Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP address set up from portforwarding.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Whatever you entered as the IP Address

I'd suggest (re)reading the entire page again before proceeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Karoma wrote: »
    Whatever you entered as the IP Address

I'd suggest (re)reading the entire page again before proceeding.

Thats what I thought, must of went wrong I guess. Back to the start I go!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you aware that this will only give you a static ip on your internal network(any thing connected to the router)? Your external ip will still be dynamic.

If you want a static external address you have to ask your isp or a solution would be to use a service such as dyndns.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Are you aware that this will only give you a static ip on your internal network(any thing connected to the router)? Your external ip will still be dynamic.

If you want a static external address you have to ask your isp or a solution would be to use a service such as dyndns.

For port forwarding on things like torrents I thought this would do?

I know external IP changes everytime but I didnt think that mattered here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For port forwarding on things like torrents I thought this would do?

I know external IP changes everytime but I didnt think that mattered here.
    Yup. Thats grand so. I thought you you were getting mixed up thats all.

If you are finding static ip's a bit messy, you could assign the ip's through dhcp but based on mac address. That way, if you have a laptop that you use on multiple networks, you will have a static one on your home network for torrents but it will accept any ip given to it when out and about roaming around.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yup. Thats grand so. I thought you you were getting mixed up thats all.

If you are finding static ip's a bit messy, you could assign the ip's through dhcp but based on mac address. That way, if you have a laptop that you use on multiple networks, you will have a static one on your home network for torrents but it will accept any ip given to it when out and about roaming around.

How would I go about doing that?

How would I go about doing that?

It depends on your router, and if it supports it. What one do you have?

zyxel 660.

The userguide is here. I cant view it in work due to the stupid proxy. I might have a read later and see what the story is, if it supports it etc.

bumpity bump bump bump.

If now figured out that my router firewall is the problem. when I turn it off the ports are listed as open, but when it's on they are closed. I've read the manual etc but I cant seem to find a way to allow a port be open through the firewall without disabling it, which i dont really want to do.

anyone have any ideas on how it's done?

• Advertisement
Advertisement