Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght Library

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

For anyone who hasn't been to Tallaght Library in the South Dublin Co Co Buildings, it's a new library with great facilities, PC's etc. I have just spent every day except sunday for the past week there studying for an exam I have tomorrow. However, the library has been infiltrated by young parent who are effectively using the library as a creche. Kids are running around mad and parents make no effort to control them and neither do the management despite having a full time security guard and then in the late afternoon the local teenagers come in to log onto their bebo page and start shouting and slagging each other. I have made several requests to the librarians and some of the parents to keep the noise levels down, the librarians have no control over the library and the parents get hostile when you ask them to control their kids.

The reason Im posting this is because I think it's a shame that a very good public amenity like this is going to be over run by local gougers and the people who would benefit the most are going to lose out because they're not going to use the library because its full of knackers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Agreed with pretty much everything you said...

How can it possibly make sense, in an open un-segregated room, to have a kids' play area beside a study area?!

I stopped going there years ago because I got fed up with (a) the constantly ringing telephone, (b) the loud children, and (c) the construction. There were pneumatic drills being used when people were studying for exams :confused:

It's a joke of a library, which is a shame really because the facilities look pretty decent now (I went there again 2 months ago).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Politics; wasn't sure whether here or Dublin City was appropriate. Feel free to move on if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 donegaldiva

[I work in a public library (not in Dublin) (have visited Tallaght library recently).]

A public library is not a reference/ academic library- therefore study facilities are not a priority!
    The library has to cater for all members of the public. Agreed, parents should control their children and are asked repeatedly to do so by staff members (at least that is what happens in our library).
    Despite popular belief librarians have a big work load and do not have time to spend chasing parents/children who are not behaving.
    It would be better if there were a separate room for reference/studying - but obviously the architects didn't design such, so there is no point in blaming the staff in the library.
    Reality check: The days of bun-haired glasses-wearing librarians saying "Quiet please" have gone.
    Note: the childrens area is not beside the study area.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Note: the childrens area is not beside the study area.
    :p

Sound travels I'm afraid, so it might as well be! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I haven't been to Tallaght, so I'm speaking in generalities rather than specifics.

Libraries have often failed miserably to engage kids, teenagers and sometimes adults of working age. It is a huge success for Tallaght if they have managed to get local kids and teenagers using the library on a regular basis. The days of 'shush' librarians are fortunately long gone. It is unfortunate if this infringes on the study area - sounds like a case of bad design or bad usage of space.

It would be well worth while speaking to staff or emailing the relevant librarians to let them know your concern. There might be a solution that meets everyone's needs, perhaps by making some alternative space available for quiet study.

• Advertisement
Advertisement