Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy Eater - Recipe suggestions please!

• 20-08-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

My OH is a nightmare to cook for as he is a really fussy eater & there's loads he wont eat.
    Could you please recommend what I should cook for him? as I'm not the worlds most imaginative cook, the following is all he eats;

Meat:
    Chicken
    Mince meat
    Beef
    Steak
    Smoked fish
    Smoked bacon
    (wont eat pork)

Veg:
    Carrots
    Potatoes
    Brocolli
    Cabbage
    Beans (baked only)

Pasta/spagetti
    Salad (Caeser mainly ie, only lettuc!)

There might be a few small things that he eats but they don't come to mind at the moment, but basically he has a v limited appetite!

I've made him lasagne, steak with peppered sauce & bacon/cabbage all of which he asked for seconds, anything else is hit or miss!

I find myself resorting to convenience foods instead as sometimes its hard to know what to cook for him (I did say I was an unimaginative cook!)

any suggestions at all would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Caroline

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Cottage pie? It's basically Shepard's Pie with beef mince instead of lamb.

I like to do things like roasted chicken thighs with paprika, they take about 40 mins in a hot oven and I would sprinkle on the paprika about 10 mins from the end. You could serve them with homemade oven chips and cabbage or carrots.

My other half used to be really fussy about what veg he would eat but he's gotten much, much better lately and will try something at least once before rejecting it. He was surprised to discover he likes roasted red peppers (I started him on the sweet red peppers rather than the normal looking ones but he'll eat both now)

If he'll eat lasagna would he eat spaghetti bolognase? Why not have a browse through the "Here's what I had for dinner" thread, I've often found some good ideas in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

COTTAGE PIE

1lb of lean minced beef
    2 medium carrots, diced
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 pint of hot water
    2 red Oxo cubes
    A teaspoon of tomato puree
    A dessertspoon of flour - any kind
    A dash of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
    A pinch of mixed herbs
    Fry the onion and carrot in a little oil over a low heat until they start to soften. Turn up the heat and add the minced beef, fry until browned. Sprinkle on the flour and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Pour on the stock made with the Oxo cubes and hot water and stir well. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs then season with salt and black pepper (not too much salt!). Stir well and add a little more hot water if it looks too thick. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
    Place in an oven-proof dish and cover with potatoes mashed with real butter and milk until light and fluffy, and drag a fork across the top to rough it up. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, gas mark 5.
    For a change you can cover it with new potatoes sliced thickly and boiled until tender. Place them overlapping on top of the meat sauce and brush with oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Looking at that list he isn't too bad, my brother won't eat any sauce - he's never tasted ketchup, brown sauce, mayonnaise etc, won't eat rice or pasta and hasn't eaten vegetables since he was around 2! He loves meat and gravy and that's it really, so consider yourself lucky!

If he likes lasagne he should like spaghetti bolognese, shepherd's pie is a good suggestion too (even my brother eats that!).

Since he eats practically every meat except pork you could have chiken/steak/fish with potatoes and veg. Maybe try potoato dauphonoise or chips for a change? Stir fries are quick and easy, so just slice up some chicken or beef, carrots and brocolli and stir fry with a dash of soy sauce. Serve with rice or noodles (you didn't say whether or not he eats noodles, but they're practically the same as spaghetti).

Keep it simple and try to avoid using too much herbs or new flavours the frist time you serve him something, the strong flavours might put him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Thanks a mill for the suggestions, I don't know why I hadn't thought of shepperds/cottage pie I'll give that one a try over the weekend.

I'm not sure how he'd be with a stirfry, I might just wait til he's starving and serve it up, that's normally the only way to convince him to try something he wouldn't normally try.

Tried red peppers on him before chopped very finely into some mince meat and carrots but he copped it and wouldn't eat it. he went to bed hungry that night :D

I'm really glad to see I'm not the only person living with such a fussy eater, I'm slowly training him out of it :)

Advertisement