Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone know the name of that thing u put on your alloy wheel?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

does anyone know the name of that thing u put on your alloy wheel to stop feeling vibrations in your car when ur going about 80/90
    im after completely forgetting it, and im supposed to buy it now,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is it the spare wheel? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BlueDragon wrote: »
    does anyone know the name of that thing u put on your alloy wheel to stop feeling vibrations in your car when ur going about 80/90
    Tyre. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

im after completely forgetting it, and im supposed to buy it now,

Is it a shim, the plastic insert which fits inside wheel centre or sits on wheel hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Is it a shim, the plastic insert which fits inside wheel centre or sits on wheel hub.
    thats it!!
    whats the proper name for it

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

hub spacer

• Advertisement

the one im looking for is a little rubber thing any one know where i could get it?
    i tried typing little rubber thingy that goes on your alloys to stop vibrations in your into google but alas it was not to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

the one im looking for is a little rubber thing any one know where i could get it?
    i tried typing little rubber thingy that goes on your alloys to stop vibrations in your into google but alas it was not to be

These sell them.

http://www.antan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Yeah they sell all different sizes of these little roundy thingies that go on alloy wheels!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Perhaps the wheels need to be balanced. If you get a vibration in the steering wheel when you get to a certain speed say 80 - 100 KM Hr. Any place that sells tyres should be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dingding wrote: »
    Perhaps the wheels need to be balanced. If you get a vibration in the steering wheel when you get to a certain speed say 80 - 100 KM Hr. Any place that sells tyres should be able to do it.
    +1

Vibrations that introduce at certain speeds are almost always down to an imbalance. the absence of a hub spacer would be more of a general problem and would be more evident across a wide speed spectrum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

That would be a spigot!(Don't ask me how the f*ck I know that..) and yes, they are needed to stop vibrations:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

+1

Vibrations that introduce at certain speeds are almost always down to an imbalance. the absence of a hub spacer would be more of a general problem and would be more evident across a wide speed spectrum

+1

You would be having problems at all speeds if iy was a hub spacer that was needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

BrynW wrote: »
    +1

You would be having problems at all speeds if iy was a hub spacer that was needed

Actually if your missing say one spigot you may not notice any vibration until you hit a certain speed. Was missing one on my civic(the tyre place managed to lose it), anyway no vibrations until i'd hit 70mph Had the wheels balanced and my tracking done that day so that wasn't the problem. Sure enough popped in a new one and the vibration was gone:pac:

i was told to get one but i completly forgot what it was called i was told theyr like 3/4 euros in any shop that sells alloys and theyd probably put it on for free

Advertisement