Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Thanks button' - seemed a good idea at the time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

****ing liar! Ban ? :pac:
    All your thanks are belong to me nao! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The benefit of the thanks underneath snide posts etc, is that you can quite clearly make out the shy, hiding in the shadows **** from the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know I've referenced this post a few times in relation to this very topic but I just love it :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56800615&postcount=75

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

darkman2 wrote: »
    t may not seem like much but it is happening - posts discreetly insulting other posters getting thank you's. This way they dont have to write anything.

and if thanks was removed they'd just post +1 or "i agree" or something similar. the thanks button just makes it very very slightly easier to support an insult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I was going to put in a snide comment about the utter stupidity of this thread and probably get banned. But instead I won't.

Might be worth it for the thanks though

P.S. Darkman2 do you have to complain about eerything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The benefit of the thanks underneath snide posts etc, is that you can quite clearly make out the shy, hiding in the shadows **** from the good guys.
    I agree with you Mr. Fajitas.
    ajeffares wrote: »
    I was going to put in a snide comment about the utter stupidity of this thread and probably get banned. But instead I won't.

Might be worth it for the thanks though

I see what you did there. You insulted the OP by saying you weren't going to post about the stupidity of this thread. Sly. Very sly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I thanked ajaffares but it seems now I have to post to justify this or I'll be acused of hiding behind the thanks button...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I love being excluded from thanks :D

Then you have to post to thank me!

nevf wrote: »
    I see what you did there. You insulted the OP by saying you weren't going to post about the stupidity of this thread. Sly. Very sly.

At least its original . . .:D
    I thanked ajaffares but it seems now I have to post to justify this or I'll be acused of hiding behind the thanks button...

me to

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, surely the hide in the shadows **** are the ones who make snide comments out of public view and not the ones who publicly show agreement with a snide post using the thanks system? If thanks was private I'd agree completely with you, it'd allow people to anonymously "+1" digs at people without having to stand by it publicly but the present system doesn't allow that kind of abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Spankeh wrote: »
    I love being excluded from thanks :D

Then you have to post to thank me!

Why anyone would thank you is beyond me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

You look more pathetic now because you are now standing in front of the thanks button, and therefore yo' fat ass is in the way.

/Grabs coat... mutters end of post and walks away..
    At least its original . . .:D
    Suppose. I'm not going to tell you about the stupidity of it though, because then I'd get banned. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Dragan wrote: »
    Why anyone would thank you is beyond me. :pac:

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I do it all the time, people who meet me wouldn't decribe me as a wanker.

Normally they'd wait until I'm out of hearing range, or do it from the safety of the internet.

Mairt wrote: »

Normally they'd wait until I'm out of hearing range, or do it from the safety of the internet.

hahah, gotta love the big fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Mairt wrote: »

Wanker wanker wanker.

Il be outside your Ma's at noon.

:pac:

I'l bring my Judo chop

Anyhow. I thnk the Thanks button is a decent idea and gets rid of the +1 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you know, i had a whole ramble about how the 'thanks' button is only a tool, and the problem which you refer to is really down to individuals.
    its like blaming a shovel for a whol being dug.

but then i thought to myself, some people just like to complain.
    dudess wrote:
    Oh if the poster getting the digs well and truly asks for it, it's a different matter, but I've seen threads with very mean-spirited, undeserved, personal crap (often based on gripes between posters) where it occurs. It actually looks terrible seeing a thank you at the bottom of a nasty comment.

so, what youre actually saying that saying a thanks at the bottom of a post which you feel is an insult (but may not be, lets face it, you have shown that you are quite capable of misreading a situation), then its a disgrace.

however, if you feel that the insult is ok, then its ok to thank it.

so the thanking of insults is actually down to your own personal subjective insult measurometer?

personal vendettas aside, does anyone really have a problem with abutton? i would have thought not.

personally, im delighted to be vindicated with the popularity of it in AH and the fact that it has reduced the amount of +1 posts.

it would appear I know what im doing after all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You have your moments WWM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lets face it, you have shown that you are quite capable of misreading a situation
    Cheers for that.
    however, if you feel that the insult is ok, then its ok to thank it.

so the thanking of insults is actually down to your own personal subjective insult measurometer?
    Meh, I think there is a difference between the thanking of some trolling abusive individual getting a dig thrown at them (e.g. this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363927) and the thanking of snide remarks directed at people who don't deserve them and which are based on personal gripes. It's not at all a case of "personal vendettas". But that's just my opinion. Let's agree to disagree?
    By the same token, I see what you're saying too about insults being insults no matter what the context - sometimes people who get an insult thrown at them here kinda ask for it tbh but that doesn't mean whoever personally abused them doesn't deserve to be reprimanded.
    personally, im delighted to be vindicated with the popularity of it in AH and the fact that it has reduced the amount of +1 posts.

Um... congrats? I don't think anyone was doubting it would be popular in AH btw...

But like you said, it IS only a button and while the OP's concern is something I have also noticed, it's not exactly worth losing sleep over either...

I like the thanks button and as I said earlier in this thread, if people are gonna use it to be snide, that's their problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

'Everything'? - Yes - yes I do. The world is broke and I gotta fix it:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Hello feedback, (I haven't read this whole thread so this may have been stated)

It's a bit creepy in here, all those staring eyes ready to pounce like hungry Lol cats. ... sorry sorry...I have a wee question for you ,
    Can you tell me why you have an option to ' thank' a post and you don't have an option to 'boo' a post. Booing is a lot more fun and indeed there are just as many posts that need a good ol BOO to put them in their place.
    I suppose thanking a poster who is booing another poster kind of gets the job done but I'd prefer to boo the bejaysus out of a poster myself.

Indeed if a poster was making snidey remarks and got a lot of thanks from his comrades and there were more friendly guys who thought he'd gone too far, then we could boo the snidey guy and perhaps he'd get as many boos from the nice guys as he would thanks from the lily livered rats......Lurkers with a limited tolerance for argument may sign up just to boo a perceived clique member..... bring forth a BOOing button I say....
    I thank (boo) you in advance..

*I bet there are many looking for the boo option right now for this post....
    I hiss in your general direction....(can we have a hiss button too?)

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I have a wee question for you ,
    Can you tell me why you have an option to ' thank' a post and you don't have an option to 'boo' a post. Booing is a lot more fun and indeed there are just as many posts that need a good ol BOO to put them in their place.
    ?)

Let me introduct you to the world of FAIL see exibit "a"

a.
    633317514784490542.jpg

But when ordinary FAIL just wont do.. there is epic fail, see exibit b

b
    epic-failure08.jpg

So to summerise, no need for boo hiss... when a simple FAIL gets the point across

I bet you got lots and lots of those pictures, tell me I'm wrong....:D

I was asking a semi seriuos question....

Fail me agian and I BOO you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BOO

1. Read the thread.

2. Press reply.gif

3. Type "B" "O" "O".

simple.

SteveC wrote: »
    BOO

1. Read the thread.

2. Press reply.gif

3. Type "B" "O" "O".

simple.

,.....repeat the above , replace BOO with thanks....SIMPLE...

Get the point? something OO...BOO. Class? anyone? anyone? Buller?

I'll leave it with ye...:rolleyes:

Essentially i dont see the point in a negative or a -1 for a thread post.

Its nice to be nice, and i think it works just fine in AH and is not being abused from what i can see.

snyper wrote: »
    Its nice to be nice, .

:D so a BIG FAIL picture is being nice....I admit it's funny but it kinda pi$$es over your point above...don't ya thank...:D

So no BOO button then.....ok, that makes me sad.

First off even if there was a stupid BOO button there is no way you would call it a boo button. It would simply be no-thanks or something along those lines.

Has anyone noticed how weird this thread is first of they were looking to get rid of the thanks button because it 'was being used to bully' And now its a boo button wanted instead!!! Surely it would be the BOO button used to bullly.:P

Now please only very very very important posts after this because I want to see this thread rot away. And anyone who bumps this thread is going to get a bump off me.:D

No more posts

Thanks . . .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Repentant

lol. Tards :)

I'd say but you loose!

• Advertisement
Advertisement