Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cant they just counter act the naked public boobage for feeding with some sort of generous nudity?
    I wouldnt mind some boobs in church. So if they can breast feed in restaurants, they should go to church topless sans babby. Everyone's happier and our babies are well fed with the only food in the whole wide world that we are certain is good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

juvenal wrote: »
    To all the people who say it's unacceptable and they "don't know where to look" when a woman is breastfeeding in public, consider this.

Would you give the woman a second glance if she wasn't breastfeeding?

Rubbernecking tbh. . .

Maybe people look twice because at the moment, it is still rarer than it should be. I think there's plenty of women and men who still have hangups about it.

And one reason some men don't know where to look is probably because if you do happen to accidentally lock eyes with the woman, you'll sometimes get a "fupp off perv" look in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

adsgirl wrote: »
    OMG you really think that the standard of the restaurant should determine if a Mother breast feeds in public......
    So okay round my loacl Tesco cafe, but not in say.... Roscoffs or another Fine eaterie"?
    And to be honest I don't buy your notion , that some women do it for exposure!![/QUOTE] thats bolloxology, rampant feminist and lesbians have admitted to such in past

Rampant Feminists:rolleyes:
    Only ever met one, and yes she does talk bollix;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

darkman2 wrote: »
    Breast feeding may be natural but this is not the stone age and in reality it is no longer required. The vast majority of kids today and in the last century have grown healthy without it. Technology is suppose to liberate us from such embarrasing inconvieniences yet some women seem to be going back to something that should be outdated and not even considered anymore. Thats their choice but we should not have to witness it in public.
    Talking through your arse are you there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding,there is plenty of reasons why you should breastfeed look it up and then compare it to formulae and why would you bottle it when the baby gets it out quicker and easier than any pump.I do know what im talking about i have breastfed my children and if you breastfeed on demand you dont time it the baby knows when its hungt=ry better than anyone.This sort of attitude really annoys me its not as if you know anything about it you are just spouting crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

JangoFett wrote: »
    Mine? Yeah, its as weak as piss, I just think there's a time and a place and some people need to learn that

Some newborn babies just have NO CLUE, youd think they know they're on a bus and should wait to be fed till they get home, jaysus, the youth of today:D
    Also , I have heard many women get turned on by breastfeeding so it's inappropriate in very public places. Breastfeeding rooms for mums and babies and prepared bottles etc.

Ya big ninny, when a women starts to breastfeed its like a scalpel going through your skin, find yourself a baby and give it a go, see how sexual you find it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Wow so children should not be allowed to see the female breast being used for it's primary function to feed an infant ?

I'd be of the opinion that kids being allowed to see the female breast.Full Stop. Probably isn't going to scar them for life. You'd think by now most people would have got over this whole naked is morally wrong/ sex is dirty bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

marti101 wrote: »
    Talking through your arse are you there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding,there is plenty of reasons why you should breastfeed look it up and then compare it to formulae and why would you bottle it when the baby gets it out quicker and easier than any pump.I do know what im talking about i have breastfed my children and if you breastfeed on demand you dont time it the baby knows when its hungt=ry better than anyone.This sort of attitude really annoys me its not as if you know anything about it you are just spouting crap.

id agree with ya there, that is some talking through your arse BS,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Redpunto wrote: »
    Some newborn babies just have NO CLUE, youd think they know they're on a bus and should wait to be fed till they get home, jaysus, the youth of today:D

Read some of my other posts, ok, sometimes the kids NEED their milk but some people need to be discreet about it instead of just throwing the breast out there! Put a blanket over the baby and breast, its not like I'm asking women to remain indoors all the time cuz they MIGHT have to feed the child, but a blanket over the baby and breast would be nice

The putting the blanket over you actually draws more attention to what you are doing.Cause everybody wonders what you are up to.Plus my 2 other children both boys come over and kiss him even when im breastfeeding him.They are 12 and 13 and if they dont mind me whipping them out for their brother why should it bother anybody else.Hopefully they wont have the same outdated view of feeding your baby and they might get their wives and gf to give it a go.I think me and Quality should hold a sit in for all the people who find it disgusting and make them look and see the joy and total look of love we get out of our babies knowing we fed them ourselves and are responsible for such a healthy baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think me and Quality should hold a sit in for all the people who find it disgusting and make them look and see the joy and total look of love we get out of our babies knowing we fed them ourselves and are responsible for such a healthy baby.

Can you hold on till December and I'll join ya.

It's all well and good saying "they should time it better or express the milk and bottle feed baby while out and about" but the fact of the matter is some babies will just refuse to take a bottle and only wants the breast. What do you do then? Do you leave baby to scream and cry and get tuts and sighs from other people, or do you feed your baby to quieten it down??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This sort of attitude really annoys me its not as if you know anything about it you are just spouting crap.

:pac: Did I hit a nerve? There are plenty of people who will just take a lower opinion of those who do it in public. It's deserved IMO. It might not be fair but thats life.
    I think me and Quality should hold a sit in for all the people who find it disgusting and make them look and see the joy and total look of love

What a load of crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

:pac: Did I hit a nerve? There are plenty of people who will just take a lower opinion of those who do it in public. It's deserved IMO. It might not be fair but thats life.
    Darkman there are all sort of people walking around everyday disapproving of X, Y, Z. I feel sorry for those people who are wasting their own time & energy. Everyone else is perfectly happy! People who take a lower opinion of public breastfeeding are people who need to take a look at themselves & not worry so much what other people are doing.
    What a load of crap.
    Hey! That's exactly what I think about all your posts in this thread! Snap!

Can you hold on till December and I'll join ya.

It's all well and good saying "they should time it better or express the milk and bottle feed baby while out and about" but the fact of the matter is some babies will just refuse to take a bottle and only wants the breast. What do you do then? Do you leave baby to scream and cry and get tuts and sighs from other people, or do you feed your baby to quieten it down??
    I will definately wait for you cause ill be a long time breastfeeding.Darkman i dont give a ****e what you think i will breastfeed anywhere anytime that my baby needs to be fed.If it bothers you that much stay in your house that way nothing will ever upset you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

the only problem i have is jealousy. little s**ts get to suck boob in public but if I was to do it me and my partner would be arrested for public indecency. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:pac: Did I hit a nerve?
    Yes you did obviously.
    There are plenty of people who will just take a lower opinion of those who do it in public. It's deserved IMO.
    My god. You know something: this **** is always spouted by people who aren't parents. And I'm not a parent so I'm not going off on a "if you had kids you'd understand" rant. But it very much is a case of "if you had kids you'd understand". What gives you the right to judge those women when you don't know anything about the day to day pressures of bringing up a baby.
    It might not be fair but thats life.
    Not if people do enough to dismantle the acceptance of such narrowminded, intolerant crap.

The ignorance of your posts astounds me... actually it doesn't.

Someone made the point that some babies will only drink from the breast and not the bottle - again, would you prefer for the baby to be screaming, for example, a bus down until his/her mum got home, or would you not agree it makes sense for the mum to breastfeed there and then? Dismissing those arguments as a "load of crap"... seriously, that's just laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What a load of crap.

He must be a bottle fed child.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

JangoFett wrote: »
    So should children be allowed see adult genitals?

In an appropriate context, yes. My family is a naturist family. I grew up with less sexual hang-ups than most other guys and girls I hang with.

Dudess wrote: »

The ignorance of your posts astounds me... actually it doesn't.

I have absolutely no problem with breast feeding whatsoever - I just dont want to have to see it in public places and we have all seen it in some very public places - and unnessacarily so. You must see that some of these women dont use the discretion they should - whether thats out of laziness or whatever I dont know. Of course it has to be allowed for there is this type of ignorance at all levels of society. But ive seen it on Grafton Street and in St Stephens Green right beside a playground packed with kids and parents trying to mind their own business. Hardly the most discreet of locations. Its only a matter of time I suspect before its a Mc D's or a restaurant. Where do you draw the line?

Society has unspoken rules to do with discretion, decency, respect etc - thats how society functions. It cannot function otherwise. Today it seems that this debate is just a sympthom of these rules being torn down to a 'do what you like when you like' attitude. One day the political correctness will have to stop - and it is going to take some very unpopular decisions. Otherwise we are heading down the road of anarchy or a tipping point at which the rules no longer exist for society to function like it does now. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

I dont want to ludicrously widen this debate that much (we are talking about breast feedding after all) but I sense this is yet another very small piece of a jigsaw in our society - the complete picture of which is going to have very serious consequences down the road. When is something just not in the realm of decent, proper and respectful behaviour in public and just wrong?

I dont want to ludicrously widen this debate that much (we are talking about breast feedding after all) but I sense this is yet another very small piece of a jigsaw in our society - the complete picture of which is going to have very serious consequences down the road. When is something just not in the realm of decent, proper and respectful behaviour in public and just wrong?

I think you have serious issues mate....

Do you have sex with the lights off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭georgem25

I dont have a problem with a baby being breast fed in public

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »

Do you have sex with the lights off?

No, do you?

No, do you?

Only on Thursdays!;)

But seriously, it is the most natural thing in the world.. I dont think women go out there to try and publicly humiliate people.. It is a role that they are fufilling being a mother.. Feeding there child.

Personally I find it offensive that you would call it improper. It is a very unselfish thing to do. I think we should be encouraging more women to breast feed....

Personally I find it offensive that you would call it improper. It is a very unselfish thing to do. I think we should be encouraging more women to breast feed....

Jeez - I did not call it 'improper' - and im not against it - just in certain public places. Why should the public have to be witness to this event? My point is those who say they need to breast feed in public - they dont. They can find somewhere not public unless they live in the bog - in which case no one would see them anyway. But in the center of Dublin? Come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So you'd rather they went into a filthy public toilet to breastfeed so your delicate sensibilities weren't offended by a mother feeding her child in the most natural way possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have absolutely no problem with breast feeding whatsoever
    Obviously not. Nobody said you did. You've a problem with breastfeeding in public simply because there's a certain amount of exposure of something that gives you your kicks sexually. Get over it - the breast's function first and foremost is to feed the woman's offspring.
    Its only a matter of time I suspect before its a Mc D's or a restaurant. Where do you draw the line?
    It's already happening in those places - don't see a problem tbh.
    One day the political correctness will have to stop - and it is going to take some very unpopular decisions.
    Aw Christ, could you not leave the comments about political correctness out of it? We're talking about feeding a hungry baby here...
    When is something just not in the realm of decent, proper and respectful behaviour in public and just wrong?
    Again, this is only about your perception of breasts as sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I have absolutely no problem with breast feeding whatsoever - I just dont want to have to see it in public places and we have all seen it in some very public places - and unnessacarily so. You must see that some of these women dont use the discretion they should - whether thats out of laziness or whatever I dont know. Of course it has to be allowed for there is this type of ignorance at all levels of society. But ive seen it on Grafton Street and in St Stephens Green right beside a playground packed with kids and parents trying to mind their own business. Hardly the most discreet of locations. Its only a matter of time I suspect before its a Mc D's or a restaurant. Where do you draw the line?

What exactly offends you so much about breastfeeding in public? IMO a mother is perfectly entitled to breastfeed wherever she sees fit. It's not like they're exposing themselves for fun, and the advantages of breastfeeding are well documented and backed up by scientific fact. It would be a shame if breastfeeding became socially unpopluar because of opinions like yours, as the benefits far outweigh people's sensibilities.
    Society has unspoken rules to do with discretion, decency, respect etc - thats how society functions. It cannot function otherwise. Today it seems that this debate is just a sympthom of these rules being torn down to a 'do what you like when you like' attitude. One day the political correctness will have to stop - and it is going to take some very unpopular decisions. Otherwise we are heading down the road of anarchy or a tipping point at which the rules no longer exist for society to function like it does now. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

I think you're overstating things if you think that breastfeeding in a public place is the next step on the road to anarchy and the breakdown of society!

If anything, it's political correctness and snobbery that has made breastfeeding unpopluar over the past few decades.
    Only on Thursdays!;)

But seriously, it is the most natural thing in the world.. I dont think women go out there to try and publicly humiliate people.. It is a role that they are fufilling being a mother.. Feeding there child.

I agree that more mothers need to be encouraged to breastfeed. An infant needs to be fed up to 12 times a day, and carrying around bottles etc for the day is just not practical all the time.

What better place than a restaurant which is suitable for adult dining for Junior to get his lunch? Disappearing off into a bathroom is not an option, both from a comfort and hygeine point of view. Would you eat your dinner in the WC?:rolleyes:

Mothers should not be censored from performing a natural and life-sustaining function due to the odd person not having the emotional or social maturity to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

As you know some cultures force women to cover up completely for fear of offending others. Thankfully we are a bit more enlightened in this part of the world.

Everyone I know was born with nipples and more men than ever seem to be well endowed in the breast department. What is it about a woman's breasts that offends more than say a portly male builder with his top off on a hot day? Could it be that the sight of a baby breastfeeding leads to impure thoughts? (if so then you are the problem ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I was in Tesco's purchasing some of their finest nachos, chocolate and strawberry flavored milk, and a Romanian woman was breast feeding in clear view of everyone in the Que! I still drank the milk though...:mad:

So you'd rather they went into a filthy public toilet to breastfeed so your delicate sensibilities?

In a word 'yes'. Its time for a law to be brought in distinctly for this. Laws already exist of course that can be interprated as suitable grounds on which to stop breast feeding in public full stop. It can be construed as illegal to do it in public atm. All it requires is enforcement. Whilst I would not say go that far I do think the gaurds should have powers to arrest or move on those who are breast feeding openly in blatantly inappropriate places or public transport or restaurants (how anyone could condone it in restaurants is beyond me - thats just not right and not particularly hygenic either for that matter!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Did you have a traumatic experience as a child darkman?Where you taken from the teat too early,kicking and screaming?Its ok,you can tell us.

Advertisement