Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding - does it bother you?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I was out in town with an American friend. We were having a coffee, there was a young mother with a toddler and a baby. She opened her shirt and fed her child. I didn t even notice. My friend was disgusted at this woman and whispered to me why couldn t she just go to the bathroom rather than expose herself in a cafe.

I thought my friend was being ridiculous and we got into quite a debate about it.

She thinks breast feeding is on a par with exposing yourself in public and is inappropriate and people shouldn t have to see it. She thinks breasts are a sexual thing and having a baby in front of them doesn t change anything.:rolleyes:

My point of view is breast feeding isn t dirty and if there isnt a mother and baby room, she can do it discreetly in public. It would be different if she was flashing her boobs around on purpose but she wasn t! I don t see why she should have to go to the bathroom to feed her child. I think breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world and healthy for the baby. Its what nature intended and it doesn t harm anyone except for narrow minded prudes!:D Thats just my opinion!

Am I being too liberal here? Does it make people feel uncomfortable? Would some men actually see this in a sexual manner?

Does breast feeding bother you? 171 votes

Yes, it bothers me
    0% 0 votes
    No, not at all
    11% 19 votes
    I don t mind as long as its discreet
    88% 152 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

doesnt bother me unless the child is a 65 year old :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

BITTY,BITTY,BITTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

hunnybunny wrote: »
    I was out in town with an American friend. We were having a coffee, there was a young mother with a toddler and a baby. She opened her shirt and fed her child. I didn t even notice. My friend was disgusted at this woman and whispered to me why couldn t she just go to the bathroom rather than expose herself in a cafe.

I thought my friend was being ridiculous and we got into quite a debate about it.

She thinks breast feeding is on a par with exposing yourself in public and is inappropriate and people shouldn t have to see it. She thinks breasts are a sexual thing and having a baby in front of them doesn t change anything.:rolleyes:

My point of view is breast feeding isn t dirty and if there isnt a mother and baby room, she can do it discreetly in public. It would be different if she was flashing her boobs around on purpose but she wasn t! I don t see why she should have to go to the bathroom to feed her child. I think breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world and healthy for the baby. Its what nature intended and it doesn t harm anyone except for narrow minded prudes!:D Thats just my opinion!

Am I being too liberal here? Does it make people feel uncomfortable? Would some men actually see this in a sexual manner?

Ok, well, its a natural thing and some women are discreet but I get annoyed when women's attitude is "FCUK YOU I AM WOMAN I CAN DO THIS **** YOU YEAH THATS A BREAST THIS IS NATURAL **** YOU"

That annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I was severely put off by a gypsy woman doing this on a bus while at least 8 men in her company were present :eek: Lots of kids there too, in her company.....

Time and a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Bros123 wrote: »
    BITTY,BITTY,BITTY.

NANA BITTY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wow so children should not be allowed to see the female breast being used for it's primary function to feed an infant ?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Wow so children should not be allowed to see the female breast being used for it's primary function to feed an infant ?

So should children be allowed see adult genitals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

well that's a bull**** argument.

Jay D wrote: »
    I was severely put off by a gypsy woman doing this on a bus while at least 8 men in her company were present :eek: Lots of kids there too, in her company.....

Time and a place

Breastfeeding is on demand feeding, the time is when the baby is hungry and cries, the place is where ever you happen to be and there are many ways to do so discreetly.

This subject has come up before.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167407

Mine? Yeah, its as weak as piss, I just think there's a time and a place and some people need to learn that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I saw a woman on the 16a bus in Dublin with 2 kids sucking away on each breast. I dont think its appropriate in places such as public transport and would prefer they just did it at home. They dont have to show the world.

So she should just let the baby cry all the way home on the bus hungry and have herslef in distress and discomfort ?

I don't see a reason why naked bits in public are inappropiate at all tbh.
    So long as you aren't doing anything lewd with them.

Well maybe there are more discreet ways of doing it?
    Some women just throw the breast out and give you dirty looks if you so much as glance at them! **** that!!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So she should just let the baby cry all the way home on the bus hungry and have herslef in distress and discomfort ?

No, she could of course try what most women have to do and ensure her baby(s) are fed before leaving the house and time her trip accordingly. No excuse. Dont care what they do in private but most people have no interest in seeing this in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Express and bottle it at home girls. Seeing a baby latched on puts me off the sexual side of breasts(of which i have great mammaries, sorry ,memories)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Also , I have heard many women get turned on by breastfeeding so it's inappropriate in very public places. Breastfeeding rooms for mums and babies and prepared bottles etc.

Ok, while I have said there's a time and a place I do think its beautiful and natural thing but discretion should be practised in public, seriously!!

Breast feeding may be natural but this is not the stone age and in reality it is no longer required. The vast majority of kids today and in the last century have grown healthy without it. Technology is suppose to liberate us from such embarrasing inconvieniences yet some women seem to be going back to something that should be outdated and not even considered anymore. Thats their choice but we should not have to witness it in public.

Without it? Man I think its still important in tat way too, kids need it!! There are like, breast-feeding tops out there that help women be discreet

I get dirty looks for adjusting my balls in public, and thats natural

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i wish I could ban people for moronic opinions.

i wish I could ban people for moronic opinions.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

There's no problem with this in public, as long as the mother has some class about it. IMO it's one of the most natural things in the world, and it's sad that it has become culturally unpopular to some people. The benefits of it are well documented, and people are starting to realise that more and more. In fact, in many European countries and US states women are protected by law to breastfeed anywhere they wish.

Most women you see breastfeeding usually have the infact discreetly sucking away and some sort of a light towel over the baby's head for privacy. There's nothing wrong with this at all, and if you don't like it or it makes you uncomfortable - then LOOK AWAY!!

OT, I once saw some knacker (not of the residentially challenged variety) and her boyfriend change the baby's dirty nappy on the table of a MacDonald's :eek: When someone looked over the skin-headed father jumped up and lost the head. This all happened within 10ft of the nappy-changing room.

JangoFett wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

nope, the more vague I am the last chance I will have to ban myself.

nope, the more vague I am the last chance I will have to ban myself.

Is that your way of passively aggressively telling me you're gonan insult me cuz I believe in discretion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

yeah, of course they should be allowed to do it, people who disagree should get over it, i mean RELAX please, if it bothers you, don't freaking look! I'd rather have someone breasfeeding on the bus I'm on than a fcukin annoying baby crying coz it's hungry!! it reminds me of something, i should make another thread.

Is that your way of passively aggressively telling me you're gonan insult me cuz I believe in discretion?

I think 'SexyDubGirl' (from Carlow!) - just called you a 'moron' effectively:eek: Unbecoming of a mod....tbh.

Merits an appology.;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think 'SexyDubGirl' (from Carlow!) - just called you a 'moron' effectively:eek: Unbecoming of a mod....tbh.

Merits an appology.;)

Ah I don't want an apology, its only an insult on boards like, my opinion vs hers. She seems to be, imo, acting passively aggressively towards me and I just want her to say what she wants and I don't want her to be banned for what she says

I was not neccesarily referring to you.

• Advertisement

I just want her to say what she wants

She wants a breastfeed.

Advertisement