Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work placement in Boston

• 20-08-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

I'm going on a 5 month college work placement next April. I would love to do it in Boston. Any tips? Where is the best place to live (somewhere that has a good college life) or would you recommend Boston. Is it a lively city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

dont go if you arent 21, strictest place ive heard of in the states! cambridge is nice, harvard and MIT, but obvi gonna be less of a party atmosphere than the state colleges. Maybe living near Boston Uni or Boston College? Allston brighton areas, good pubs and food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Boston is a great city. There are a ton of students, (I once read over 60% of the population:eek:) so there's plenty of nightlife and always something on.

It used to be a massive J1 destination for Irish students, but in my experience the numbers have dwindled slightly since the rules for the student visa have been tightened up somewhat. There's is still a big Irish and Irish-descended population, and a lot of the doormen you meet in pubs are expats. If you are under 21 you can pretty much forget about living the high life. The number of students means that the law is enforced very strictly, and even a fake Irish ID won't cut it as a lot of the doormen know the score.

All in all it's a great city, as Brods said there are a number of areas that are good to live depending on the universities nearby. Look at Allston/Brighton, but bear in mind the city will be expensive. If the job are going to sort your accomodation then great, but you shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty as you're arriving towards the end of the academic year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

luckily i'll be turning 21 in January so i'll be ok for that!! would Boston be the ideal place to go or anyone got any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well New York is the sh*t when it comes to anything really! Especially party town! :D

Having said that, I was there for Paddys day and if you think we're bad over here, they're just as bad if not worse over there! :D Plenty of people passed out on the street drunk and I even ended up drinking with a cop, and English dude, and some other random dude, and starngely enough a girl from swords who just happened to stroll over and say hello! Was one random collection of motly crew but a brilliant night on the beer. One of the best paddys days ever! Only in New York, eh? :)

Advertisement