Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse fishing licence?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Why is there no coarse fishing licence in Ireland? I seem to remember that there was one proposed a few years ago, but it never saw the light of day due to objections from some areas and interests. Anyone know the reasons behind it not going ahead?

I, for one, would have no problem paying for a licence, epecially if the fees were used to promote and improve the facilities that the licence fees are being paid for...

Any one else have views on this subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

ya i think it wouldnt do any harm having a fishing lisence for coarse fishing, and since the proceeds would be going to improve fisheries then all the better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

agree to a coarse licence that was to benifit the stocking, maintenance, balliffing, protection etc of waters? how many people would be up for helping me get together a partition for this? the more people we could get to sign it, would be the more of a chance we would have to get better fishing through out ireland.

any one up for it pm me your email address cause i'm hoping within the next week or two to start drawing up a partition and present it to both the fisheries board and the the government

thanks danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xiang Xiang

Hi
    i am thinking of taking up fishing again, my young lad wants to do some too

its been so long that i am out of touch

can someone advise me, i am thinking of doing some off a harbour wall or beach casting

so, do i need a licence ?

where do i get it?

how much is it ?

does he need one too?

thanks

Xiang Xiang

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

hi

you dont require a lisence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xiang Xiang

Thanks

saves a lot of time and messing about

appreciated

Xiang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

No problems, there is no license required for the sea at all.

Only some parts of the shannon river/lakes require licenses and obviously private fisheries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There are some regulations worth knowing, they're at http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/Angling%20Regulations.htm

I think for sea fishing all you need to know are the laws regarding Bass fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

May I also point out that a licence is required to catch sea trout not only in inland waters but from the sea shore too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

thank god we dont live in Canada where you have to have a license to do any type of sea fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dannyhandy wrote: »
    agree to a coarse licence that was to benifit the stocking, maintenance, balliffing, protection etc of waters? how many people would be up for helping me get together a partition for this? the more people we could get to sign it, would be the more of a chance we would have to get better fishing through out ireland.

any one up for it pm me your email address cause i'm hoping within the next week or two to start drawing up a partition and present it to both the fisheries board and the the government

thanks danny

i would deffinatly pay for a licence if it would benefit everything you mentioned, however i think ireland's population is just too small for it to work, and be profitable. i.e. if every angler in ireland payed for a licence, the money raised probably wouldnt be enough to pay for a few balliffs or river maintainence. a licence is required to fish the suck in roscommon (my local river), but 1. there is no balliff to enforce it, 2. because of the licence, many anglers from the east of ireland dont fish it any more, they just fish the shannon.
    In the UK, there are a lot more anglers than in ireland (probably millions!), and in many cases, streches of river and lakes belong to angling clubs so they maintain the rivers and lakes.

Its a great idea, but i doubt it would work in ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement