Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Justice: Two taxis caught by traffic cops on quays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Sort of the same subject, but did anyone notice the taxi rank at the luas bu Connolly Station? Taxis backed up down the street and blocking a lane of traffic, in an already seriously congested area! A few weeks ago the cops were writing tickets for them, like the OP, I was delighted! the morning before the cops were warning them from the other side of the road. The rank was grand for a week, but not it's back to normal, about 2 or 3 taxis constantly out on the road blocking a lane of traffic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Quint wrote: »
    Sort of the same subject, but did anyone notice the taxi rank at the luas bu Connolly Station?
    People getting on or off trains need taxis. There needs to be better provision made there not enough space for the taxis. It's especially awkward for anyone heading for the Northside, the rank faces towards the South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Sort of the same subject, but did anyone notice the taxi rank at the luas bu Connolly Station? Taxis backed up down the street and blocking a lane of traffic, in an already seriously congested area! A few weeks ago the cops were writing tickets for them, like the OP, I was delighted! the morning before the cops were warning them from the other side of the road. The rank was grand for a week, but not it's back to normal, about 2 or 3 taxis constantly out on the road blocking a lane of traffic!

Why be surprised? The Gardai outside of Pearse St station with their personal private cars have been blocking Pearse St to College Green with their illegally parked, many triple parks cars. They think they have carte - blanche especially since the idiotic traffic congestion changes were brought in by the muppets in Dublin City council making this road an access only for Buses,Taxi's
    and of course access for cars to the various civil service and Trinity college entrances.

I expect a cyclist (not just the low life law breaking cyclists) to be killed along that stretch as buses have to frequently struggle to avoid the Gardai's ilegally parked private cars.

The taxi men are only learning from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I was on the bus home, up the Dublin quays heading westward just before Guinness brewery. You know there's 2 locations where the bus lane becomes left turn only lanes?
    Buses 98% of the time will do the right thing, and filter into the proper lane beforehand or at the designated junction box.

Plenty of times, absolute taxi w**kers will just plough straight through the left hand turn only lane and go straight. In effect they're taking an illegal turn because they were meant to turn left. I've nearly been hit twice by these a*sholes.

Anyways, 6pm tonight, the bus passes by a traffic biker cop who was lying in wait before Guinnesses. He had caught and pulled in two taxis.

It was a beautiful sight... I was delighted.

I hope this is a good week long initiative at least, knock a few penalty points of these dangerous and selfish drivers.

:rolleyes:
    markpb wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Volvoboy
    Next time a taxi driver looks at you the wrong way of comes too close to your car call :1890606090

And nothing will happen. Enforcing the ROTR is a function of the Gardai, not the Taxi Regulator.

But if you feel so strongly about taxi drivers behavior, report them to the TR, cos the time spent here moaning about here about this would be better dealt with the TR's office and would get better results.

As i've said before, if you have a problem with taxi drivers.
    And feel so strongly as to describe them with such expleatives as ''**** & Assholes'' dont bother using them.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Volvoboy wrote: »
    time spent here moaning about here about this would be better dealt with the TR's office and would get better results.

Not enough hours in the day to report all the bad taxi drivers.
    And I didn't moan, I was in fact having a celebratory gloat at them getting caught and I thought I'd share the happiness around. :D
    Volvoboy wrote: »
    As i've said before, if you have a problem with taxi drivers. And feel so strongly as to describe them with such expleatives as ''**** & Assholes'' dont bother using them.:)

Sometimes they're a necessary evil, like estate agents and second hand car dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was on the bus home, up the Dublin quays heading westward just before Guinness brewery. You know there's 2 locations where the bus lane becomes left turn only lanes?
    Buses 98% of the time will do the right thing, and filter into the proper lane beforehand or at the designated junction box.

Plenty of times, absolute taxi w**kers will just plough straight through the left hand turn only lane and go straight. In effect they're taking an illegal turn because they were meant to turn left. I've nearly been hit twice by these a*sholes.....

That whole stretch of the quays was laid out by an idiot.
    If you wanted to cause accidents, you couldn't lay it out any better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bastards.
    They're a law unto themselves.
    I've noticed lately that they can be split into two broad groups.
    1)The dublin chancer who's out to fleece as much money from you as he can by going on circuitous routes,stopping when there's no need and pretending he didnt hear you when you tell him to "turn here".
    2)The foriegn bloke who has his cab done out like a witchdoctor's brothel and hasnt got the foggiest idea where he is or where he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Degsy wrote: »

sweeping generalisations ftw :pac:

Degsy wrote: »

Yeah... "If you've a problem please report it to the impotent taxi regulator which is the taxi equivalent of that useless TrafficWatch".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

That taxi rank is actually a bus stop. You won't find a bus stop there any more because the taxi drivers blocked it every day until DB could not longer safely operate it. After a lot of pressure, the Gardai placed traffic cones on the double yellow lines as a reminder to taxi drivers not to stop there. What happened then? The taxi drivers parked between them pointing out into the road and blocking even more of the lane.

I understand the taxi drivers in Dublin are in dispute with DCC about the capacity at city centre taxi ranks but can any of the normally courteous taxi drivers who post here explain to me why it's acceptable to force DB out of their own bus stop?

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    That taxi rank is actually a bus stop. You won't find a bus stop there any more because the taxi drivers blocked it every day until DB could not longer safely operate it.

That's feckin criminal.
    The guards should've rounded them all up and confiscated their taxis for the day. Hit them the only place that hurts, their wallets.

If the guards would accept it as evidence, I'd spend a day off with a camcorder recording those muppets on the quays, blocking lanes and cutting people up with illegal turns.

And another thing, did those feckers get compensation out of the taxpayers money for their own business gamble of buying taxi plates before the deregulation ?
    Honestly, it makes me want to vomit up my spleen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Bastards.
    1)The dublin chancer who's out to fleece as much money from you as he can by going on circuitous routes,stopping when there's no need and pretending he didnt hear you when you tell him to "turn here".
    2)The foriegn bloke who has his cab done out like a witchdoctor's brothel and hasnt got the foggiest idea where he is or where he's going.

Say what ya see Degsy, seems fairly spot on. Seriously though, if you do have to report an incident the Carraige Office in Dublin Castle are the men to contact. I have reported two taxi drivers in the past, one for dangerous driving and the other for threatening behaviour. Both times I got a letter and a call from a Garda about the complaints. Bad as taxi's have been in the past, I fear it is only going to get worse for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 silverbullet60

Those lanes you talk about are CONTRAFLOW,approach with caution,
    but hold your ground,THey might be buying you that new car you've always wanted!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I love the way when your driving down a road with a taxi in front at 50 -60km and someone throws out there hand they jam on the brakes to stop within ten feet and throw the hazards on like its cool for them to block the road cause you know he threw the lights on. Driving through the city center id say this happens most days to me they just stop where ever the hell the want but................its cool they threw the hazards on and then its ok to block the road.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Heroditas wrote: »
    Well some of them should start acting like they're professional drivers because there are times when I seriously wonder what some of them are playing at!

yes, i had a taxi driver one night, who drove down the wrong side of a Y junction unto oncoming traffic, where there were clear markings on the road and those little light boxes with the arrow pointing to where he should have gone!!!
    gerardk55 wrote: »
    The latest thing I have seen that has irked me is the guys that pull into the half-space at the back of the taxi rank just below O Connell bridge, that leaves the rear third of their car blocking a half the lane!:mad:

I LOL there one morning the Guards turned up and made they move on. 5 mins latter more taxis pulled up. the guards must have been hiding around the corner cause they were back again, this went on all morning.

I am not tarring all taxi people with the same brush, i have had some great ones and some muppets that refuse to go the way you ask them to.

and there is no point in phoning the regulator because they dont care. i have phoned up with taxi numbers and names only to be told they have no record of the number and name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

irlmarc wrote: »
    I love the way when your driving down a road with a taxi in front at 50 -60km and someone throws out there hand they jam on the brakes to stop within ten feet and throw the hazards on like its cool for them to block the road cause you know he threw the lights on. Driving through the city center id say this happens most days to me they just stop where ever the hell the want but................its cool they threw the hazards on and then its ok to block the road.

Maybe you should consider the user as being at fault as well for hailing the taxi and not walking to a rank :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

markpb wrote: »
    That taxi rank is actually a bus stop. You won't find a bus stop there any more because the taxi drivers blocked it every day until DB could not longer safely operate it. After a lot of pressure, the Gardai placed traffic cones on the double yellow lines as a reminder to taxi drivers not to stop there. What happened then? The taxi drivers parked between them pointing out into the road and blocking even more of the lane.

I’ve never seen Dublin Bus operate there.
    But they used to run the Bus Eireann coaches to Navan from there.

Now the area had closed down to the work on the luas tracks so it might have changed.
    The work is finished for now so I’d be interested to see if they start bus services there again.

Halfway down this area is a pole showing the start of the rank and the drivers never past that. So maybe they aren’t blocking the bus area.

However, they are blocking half a lane at the back of the rank and on bad days they stop at the pedestrian crossing so people have to walk around them.
    I've been known to bang on their boot as I struggle past when the pedestrian crossing is blocked :o

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider the user as being at fault as well for hailing the taxi and not walking to a rank :)

If its not safe for the taxi drive to stop he shouldn't its as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Spook_ie wrote: »

That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just 2 of my recent experiences with some *cough* professional taxi drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hP9Q_Mcj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVpKdgqZNg
    Taxi drivers tend to do these things only when they are looking for a fare. When they have someone on board they are the most considerate drivers. Waiting two minutes for a "safe" gap to appear in the traffic. Slowing down for green lights in case they might turn red. Stopping to let a stream of pedestrians cross where there is no pedestrian crossing. All the time they are stopped the meter ticks up, up, up.

LOL have to agree 100 %

• Advertisement

Nice footage... I got an 8Gb multimedia player and a mobile phone holder to do something similar. Works but bright sunlight & darkness messes up the brightness levels. Never thought of posting it to youtube or the like.

Nice footage... I got an 8Gb multimedia player and a mobile phone holder to do something similar. Works but bright sunlight & darkness messes up the brightness levels. Never thought of posting it to youtube or the like.

Cheers ;)

My systems completely hidden. The sun (not much to worry about over here :D) can mess with it alright but its very good in the dark(switches to night vision... Black & White)

Cheers ;)

My systems completely hidden. The sun (not much to worry about over here :D) can mess with it alright but its very good in the dark(switches to night vision... Black & White)

What is the system your running it looks interesting!

I think it's the car reverse cam... he drives around in reverse and records it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hP9Q_Mcj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVpKdgqZNg

bit of a shame to see you doing that. We all try to get on the best we can and everyone makes mistakes.

actually I've just looked at the rest of your videos - listing people's reg plates when they break a red light and claiming people are cutting you off for the least little thing?

If I was allowed to call you some names on this I would. ****er comes to mind.

superjosh9 wrote: »
    bit of a shame to see you doing that. We all try to get on the best we can and everyone makes mistakes.

Mistakes are one thing... but routinely cutting into traffic to skip 2 or 3 cars, failing to merge in time, blocking the Quays and using left hand turn lanes to undertake traffic are not mistakes. It's complete ignorance and disregard for other road users.

Fair play Eringobragh, I might do the same thing myself.

Custom Built system just sourced a few bits:

Here the just of it

The cameras an outdoor one . Its a Sony CCD important to get a good one as theres alot of shiite minicams out there! I removed the casing from and IR array and its about the size of a large stamp and mounted it on the RVM stalk

http://cgi.ebay.ie/S51-CCTV-Outdoor-SONY-1-3-CCD-Security-Camera-36-IR_W0QQitemZ360086293001QQihZ023QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

47831193_o.jpg

The Recorder is a small DVR which i coupled in a 2GB SD Card it gets a couple of days driving before it loops over the first clips

f2d7_2.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Portable-DVR-Audio-Video-Recorder-MOTION-ACTIVATED_W0QQitemZ290258062783QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The DVR needs 5v so a maplins car adapter does the trick and I've hardwired and hidden the system so no ugly wires everywhere you'd have to show someone the camera o they wouldn't see it

Unfortunately I've had a few near misses in my time that weren't my fault :pac: which prompted me to stick this in as some of them could have went 50-50 i.e their word against mine :(
    superjosh9 wrote: »

Do you feature in any of the videos :P. lol. Ah well cameras everywhere these days it would be a crying shame not to share my experiences

fair enough - but why list the reg of the car breaking the lights?? there could be circumstances that you aren't aware of.

I don't feature but the stuff you've shown is all very mild and I see it myself 10 times every day. Like the roundabout stuff - if people don't know where they are going it's hard on them - they may not be as familiar with the junction as you are, so why be so hard on them? Despite that, I think I've blown my horn once in the last 2 years - though I've had plenty of apologetic gestures from people prob because I've been fairly patient and that's because like I said we all make mistakes.

the other thing is in half those videos what is about to happen seems totally obvious - and not just because you've said it's going to happen - like the Hiace - which you were clearly expecting. So... why?!?!

ps. Beeping the horn is for little girls.

Nice camera though.

• Advertisement

I have to say its a very clever system and a good idea. Nice the way you were able to hide all of the cables.

All you need now is one of these

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8289

in case someone nicks your car.

Advertisement