Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Oh, I'm just overestimating my ability to interpret your posts. If they didn't switch to herbals then they haven't sought out the confrontation, it has merely come their way as a result of a legislative change and they probably shouldn't be smug about it but I can see why they would be.

Maybe they smoked herbals before. I don't know and neither do you.

But it wasn't merely the smoking of herbal cigarettes that made me think they were looking for a reaction. It was the places and manner in which they smoked and announced they were having a smoke. You weren't there man. You weren't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

JangoFett wrote: »
    So should children be allowed see adult genitals?

That has to be the most stupidest thing I have ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think taking a dump is the most natural thing in the world, but I wouldn't do it in the middle of a restaurant.

Never seen anyone breastfeeding on a bus, have seen someone taking a dump on the floor of a Nitelink though.

hunnybunny wrote: »
    Taking a dump is disposing of bodily waste, breast feeding is nourishing a child. Eh not on a par with each other when it comes to being appropriate. How is breast feeding a problem in a resteraunt? as long as you don t see too much. Would you rather a roaring child. I know I can t stand that, and would rather see a child happy and fed

I think he was just countering the argument that just because something is natural, it should be allowed in public. I don't think he was really equating defecation with breastfeeding.
    I am amazed nobody has hopped on you for saying this kind of ignorant rubbish! So this is how women have gotten their kicks since the beginning of time:rolleyes: Grow up!

Maybe they all recognised it for the joke that it was.
    That has to be the most stupidest thing I have ever heard!

Why so? Social convention tells us to cover our breasts, bum, vagina, penis and testicles (no I don't have all of them. yes you are hilarious for thinking that) so why is it such a stupid question?

If society puts them on a par by saying they shouldn't be shown, it's a fair point.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that the vast majority of the population are not as healthy because they were not breast fed:confused: Chances are you were not breast fed. Breast feeding is not needed today - there are so many feeding products for babies that they cannot find room on the shelves to put them all. Unless you can prove it is needed then there are no arguments to be had. I think you missed the point of my post actually.

Doctors encourage women to breast feed. Its what nature intended.

Have you ever made a bottle? They are time consuming and not as good for your baby as your own milk. Breast milk is always at the right temperature and ready for when the baby needs it. It protects against illnesses and is enriched with natural vitamins. Its a no brainer!

Everyone knows Breast is best, its not really the issue here. Its prudes with problems seeing children being nourished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

darkman2 wrote: »
    The other point I made earlier was - why dont these women make sure their babies are fed properly before leaving the house, make bottles and bring them with them and time their trip with their baby appropriately? Too much too ask? Not for most women who actually do that.

As a father with 4 children, who were all breastfed because it is the best way to start off any child's life, this has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on a forum.
    Next time we are going out with 3 month old Aisling, I'll try to convince her to gorge herself for an hour beforehand, and then get my wife to spend another half hour or so pumping milk into a bottle....

comedy gold, man...

Maybe they all recognised it for the joke that it was

Thats really not funny though. Its a bit of a sick joke. There was a comment before that as well.
    Also , I have heard many women get turned on by breastfeeding so it's inappropriate in very public places. Breastfeeding rooms for mums and babies and prepared bottles etc
    That is the height of stupidity!!!

Women get outraged by that accusation! Why do you think breast feeding has been around since the dawn of time? Bottle feeding is the newbie in this day and age.

I have to say when I posted this topic I really didn t think people would come out with stuff like this. :rolleyes: But its good to know they are out there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

javaboy wrote: »
    my illteracy?
    Heh :pac:

Darkman, life can be very, very busy for mothers of very young babies, so I wouldn't be surprised if this "come prepared" recommendation of yours were met with a swift violent reaction tbh. Sometimes babies get hungry unexpectedly in public, no provisions for it in the woman's bag. The baby is screaming, the people around the baby have to listen to this noise, the baby's mother has the option of breastfeeding and she's damn well gonna do it.

And some mothers want to give the baby the most nutritious food they can, which is breast milk. Nothing in the babyfood section of Tesco is gonna replace the natural nutrients offered by this substance. And while expressing is an option, this is still not 100% as beneficial as straight from the breast. Some of the nutrients can be lost, particularly if bottles of the expressed milk are put in cold storage. No need for any of that with straightforward breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thats really not funny though. There was a comment before that as well.
    Women get outraged by that accusation! Its a bit of a sick joke.

Some women. Most get jokes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It was the places and manner in which they smoked and announced they were having a smoke.

Extreme Herbal Smoking by Quentin Tarantino

Int. Café, Day

A customer climbs on top of a table. He lights a herbal cigarette.

Manager: javaboy, go look after that customer.
    javaboy: Sir, can I take your order?
    Customer: What is your problem boi? Can't you see I'm smoking?
    javaboy: Then comes my fit again.
    You weren't there man. You weren't there!

Use [NAM][/NAM] tags in future.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »

I don't remember spelling that incorrectly. Perhaps you'd like to check again? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Dudess wrote: »

Darkman, life can be very, very busy for mothers of very young babies, so I wouldn't be surprised of this this "come prepared" recommendation of yours were met with a swift violent reaction tbh. Sometimes babies get hungry unexpectedly in public, no provisions for it in the woman's bag. The baby is screaming, the people around the baby have to listen to this noise, the baby's mother has the option of breastfeeding and she's damn well gonna do it.

And some mothers want to give the baby the most nutritious food they can, which is breast milk. Nothing in the babyfood section of Tesco is gonna replace the natural nutrients offered by this substance. And while expressing is an option, this is still not 100% as beneficial as straight from the breast. Some of the nutrients can be lost, particularly if bottles of the expressed milk are put in cold storage. No need for any of that with straightforward breastfeeding.

Absolutely spot on post Dudess... Plus the fact that breast feeding mothers are encouraged to breastfeed on demand... therefore when baby is hungry baby gets fed... It took me several weeks to establish my breastfeeding. It was 4 months before we got into a proper stretch during feeding times..

Expressing milk is uncomfortable, time consuming and to be honest a pain in the arse...
    I enjoyed having the freedom of picking up a few nappies and walking out the door, No making bottles being afraid they would go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

I was out in town with an American friend. We were having a coffee, there was a young mother with a toddler and a baby. She opened her shirt and fed her child. I didn t even notice. My friend was disgusted at this woman and whispered to me why couldn t she just go to the bathroom rather than expose herself in a cafe.

I thought my friend was being ridiculous and we got into quite a debate about it.

She thinks breast feeding is on a par with exposing yourself in public and is inappropriate and people shouldn t have to see it. She thinks breasts are a sexual thing and having a baby in front of them doesn t change anything.:rolleyes:

My point of view is breast feeding isn t dirty and if there isnt a mother and baby room, she can do it discreetly in public. It would be different if she was flashing her boobs around on purpose but she wasn t! I don t see why she should have to go to the bathroom to feed her child. I think breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world and healthy for the baby. Its what nature intended and it doesn t harm anyone except for narrow minded prudes!:D Thats just my opinion!

Am I being too liberal here? Does it make people feel uncomfortable? Would some men actually see this in a sexual manner?

Typical yanks North and South..Anal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Many men (particularly tit fans) associate the breast with sex (ask freud). When they see a baby,who they inately think of as a non/anti sexual being they get a bit "confused" or "disturbed".
    Hairy legs and lips are "natural" for women but we have nearly all accepted it's hideous by current societal norms. Famine is a "natural" occurance but we seek to prevent it. "Natural" means feck all really. Is'nt it the case that the benefits of breastfeeding can be fully achieved in first few days/weeks when Colostrum is produced and long term breastfeeding has little additional benefit (apart from cost and maybe bonding) compared to a short period of breastfeeding.
    In closing, cover your tits , express milk or combine breast and powdered milk or go to a very discrete place.:p

Sorry, women should certainly not have to put men's fear of tits not looking like Scarlett Johansson's before giving their screaming child a feed in public.

Quality wrote: »
    Expressing milk is uncomfortable, time consuming and to be honest a pain in the arse...

:eek: You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

:eek: You're doing it wrong.

Nearly spat my lunch back up there!! LOL!

Women breast feeding doesn't bother me in the slightest. I will too when I've sprogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Taking a dump is disposing of bodily waste, breast feeding is nourishing a child. Eh not on a par with each other when it comes to being appropriate. How is breast feeding a problem in a resteraunt? as long as you don t see too much. Would you rather a roaring child. I know I can t stand that, and would rather see a child happy and fed

I am amazed nobody has hopped on you for saying this kind of ignorant rubbish! So this is how women have gotten their kicks since the beginning of time:rolleyes: Grow up!

I suppose its sick that a Cat nurses her kittens :rolleyes:

Well having a baby is a busy job. Having the time to squirt your milk into a bottle isn t always an option.

Firstly, children should not be in restaurants.

In addressing the main point, I feel that it is ok for women to breastfeed in public only if it is necessary, like don't go out of your way to make sure you are doing it in public, and if breastfeeding is going on then it would be good for the mother to exercise a bit of discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jigsaw wrote: »

I used to say that, until we had a kid. :o.

At the end of the day, you just want to have some sort of a life as well.

Babies often need to be fed on the spot. Surely a discreetly proffered breast is better than a screaming baby?

In addressing the main point, I feel that it is ok for women to breastfeed in public only if it is necessary, like don't go out of your way to make sure you are doing it in public, and if breastfeeding is going on then it would be good for the mother to exercise a bit of discretion.

Maybe restaurants could hand out big yellow macs to breat feeding mums', sign on back reading."Woman breastfeeding, please do not be offended, and avert your eyes if nessicary"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My kids are in restaurants every week. It teaches them good manners and etiquette... Also good social skills.

Quality wrote: »
    My kids are in restaurants every week. It teaches them good manners and etiquette... Also good social skills.

+1.

Parents who have raised children who cannot behave themselves* reasonably well in a social setting once they reach a certain age should not be allowed in restaurants... with or without their children.

*obviously this doesn't apply to kids with non-learned behavioural problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

getcover wrote: »
    As a father with 4 children, who were all breastfed because it is the best way to start off any child's life, this has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on a forum.
    Next time we are going out with 3 month old Aisling, I'll try to convince her to gorge herself for an hour beforehand, and then get my wife to spend another half hour or so pumping milk into a bottle....

comedy gold, man...

Getcover- as a breastfeeding mother you are now officially my hero:D

99% of the time when a woman bfs you don't see any skin whatsoever. You may be aware the person is feeding but is this what people are being offended by? If so, you must have all had very sheltered lives.
    The reason some women look confrontational is because people aren't quiet in their disapproval.
    BTW, BF women are protected by law here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

if it keeps the kid quiet, they can do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Stovelid, I'm sure it is different when you have a kid of your own but I have had so many meals spoiled by kids running around like the restaurant was a playground and hiding under my table etc. Opinions are informed by experiences. Anyway, back on topic.

Adsgirl, I'm not saying that women should not breastfeed in public. I can appreciate being a mother is difficult and if a baby needs fed, you got to get on with it. I am just saying that a bit of common sense should be used. If you're in a supermarket cafe having a cup of tea, then yeah sure tear away. But if you are somewhere else, like a more fine restaurant then a bit more discretion should be used. I know I have seen women with their tits out almost seeking attention for the fact they were breastfeeding. The fact that the had tits like a melon at the bottom of a rugby sock didn't help matters.

Quality, if your children are well mannered then that is fine and I commend your skills as a parent. But tell me you have never been in a restaurant with little brats rounding around causing mayhem while a gaggle of yummy mummies sit there there guzzling pinot grigio.

PS Can someone tell me how to do that thing where you can quote several people in one post? Ta

Stovelid, I'm sure it is different when you have a kid of your own but I have had so many meals spoiled by kids running around like the restaurant was a playground and hiding under my table etc. Opinions are informed by experiences. Anyway, back on topic.

Adsgirl, I'm not saying that women should not breastfeed in public. I can appreciate being a mother is difficult and if a baby needs fed, you got to get on with it. I am just saying that a bit of common sense should be used. If you're in a supermarket cafe having a cup of tea, then yeah sure tear away. But if you are somewhere else, like a more fine restaurant then a bit more discretion should be used. I know I have seen women with their tits out almost seeking attention for the fact they were breastfeeding. The fact that the had tits like a melon at the bottom of a rugby sock didn't help matters.

Quality, if your children are well mannered then that is fine and I commend your skills as a parent. But tell me you have never been in a restaurant with little brats rounding around causing mayhem while a gaggle of yummy mummies sit there there guzzling pinot grigio.

PS Can someone tell me how to do that thing where you can quote several people in one post? Ta

OMG you really think that the standard of the restaurant should determine if a Mother breast feeds in public......
    So okay round my loacl Tesco cafe, but not in say.... Roscoffs or another Fine eaterie"?
    And to be honest I don't buy your notion , that some women do it for exposure!!

Single-click the quote-marks symbol (bottom right-hand corner of the post) on every post you want to quote, then hit reply and they'll all come up as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stovelid, I'm sure it is different when you have a kid of your own but I have had so many meals spoiled by kids running around like the restaurant was a playground and hiding under my table etc. Opinions are informed by experiences.

Was more talking about babies with the BF theme in mind, dude. Obviously, I believe that parents have a duty to control toddlers in restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

adsgirl wrote: »
    OMG you really think that the standard of the restaurant should determine if a Mother breast feeds in public......
    So okay round my loacl Tesco cafe, but not in say.... Roscoffs or another Fine eaterie"?
    And to be honest I don't buy your notion , that some women do it for exposure!![/QUOTE] thats bolloxology, rampant feminist and lesbians have admitted to such in past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

To all the people who say it's unacceptable and they "don't know where to look" when a woman is breastfeeding in public, consider this.

Would you give the woman a second glance if she wasn't breastfeeding?

Rubbernecking tbh. . .

Advertisement