Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groceries up north

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I felt compelled today to start a new thread. I was up north today working and my wife asked to purchase cow and gate comfort 2. This price in tesco was 14.99Euro. In Sainsbury it was 8.29 Stg. After I phoned her and bought 3 by formula, 3 By C&G creamy porridge,farleys rusks,rice cakes organic * 2. We saved almost 20 euro. I would dearly like to start a thread on groceries up north versus down south. Incidently The sainsbury carpark was full of IRE reg cars and instore there was a bureau de change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stuff is different prices in different supermarkets in Ireland, let alone when you start comparing with other countries and companies that dont trade here (sainsbury's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

PJMCKE wrote: »
    Hi,
    I felt compelled today to start a new thread. I was up north today working and my wife asked to purchase cow and gate comfort 2. This price in tesco was 14.99Euro. In Sainsbury it was 8.29 Stg. After I phoned her and bought 3 by formula, 3 By C&G creamy porridge,farleys rusks,rice cakes organic * 2. We saved almost 20 euro. I would dearly like to start a thread on groceries up north versus down south. Incidently The sainsbury carpark was full of IRE reg cars and instore there was a bureau de change.

If you live close to the border its great, but its the same everywhere.

If you live in Arnheim in Holland you can nip across the border to Duisberg or Dusseldorf in Germany and save quite a bit in Ikea, Media Markt, and grocery stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Regularly shop in Enniskillen not only for the price but also for the range of goods that cannot be bought locally. Have been doing this for the last few years, def worth the drive a couple of times a month esp since asda moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The sainsbury carpark was full of IRE reg cars and instore there was a bureau de change.

the locals refer to us as "Mexicans" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Stekelly wrote: »
    Stuff is different prices in different supermarkets in Ireland, let alone when you start comparing with other countries and companies that dont trade here (sainsbury's)

Couldnt have been said better if it was a spokesman for Irish retailers.

If anyone wants to see the Newry effect, visiting the Marshes in Dundalk after the Quays or Buttercrane is a bit of an eyeopener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

we have been shopping for most of our baby stuff in the shops north of the border - its now generally accepted that prices there (converted from sterling) are far cheaper than in RoI. there was an article in Sunday Business Post recently confirming this with a sample of price comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tbh wrote: »
    the locals refer to us as "Mexicans" :)

And that's why we refer to them as Canadians :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Your right and to be fair I priced the same items in Tesco in Lisburn and made even greater savings. A fair comparison of tesco north versus south today revealed a saving of 21 euro on an 87 euro purchase (baby stuff). Are you tring to say that conducting a retail business is 25 percent dearer on average in the south.
    Customers should where possible talk with their feet and if possible avail of cheaper goods. Our weekly household groceries bill is 250 euro with Tesco in the south. If I can reguraly save 25 percent this would add to the thousands annualy. I am lucky in the fact that my work takes me into the north reguraly.
    My point is that more awareness should be made of the ridiculous prices we pay for groceries in the south. If more comments included price differences it would be more benifical that a generic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Anyone feel that if Sainsburys was run with a ROI type attitude, you would have already seen a marked rise in their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you tring to say that conducting a retail business is 25 percent dearer on average in the south..

Well from a quick google, the minimum wage is pretty much bang on 25% more here.

I worked in a shop in The Square a few years back. I've seen the rents and rates charges. They are collossal. I seriously doubt the similar sized shops in Newry are paying anythign close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Well from a quick google, the minimum wage is pretty much bang on 25% more here.

I worked in a shop in The Square a few years back. I've seen the rents and rates charges. They are collossal. I seriously doubt the similar sized shops in Newry are paying anythign close.

Clearly you are championing the retailer . Anyway not my original reason for the thread and I would rather see points of information on price differences rather than offering explainations/justifications for larger profits in the south.

Advertisement