Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Thanks button' - seemed a good idea at the time?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

I know the introduction of the whole 'thanks button' thing seemed a good idea to me aswell but I have noted on a couple of occassions, not alot, that sometimes if a poster in a hidden sort of way insults or even openly attacks another poster instead of his/her post you get 'thank you's' sometimes underneath these posts. The logical conclusion being that its a sly and tbh nasty way of joining in in what can only be descibed as bullying without having to actually write anything. It may not seem like much but it is happening - posts discreetly insulting other posters getting thank you's. This way they dont have to write anything.

The vast majority of posters use it sensibly in the vast majority of forums. After hours and Thunderdrome are the exceptions but ive only noticed it once or twice admittedly and only in those two forums. However its something I can see catching on. I dont check many threads but im sure its happening far more then ive noticed. Seems kinda logical that it would.

On the whole the 'thank you' button is good IMO but maybe more awareness about that might be good on certain forums. It has it flaws.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, it's a sign of a really sad, pathetic person if they thank someone for posting snide comments or flat-out personal abuse, but that's their problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think the thanks system wins a whole lot more than it fails - it's a feel good thing.
    I see your point though, in any system, there will be assholes that abuse it.

Afaik, there's no thanks in TTD and never has been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

SteveC wrote: »

Afaik, there's no thanks in TTD and never has been.

Thought it was the Thunderdrome. Must be another forum im thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'm confused...so you've noticed one or two occurrences of abuse of the system, but for the most part it's good. So are you saying get rid of it?

I'm confused...so you've noticed one or two occurrences of abuse of the system, but for the most part it's good. So are you saying get rid of it?

No I like it but maybe on certain forums like AH. It was not on AH at the start IIRC.:confused:

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    No I like it but maybe on certain forums like AH. It was not on AH at the start IIRC.:confused:
    Correct, it was not because it was being abused and was disabled. But then a '10 thanks per day' limit was implemented and it was reinstated in AH.

It does get used in the manner you've described to a degree, I'd be guilty of it in a sense, if someone gets in a cheeky dig that makes me laugh I'll thank it the odd time, but not if it's literally personal abuse.

But for the most part, it's used for the better, and with the 10 per day limit it can't get out of hand really anyway.

I thought it would be really bad on AH but I was dead, dead wrong. The thanking of snide, nasty remarks seems to occur most regularly on this very forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But for the most part, it's used for the better, and with the 10 per day limit it can't get out of hand really anyway.
    Apart from when mantime discovered it....

I agree though, it seems to work well at and with rationing, you actully have to be selective about how you use it....

...which leads to another dilemma - should the 'remove thanks' feature be time limited, I've been tempted to use it on occasion when I'm out of thanks and see a post that deserves it more - never actually done it though as I'd feel like i was insulting the guy I thanked in the first place...

SteveC wrote: »
    Apart from when mantime discovered it....

I agree though, it seems to work well at and with rationing, you actully have to be selective about how you use it....

...which leads to another dilemma - should the 'remove thanks' feature be time limited, I've been tempted to use it on occasion when I'm out of thanks and see a post that deserves it more - never actually done it though as I'd feel like i was insulting the guy I thanked in the first place...
    Tbh I think you're worrying too much, it's just a handy feature, I don't think anyone's going to cry over it :)

I don't think anyone's going to cry over it :)
    heheh not me anyway...

I'm watching this space for a feedback thread on it though - it's bound to happen..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

darkman2.... *sighs*

Why am I not surprised to find myself having yet another issue with you?
    You know what I spent all my 'thanks' on tonight?

Supporting insults, or bullying as you put it.

How about you use your thanks as you see fit and everyone else will do likewise. There are no rules on how the thanks button is to be used, and no one is gonna start getting banned over thanking some one for insulting some one else, so zip it!

EDIT: *Awaits some thanks* :D

422nd wrote: »

:D

Not the brightest thing to admit in feedback id have thought.:pac:

I expected some thanks for being helpful, I don't know what else you're waiting to use your thanks on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

funny-pictures-captain-obvious-cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

"Thanks" has caused surprisingly few problems imo, considering that some prophets predicted the end of Boards as we know it when it was introduced.

Personally, I have come to like it, and I think it has slightly reduced the number of "+1" posts, even if that might not have been intended as its primary purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally, I have come to like it, and I think it has slightly reduced the number of "+1" posts, even if that might not have been intended as its primary purpose.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Xavi6 wrote: »
    +1

You only wish you had +1 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I know the introduction of the whole 'thanks button' thing seemed a good idea to me aswell but I have noted on a couple of occassions, not alot, that sometimes if a poster in a hidden sort of way insults or even openly attacks another poster instead of his/her post you get 'thank you's' sometimes underneath these posts. The logical conclusion being that its a sly and tbh nasty way of joining in in what can only be descibed as bullying without having to actually write anything. It may not seem like much but it is happening - posts discreetly insulting other posters getting thank you's. This way they dont have to write anything.

The vast majority of posters use it sensibly in the vast majority of forums. After hours and Thunderdrome are the exceptions but ive only noticed it once or twice admittedly and only in those two forums. However its something I can see catching on. I dont check many threads but im sure its happening far more then ive noticed. Seems kinda logical that it would.

On the whole the 'thank you' button is good IMO but maybe more awareness about that might be good on certain forums. It has it flaws.

Maybe your looking at 'thanks' given for funny things said during an argument.

One that comes to mind is the recent Dudess ~V~ Degsy death match, it was hilarious and I thanked both for their entertainment value.

But that was AH, and you'd be a very silly person to take anything posted there too serious.

Off AH I think it encourages people to be more helpful and courteous.

Overall I think its a good thing, it has its flaws but what doesn't?.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You only wish you had +1 :p
    Perhaps a +1 button is in order! I need one of these in the real world too:o

422nd wrote: »
    darkman2.... *sighs*

Why am I not surprised to find myself having yet another issue with you?
    You know what I spent all my 'thanks' on tonight?

How about you use your thanks as you see fit and everyone else will do likewise. There are no rules on how the thanks button is to be used, and no one is gonna start getting banned over thanking some one for insulting some one else, so zip it!

EDIT: *Awaits some thanks* :D
    Oh if the poster getting the digs well and truly asks for it, it's a different matter, but I've seen threads with very mean-spirited, undeserved, personal crap (often based on gripes between posters) where it occurs. It actually looks terrible seeing a thank you at the bottom of a nasty comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Perhaps a +1 button is in order! I need one of these in the real world too:o

Yeah they should replace "thanks" with "+1":cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I post mostly from work so if I see a post that breaks the monotony of being in this horrible, souless office for 5 seconds I'll thank it whether it's amusing, informative or a bit mean etc.

I kind of see it playing the same role as laughing during a conversation.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dinter wrote: »
    I post mostly from work so if I see a post that breaks the monotony of being in this horrible, souless office for 5 seconds I'll thank it whether it's amusing, informative or a bit mean etc.

I kind of see it playing the same role as laughing during a conversation.

Wheres my +1 button now!
    This is so true. Anything to take me from the drab of office work! I too use as a sign of appreciation to a humourous post, if a post amuses me, I thank that person for brightening my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Now that thanks are limited to 10 a day I don't see the problem with using them wherever you like. It speeds up the flow of a thread and with only 10 each it can hardly be abused.

Not having access to thanks just means people will thank in thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a sign of a really sad, pathetic person if they thank someone for posting snide comments or flat-out personal abuse, but that's their problem.

Bingo, if you want to call some a **** then have the nuts to do so i say.

Hiding behind the thanks button is basically acting like the little morons who would try and stay on the big bullies good side in primary school.

Although, i don't see too much of it going on to be honest.

OP ,

It really isn't that big a deal. Ok I've noticed it happen but really who cares. How about you use your thanks for the posts you want and everyone else can do the same.

Life sucks, get a ****ing helmet! Why are people so sensitive!? I blame the fecking Greeks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I blame the fecking Greeks :p

All about the tragedy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It seemed like a retarded idea to me when it first came in, and I said as much. However its been managed successfully by the powers that be, and my concerned have been shown to be unwarranted. I now find myself using thanks when I really agree with a post.

Boston wrote: »
    It seemed like a retarded idea to me when it first came in, and I said as much. However its been managed successfully by the powers that be, and my concerned have been shown to be unwarranted. I now find myself using thanks when I really agree with a post.
    2+2=4

• Advertisement

2+2=4

****ing liar! Ban ? :pac:

Advertisement