Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I repeat...?!?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey all,

I was hoping to do primary teaching this year but didn't obtain the required points. I got offered Arts but I'm reluctant to accept it. I think that if I repeat I may get enough points for it next year because in all honesty I didn't really do much this year. I really regret it now! :(

Should I accept Arts and try to get primary ed. the long way round or would I be better off repeating? Is there anyone here who has done primary t. via an Arts degree? I hear it's comparatively difficult and competitive and places are restricted.

I'm really confused!!!!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Take the offer they gave you..Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd suggest you repeat and get the course you wanted. You want to be a primary school teacher? The most straight forward way to do this (and easiest/cheapest/best) is to go straight in via CAO into the course. if you honestly beleive you can get the points requirement (presuming points stay the same which isn't nes. true).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My advice to you would be to repeat- if you're sure primary school teaching is what you really want to do and you think it's within your grasp.
    It's only one year, and you already have all the courses covered!

My friend's in UCC doing Arts to get into Primary Teaching, and unless he does really really well, particularly in irish, he was told he wouldn't have a chance. Seemingly a lot of people doing his subjects want the same thing.
    Saying that, there are places and you could get it... maybe you didn't work that hard this year, but if you take arts and are willing to work really hard at it then you could be one of the ones that gets it. Hope this helps and doesn't make you more confused..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

First of all you need to draw up a list of pros and cons.

What age are you? If you are young you may benefit in more ways than one from repeating and being more mature when going to college.

Secondly do you really think you would work harder this year? I know you said you didn't do much this time around but do you believe that you will change? In my experience people generally make all sorts of promises to themselves which they don't keep. I'd say the last thing you want is to repeat and still not get primary teaching.

Thirdly while it is definitely a more circuitous route I think doing Arts before deciding on a career is an excellent idea. Have you any experience of teaching or working with children? If not you might find that teaching's not for you and if that were the case by doing an Arts degree you could branch off into a number of different careers.

Also if you do Arts you will probably end up with a group of friends with differing tastes - not everyone doing Arts wants to teach.

Like you said even by doing Arts you may find it difficult to get into primary teaching but there are many options. I know a lot of people go to England to train.

Best of luck making your decision and I hope you make the right choice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I'd say avoid repeating if at all possible. The amount of people I know who thought they'd go back and do it all properly the second time amazes me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

DON'T DO ANYTHING YET

find out from someone who knows better but there is a way to do arts and then do a year and a half post grad in primary school teaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

ally_mull wrote: »
    Hey all,

I was hoping to do primary teaching this year but didn't obtain the required points. I got offered Arts but I'm reluctant to accept it. I think that if I repeat I may get enough points for it next year because in all honesty I didn't really do much this year. I really regret it now! :(

Should I accept Arts and try to get primary ed. the long way round or would I be better off repeating? Is there anyone here who has done primary t. via an Arts degree? I hear it's comparatively difficult and competitive and places are restricted.

I'm really confused!!!!
    Thanks!

You said that you didnt do much work this year...

I would say repeat it if you can honestly say that you will work harder if you do...

Plus it would be much cheaper rather than doing two seperate courses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

As your friend missus.. I'm saying don't repeat!!!!!!!!
    You don't wanna be stuck in school when the rest of us are off having so much fun:(

Also you could do anything with Arts..seriously.. but if you do Primary Teaching.. you're stuck doing that!!!

O.K... I'm not gonna tell you what to do tho.. your choice

cya tonight:P

xxxxx

If you think you will do work.. I'd say repeat.

I repeated cuz I didnt do anything the first time round. It was the best decision I've ever made. Besides the fact I got a course I actually wanted to do, I made a load of friends too. The year was hard work.. so don't expect it to be easy.. Just put your head down and it will fly by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stevegalway

seriously DONT repeat. Everyone i know who does primary teaching hates teh course and how intense it is (9-5 5 days a week in mary i i believe).. my sister just home from london where she did primary teaching post- grad which she loved..she did arts in college and enjoyed every second of it.. to round things off she just got a teacing position in wicklow... seriously just do arts.. eveerything will work itself out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Repeat only if you KNOW that you are going to put the proper work in and get teaching next time round... otherwise take the arts degree you are being offered and use the time spent in arts to build up a some maturity so when you do get to teaching you wont waste your time in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I wouldn't repeat. One teacher that I had constantly told us that no matter how we do in our LC, don't repeat. You have to continue to move forward in life and not get into the habbit of just going back. Also, you might feel a bit awkward sitting around people who got in on their first try. At least if you got in a different way other than repeating, it'd sound better too.

I completely agree with that teacher anyway. It'd be better if you just moved forward and not go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1 year repeating, to get something you want.

or....

3 years doing something you never really intended to do for the sake of not repeating.

One year, personally....much as school sucketh, I'd redo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Deffo repeat
    I repeated this year because I obv i didnt get wot i wanted first time round.
    To be honest its a good year, you have the foundations from your previous LC, so you know wots ahead of you etc.
    Honestly the year will fly if you repeat.
    I'm delighted I did, best year of school, ended up making aload of new friends and got my course.
    As one of the previous posters said 1yr of repeating compared to 3yrs of a course that you dont really want...
    I know its hard to go back to school when all your friends are heading off to college, but trust me, it'll be worth it.
    Besta luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Mark200 wrote: »
    I wouldn't repeat. One teacher that I had constantly told us that no matter how we do in our LC, don't repeat. You have to continue to move forward in life and not get into the habbit of just going back. Also, you might feel a bit awkward sitting around people who got in on their first try. At least if you got in a different way other than repeating, it'd sound better too.

I completely agree with that teacher anyway. It'd be better if you just moved forward and not go back.

no offence, but your teacher is an idiot.
    "At least if you got in a different way other than repeating, it'd sound better too." Who gives a sh*t what it "sounds" like. If thats the way you look at life *sigh*. You're post doesn't even make sense, and firstly you aren't really in a position to comment unless you've actually been in the situation where you needed to repeat yourself. "might feel a bit awkward sitting around people who got in on their first try". Why would one feel awkward? Are you implying that people who repeat are somewhat less of a person than those who get it first time round.

God... I'm annoyed now!!!

I trust that the majority of people here don't actually think like this poster does!
    How could someone say "Oh I better not repeat because my classmates in college might think I'm slow"...

I repeated this year, go for it. You certainly won't regreat it!! I got what I wanted and I'm sure you will too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

ally_mull wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm really confused!!!!
    Thanks!

As a girl who has just repeated the LC and Jumped up 120points i believe you should repeat. however, dont use the same receipe. If you dont like a subject, take on a new one if it means you have to provided you think you will like it. I took up Agricutural Science Home Economis and Pass Biology.
    i loved my subject but i have to admit i hardly took my nose out of the books and study was always on my mind. Arts is a good steeping stone but there are many other ppl in your position and places are scarce. Take the jump, believe in yourself, and get the job you want. its only 9 months, whats that to have the job you really want. i hop this helps and let me knoe how you get on.
    Ann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Jayeire wrote: »
    no offence, but you're teacher is an idiot.
    "At least if you got in a different way other than repeating, it'd sound better too." Who gives a sh*t what it "sounds" like. If thats the way you look at life *sigh*. You're post doesn't even make sense, and firstly you aren't really in a position to comment unless you've actually been in the situation where you needed to repeat yourself. "might feel a bit awkward sitting around people who got in on their first try". Why would one feel awkward? Are you implying that people who repeat are somewhat less of a person than those who get it first time round.

God... I'm annoyed now!!!

I trust that the majority of people here don't actually think like this poster does!
    How could someone say "Oh I better not repeat because my classmates in college might think I'm slow"...

I repeated this year, go for it. You certainly won't regreat it!! I got what I wanted and I'm sure you will too
    YOU RULE!!!!! I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING U SAID!!!! US REPEATS STICK TOGETHER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 LauraAnnCunn

:) god... look if you have the energy go ahead... but if you dread the thought don't ... you'll need to be go go go from the start and not regret it... I know loads of people who get the same score or lower.. points will go up again.. but if it's what you want..start he studying now...! :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Repeat!
    If you really want this and know you will work harder than this year you can get the points needed.

I don't understand why everyone is so against repeating. I repeated this year and it absolutely flew by. Such a good choice. Plus you know what you really need to work on to get the points you need. The arts route will be a waste of three years if you don't get in through that.

Definitely reapeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

my boyfriend repeated and got what he wanted this year. its only 9 months and itd be well worth it! remember everyting happens for a reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Not going to tell you one way or another but will give some info

I did the B.A. then went back a while later did B.Ed and felt great having arts subjects as they complimented the curriculum and gave me a background other B.Ed students did not have.

If you do arts you have the option of the Postgrad here but you still need an honours in Irish or I think a pass in 1st year college Irish to do postgrad but check this out. It is not sure how long more the postgrad will be availabe in this country could be another few years or they could just stop it.

But you could do the postgrad abroad gaining more experience that would compliment your teaching here.

If you do postgrad abroad you have to do an Irish exam within 5 years of qualifying called the SCG, not too bad as there is now a course outline.

So best of look with your decision if i can help with any questions pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

Thanks everyone so much for all your suggestions!
    I've decided to repeat, sure it's only another 10 more months and it's better to repeat than to regret it in a few years. I'm actually quite optimistic now!!!!!
    :)

Thanks again!
    xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

*cries* I shall miss your completely random topics of conversation:(

goood luck

:D

xxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Can't you do arts and then a year postgrad for primary teaching? At least if you do it that way in a few years if you decide that you don't wanna be a primary teacher you've the arts degree to back you up instead of just the teaching one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

Can't you do arts and then a year postgrad for primary teaching? At least if you do it that way in a few years if you decide that you don't wanna be a primary teacher you've the arts degree to back you up instead of just the teaching one!

Yea you can but it's very risky, there are limited places as hundreds apply every year. In St Patricks College I found out that they receive 1200 applicants every year to do the postgrad yet they can only accept 120!
    The only other option then is to do the online Hibernia course which costs thousands and I can't affored that! So it's much easier for me to just go straight through!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

Do not do arts, I dropped it like it was hot and now I have to pay three grand, even though I got out early in fees to 're-do' the first semester of first yr (different course obviously). I was in UCD..I would not recommend it.

If you do repeat I would get some serious career guidance advice, to make sure you really want to do primary school teaching. Talk to people doing the course & people who are primary school teaching so you know if it's really for you. I'm sure you know this but it is a requirement to get an honour in Gaeilge to be a primary school teacher.

Advertisement