Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav for a Bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I got the 705 last week from Slane Cycles, the Performance Road Package for £263 + VAT. That worked out a LOT cheaper than any price I got this side of the border.

I'm on Macs so I use it with Ascent, and it works a treat, very amusing to watch my heart rate rocket on the climbs, especially the last slow climb home up the hill from Castlemaine, the route turns the same colour as me red face !!

Off to Sicily next year for a weeks cycling, and probably a week or two near Nice and its all there on the 705. I used to bring my Nuvi 660, and more recently use the iphone, but with crazy roaming data charges on the iPhone and stupid low battery life on the Nuvi, the 705 will be the Nav of choice ... at least until the next gadget ......;)

Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Lumen - the Edge is really a quite different beast to that Blackburn. The PC logging is key, you can look back over a course and work out how fast you did that hill, how fast you did the first part of the hill compared to the second part, compared to last week, etc. If you have a regular training route you can save it and race yourself; it will tell you how much further or behind you are in real time.

Altimeter is better as it auto-calibrates from the GPS. Display is substantially better and completely configurable, which for me is one of it's best points, you can choose exactly what data you want on the screen and where you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks blorg, you've aggravated my gadget lust again. Git. Maybe I'll sell my nuvi to offset the 705.

You know the 705 is compatible with SRM cranks? How do you cope with not knowing your exact power output? It must be hell.

Come on, you know you want to....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dear Santa,

Please can I have a Garmin Edge 705 for Christmas.
    Supercell promises to be good and willl go out riding everyday for at least 100km come rain, hail or snow.

Yours sincerely,

Supercell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The 705 will also work with the Quark ... if it ever comes to market !

http://www.quarq.us/

Murph

• Advertisement

Sod it, I've ordered a 705.

I was going to go easy and get the Blackburn Neuro 6.0 (with altimeter), but apparently spares (e.g. additional sensors) are next to impossible to get.

The 305 looked good, but I figured if I'm getting GPS I may as well see a pretty picture of where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Get city navigator for europe as well.
    The basemap on the 705 is crap for ireland. It is from 2004, not much good outside the cities.
    You can load into the internal memory of the 705 and still have 400mb of space left.
    You can also use the map on Garmin TC.

Freddy687 wrote: »
    Get city navigator for europe as well.
    The basemap on the 705 is crap for ireland. It is from 2004, not much good outside the cities.
    You can load into the internal memory of the 705 and still have 400mb of space left.
    You can also use the map on Garmin TC.

Should have said - I bought the "Road Performance Package" which has the detailed maps and sensors included. At least it bloody well ought to for that price.

The Irish maps on the Road Performance Package are excellent, they even have all the really crappy little 'grass in the middle' boreens around here ( Kerry ), same as my Garmin Nuvi 660.

BTW Lumen, where did you end up ordering the 705 from ?

Murph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Could the 705 double up as a useful car GPS too?

• Advertisement

Murph100 wrote: »
    where did you end up ordering the 705 from ?

Wiggle. There were cheaper places for the basic 705, but the Road Performance Package only seemed to be available through bike shops, and always at the same price (£323.99).

Advertisement