Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Descent 2008

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but couldnt find any other suitable.
    Will be competing in the descent for the first time this year and was wondering if anyone here was doing likewise and had any tips, tricks or general advice.
    Have competed in the Junior descent years ago and have done one 26k paddle this year and will be doing a few more days out in the run up for qualification. Fitness is good but will probably take it easy with some of the other guys from our club.
    Really wondering about kit and the like i.e wetsuit, refreshments to bring, cigarette breaks etc. ? ;)
    Will be in a battered old Gola and not 100% sure which class this fits either.
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Bing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Wont be competing but will sit at the weirs playing and slagging helping swimers!:D

A gola sprint goes in the GP class as far as I know. Bring water, its a long race and don't wear a wetsuit unless you want to boil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

What time does this start on the saturday? I believe it's starting in Straffan?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

yeah it normally starts in straffan..

bring water, dont wear a wetsuit is good advice.

if your not trying to win take it handy on the way down, enjoy the weirs, dont tire yourself out.
    im not doing it this year, but deffo for the anniversary next year.

edit: Scrutineering will take place between 10:00 am and 11:30 am in the Descent Car Park in Straffan. Competitors failing to present their craft and equipment for scrutineering will not be allowed into the Start Area.

make sure your there for that, and then just hang about till everyone else starts going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi, I am just going to spectate. Would anyone know what time it starts out for viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great day for the descent today guys. I hope you all had a good time!
    Theirs some photos up on my blog if your interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

I wore a wetsuit (0.5mm)- it was fine, much appreciated, when I took my one & only swim (at Straffan)63147.jpg Saw these guys too, shortly after, this snap, they were both sitting back on the boat, exercising their lungs - having a fag - real athletes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Was at the event yesterday..took about 100 photos- some quite good. I was at the small weir at the Spa hotel, where participants had the choice of taking an easy route or difficult route- I was at the difficult route and the expressions on the canoists faces are brilliant as they prepare themselves to dive into the whitewater
    If anyone knows where I can send the photos to where people who participated can get copies of them, then just let me know and I'll burn a disk and send them on.
    Would seriously consider taking it up after watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Cicero wrote: »
    Was at the event yesterday..took about 100 photos- some quite good. I was at the small weir at the Spa hotel, where participants had the choice of taking an easy route or difficult route- I was at the difficult route and the expressions on the canoists faces are brilliant as they prepare themselves to dive into the whitewater
    If anyone knows where I can send the photos to where people who participated can get copies of them, then just let me know and I'll burn a disk and send them on.

That's called The Sluice, it's a great playhole. I'm sure there were some of the rescue lads from UCD playing around in there before/after people were coming through? I'd love to see some of your pictures. Was thinking of heading there for some shots but it's pretty bad lighting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

Cicero wrote: »

Fair play to ye - Why don't ya upload the pics to Picasa or Flickr? Then whoever wants a copy can load it directly from there. I've been posting links to photos for our own club website and others, they're all much appreciated.

As for taking up the sport - Go for it! - tons of clubs, most with their own equipment, that you can use while you try out the sport, until you know what gear you want for yourself. All ages and abilities - it's great fun, exercise, meeting people and socials etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimeb

was the fellow in the back of a canadian hit the wall above sluice said sh-ugar-ite + other expletives and then got through sluice ok.. race number was 722 if you had any photos would appreciate it, if your interested in getting paddling e-mail me jimebyrne@yahoo.com subject line paddling and i'll sort you out. thanks in advance for any photos received
    jimmy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Some of my own images of the Liffey Descent.

http://www.photoimagery.net/liffeydescent08/liffey/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Thanks for all advice received. Had a great day and managed to stay dry throughout. Big thanks to all rescue personnel who did a great job. Anyone know how the man was who suffered a heart atack at the sluice. Thoughts are with him and his son.
    All in all was a cracking day and cant wait for next years.
    Bing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Jimeb/lank.bing3
    A lot of people shouted words that sounded like bright and duck at the sluice:D

I checked the fotos- don't see your number (722) but your teammates could be there - there are a few 700s and a lot more 200s and 600s series. In terms of loading onto pix/flickr, I just haven't cracked that yet-I opened a pix.ie last year but seemed to take forever to load up fotos- all my fotos are about 3mb in size so trying to figure out how to make them 100kb for uploading- have done it in the past but just can't figure it out right now.
    Let me know your club and I'll send them on to whoever you nominate i.e captain/secretary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ireland eyes

I'm back from Berlin after a year, I miss Teegardenpark where people can hire rowing boats.. In Dublin i've only come accross clubs. Kayaking-wind surf.. anywhere to hire paddle boat? off the drink so I wanna find other things I like to do! where ? please if anyone knows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well this thread is a bit old so you should start a new one, you'll get a better response if you do. :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Well this thread is a bit old so you should start a new one, you'll get a better response if you do. :)

and maybe post it in the kayaking & canoeing forum perhaps?:)

Advertisement