Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Quality wrote: »
    Its funny, I find my male friends would be asking more questions about it than my female friends... I offer them a taste (obviously expressed) and they have a horrified look face on their faces.. Although drinking milk that comes from a cows tit is perfectly ok:rolleyes:

Yeah women always have a problem swallowing bodily fluids. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Dave! wrote: »
    Quality, I'd like a taste. I don't like using bottles though.....

:pac:

NO problem, I aim to please.. I will squirt some into your mouth... 6ft squirt coming up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dinter wrote: »
    End of the day it is polite to look at something else.

Like out the window. Or at a paper or book. Come on man, it isn't that difficult, unlike trying to breastfeed on public transport, which I imagine is quite difficult.

hunnybunny wrote: »
    I think breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world

I think taking a dump is the most natural thing in the world, but I wouldn't do it in the middle of a restaurant.
    Also , I have heard many women get turned on by breastfeeding so it's inappropriate in very public places. Breastfeeding rooms for mums and babies and prepared bottles etc.

Some women actually climax during breastfeeding. Feckin paedos.
    darkman2 wrote: »
    Breast feeding may be natural but this is not the stone age and in reality it is no longer required. The vast majority of kids today and in the last century have grown healthy without it. Technology is suppose to liberate us from such embarrasing inconvieniences yet some women seem to be going back to something that should be outdated and not even considered anymore. Thats their choice but we should not have to witness it in public.

Can't agree with any of that claptrap. It is needed. It is better for kids. Something that should be outdated? LOL! Methinks it's your attitude that is outdated.

Whipping the old chesticles out in public to feed a kid is grand, PROVIDED it's done discreetly. It shouldn't be done in places where other (adult) people are eating though (state of the knockers on some women). On a bus is grand. In a park is grand. Middle of McD's is not grand.

Alos, as has been pointed out, if you know you're going to be away from the privacy of your home, whats wrong with bottling it at home and feeding the bábóg from a bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think taking a dump is the most natural thing in the world, but I wouldn't do it in the middle of a restaurant.
    I was waiting for that one to be... erm... whipped out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Still she could have been a bit more discreet than opening her blouse pretty much down to her navel then lifting her kid onto her shoulder after feeding to wind it without closing her shirt, all the time staring daggers at the two dozen people trapped desperately trying to be polite and look elsewhere.

I don't really care much about breastfeeding either way. There's some people who are very immature about it on both sides.

But I have noticed that some women seem to deliberately do it in places that would be considered indiscreet and seem to be almost waiting for someone to complain.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Like out the window. Or at a paper or book. Come on man, it isn't that difficult, unlike trying to breastfeed on public transport, which I imagine is quite difficult.

I don't have a problem with women breastfeeding in public. It's necessary and tbh I wouldn't weigh my scruples against leaving a child hungry.

All I mean is there's discreet ways of doing it and that might make it more comfortable for everyone. I'd be more afraid of making the woman uncomfortable by seeing it rather than me being made uncomfortable by it but then again I'm obviously a bit of a prude like that.

Btw I spend the journey creating playlists on my ipod, something I was avoiding for ages. Win win.

Although drinking milk that comes from a cows tit is perfectly ok:rolleyes:
    Yeah, that's the point the mothers were making in a documentary a few years ago about women who still breastfeed well after their children are babies - 10 years old in some cases. That programme was just bloody weird. If the mothers wanted their kids to drink human milk, maybe expressing it would have been the better option? The kids had a bizarre obsession with breasts. The 10-year-old girl was saying she hoped she'd have huge boobs when she grew up so she could breastfeed herself (as in, not her babies, herself...)

Animals stop suckling after a certain point - I presume the continuation of breastfeeding long after infant stage is not how nature intended things?

NO problem, I aim to please.. I will squirt some into your mouth... 6ft squirt coming up!!
    Not much use Qual. I'll be frank about it: he wants to suck your diddies.

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the point the mothers were making in a documentary a few years ago about women who still breastfeed well after their children are babies - 10 years old in some cases.

That show was hilarious!! Some really messed up families!

• Advertisement

Oh tell me about it - so hippy-ish and right-on and bleeding heart they made me look like Margaret Thatcher!

Yeah, that's the point the mothers were making in a documentary a few years ago about women who still breastfeed well after their children are babies - 10 years old in some cases.
    That show was hilarious!! Some really messed up families!

Gotta be ****ting me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not much use Qual. I'll be frank about it: he wants to suck your diddies.
    :eek: Why I never!!!! :eek:

peez?

javaboy wrote: »
    But I have noticed that some women seem to deliberately do it in places that would be considered indiscreet and seem to be almost waiting for someone to complain.

Oh, come on. You've actually seen enough women breastfeed publicly that you've built up a psychological profile of some of them?
    All I mean is there's discreet ways of doing it and that might make it more comfortable for everyone.

It's such a non-problem though and it's not always possible to be discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

darkman2 wrote: »
    Breast feeding may be natural but this is not the stone age and in reality it is no longer required. The vast majority of kids today and in the last century have grown healthy without it. Technology is suppose to liberate us from such embarrasing inconvieniences yet some women seem to be going back to something that should be outdated and not even considered anymore. Thats their choice but we should not have to witness it in public.

embarrassing inconveniences?

*Breastfeeding is FREE
    *Breastfeeding passes on nutrients from the mother
    *prevents disease
    *Is ready to go, don't have to spend hours sterilising and making up bottles
    *Breast-fed babies have a greater immune health
    * a great way to bond with your baby

If you think it's so disgusting, why not try and look away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Is mid 30s too late to be Angelina Jolie's latest adopted "chiseller" ?

More seriously- nothing against it, I have noticed the 'whip it out and throw dagger looks around' thing though which I think is a bit much.

Oh, come on. You've actually seen enough women breastfeed publicly that you've built up a psychological profile of some of them?

No I'm not really big into psychological profiling. Silence of the Lambs and some piss poor American crime programmes like CSI and Criminal Minds have put it up on a pedestal imo.

What I have noticed (and you might notice I said "seem" before my two controversial comments) is that some women imo appear to hope that some conflict might arise and indeed even seek it. They might even have an indignant speech prepared for the occasion.

Don't get me wrong though. Most women I've seen breastfeeding in public are just getting on with it. It's a minority of the women I've seen breastfeeding in public that I'm talking about, but a sizeable minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the way some people have problems with kids seeing boobs when women breastfeed in public.

It's just another body part, and guess what? One day those girls you have 'protected' from seeing boobs will wake up with a pair of their own! And they wont have a freaking clue what they are.

I just find it really strange that body parts that all women have (and in the same way, body parts that all men have) are seen as somehow wrong.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I love the way some people have problems with kids seeing boobs when women breastfeed in public.

It's just another body part, and guess what? One day those girls you have 'protected' from seeing boobs will wake up with a pair of their own! And they wont have a freaking clue what they are.

I just find it really strange that body parts that all women have (and in the same way, body parts that all men have) are seen as somehow wrong.

It's social convention. The same as not having sexual intercourse with 15 year olds even though they are often physiologically speaking, sexually mature. Would you honestly have no issue with a man sitting across from your kids on a train with his genitals on full display?

Off topic. Does boards have a nudist forum? It probably should.

The "Introduce yourself/Know your nerds" picture thread would be especially interesting.

What I have noticed (and you might notice I said "seem" before my two controversial comments) is that some women imo appear to hope that some conflict might arise and indeed even seek it.

Well I think some people "seem" to overestimate they're ability to know what's going on in other people's heads.
    They might even have an indignant speech prepared for the occasion.

Probably written on her breast. It's all falling into place!
    It's a minority of the women I've seen breastfeeding in public that I'm talking about, but a sizeable minority.

Seriously, how many women have you seen breastfeeding publicly? An average per month figure would be nice, if you have it to hand.

• Advertisement

Oh tell me about it - so hippy-ish and right-on and bleeding heart they made me look like Margaret Thatcher!

Hehe!

The mother of the ten year old was best.

"If I have to come in to feed Billy in school than that's what I have to do. Billy deserves nothing but the best and breast milk is the best food for him."

Poor kid must get bullied something fierce.

Do you honestly think they send their kids to school...? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

So it's OK to have women's breasts on show on page 3 or on the cover of Nuts & Zoo for men's titilation but not for their primary function?

This attitude that we have to control women's bodies is pathetic. What a great society we have going here.

Well I think some people "seem" to overestimate they're ability to know what's going on in other people's heads.

So am I not allowed have an opinion of what I believe someone might be thinking? I'm not the only one who has noticed the "dagger eyes" thing going on. I think some women choose to do it where they might get a reaction.
    Seriously, how many women have you seen breastfeeding publicly? An average per month figure would be nice, if you have it to hand.

Probably 1 or 2 on average a month. It's seasonal though. There might be none for months and then a load will come along at once. Like a 39 bus.

I don't see really why the figure is important. I'm not lying about this. My own feeling about breast feeding is it's a natural thing and imo should be one of the natural bodily functions socially acceptable in public (unlike say sex, urination and defecation).

The people who treat it like some kind of freakish abomination that should be locked away and the people who expect it to be treated like a freakish abomination are not helping.

Do you honestly think they send their kids to school...? :)

Probably not.

"Everything that my child needs to know can be taught by looking at how the wind moves across a freshly cut hedge and how the sparrows take roost in the winter. Don't you know if you have a heart attack making a cross from hazel withers will dispell the evil spirits within, sorry what's that Billy? You're hungry? Go on then tuck in! Oh yeah, you like that don't you Billy? We're bonding."

Probably not.

"Everything that my child needs to know can be taught by looking at how the wind moves across a freshly cut hedge and how the sparrows take roost in the winter. Don't you know if you have a heart attack making a cross from hazel withers will dispell the evil spirits within, sorry what's that Billy? You're hungry? Go on then tuck in! Oh yeah, you like that don't you Billy? We're bonding."

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Everyone knows they absorb the knowledge of their parents via the milk.

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Everyone knows they absorb the knowledge of their parents via the milk.

Actually as the child in question is ten the parents can probably teach him everything he needs to know in between their Druidic Chants as they trudge round muddy fields in circles! :)

taconnol wrote: »
    So it's OK to have women's breasts on show on page 3 or on the cover of Nuts & Zoo for men's titilation but not for their primary function?

This attitude that we have to control women's bodies is pathetic. What a great society we have going here.

I appreciate that as a woman you would have an opinion on this subject but maybe you could express it more discreetly in future? Perhaps start a blog or use a Post It.
    So am I not allowed have an opinion of what I believe someone might be thinking? I'm not the only one who has noticed the "dagger eyes" thing going on. I think some women choose to do it where they might get a reaction.

Of course you are and I'm entitled to think it's far fetched, especially the part highlighted in bold. Dagger looks could as likely be a defensive gesture as a challenging one, in fact I would say that's far more likely.
    I don't see really why the figure is important. I'm not lying about this.

I wasn't actually looking for a figure. Obviously, I've led a sheltered life compared to some of you. At most I've seen four or five women breastfeed in public. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or caring enough to remember.

Think I've seen that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I appreciate that as a woman you would have an opinion on this subject but maybe you could express it more discreetly in future? Perhaps start a blog or use a Post It.

I wish people could be banned for being obnoxious. Oh and before you ask, yes I am referring to you. Get off your high horse.

And whether I'm female or not has nothing to do with it so if you could try and be a bit more discreet with the sexism in future, that would be just great.

• Advertisement

Of course you are and I'm entitled to think it's far fetched, especially the part highlighted in bold. Dagger looks could as likely be a defensive gesture as a challenging one, in fact I would say that's far more likely.

I didn't try to put your opinion down though while you did.

Re the part you bolded, I did already say it's a minority of those who breastfeed in public. I also noticed a similar thing shortly after the introduction of the smoking ban when people smoking herbal cigarettes would delight in putting down anyone who told them to put it out. They were hoping for the confrontation.
    I wasn't actually looking for a figure.

Oh sorry. I must have misunderstood this post of yours:

Please use [HYPOTHETICAL][/HYPOTHETICAL] tags in future.
    Obviously, I've led a sheltered life compared to some of you. At most I've seen four or five women breastfeed in public. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or caring enough to remember.

Or maybe you just didn't have a job that involved working around a restaurant area where a lot of women happened to breastfeed like I did.

Advertisement