have got in fine. However you always hear about the sons and daughters of gaurds following in thier footsteps. In truth they dont even take it into consideration. very stage has a marking scheme. It may however make the background checks a bit easier or even quicker.

6) Very rough estimate, between 6- 12 months. Its all donwn to luck and timing. Background checks can take a while if there is any complications. Also you may be lucky that you pass the PCT and there is an intake the following week and you get to walk in straight away.

Advertisement