Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolutionary advantage of X?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hammertime!
    Dave! wrote: »
    You've never seen me dancing have you Dades? :p
    ... and by the sound of it I'd never want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

What is the evolutionary advantage of nagging, henpecking, call it what you will? Any of you budding evolutionary psychologists care to hazard a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Men are lazy and irresponsible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

anti-venom wrote: »
    What is the evolutionary advantage of nagging, henpecking, call it what you will?
    There's a suspicion amongst certain sociobiologists that women control men most easily through guilt-management, while men control women most easily through being bigger. Mind vs. body, really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What is the evolutionary advantage to dancing and/or moving ones limbs and body parts in sync with a musical beat?
    Susan Blackmore suggested that the ability to play music (and dance) indicates the presence of reliable meme-copying hardware, which she believes was something that was heavily selected for during our evolutionary past. There certainly is a selection advantage to being able to copy tools, the use of fire and cooking, hunting techniques and so on -- and the ability to play music could be a simple marker for this. Certainly, the fact that millions of teenage girls get the hots for boy bands, and that vast amounts of time and energy is spent in nightclubs, suggests that there's some direct selection advantage, quite apart from the rather obvious sexual come-ons evident in music's rythmic thumping and the undulating hips of dancers.

Alternatively, others have suggested that music and language were originally indistinguishable -- thumps, bangs, claps and shouts -- and the two eventually split apart, evolving culturally rather than genetically down their separate ways.

Or it could be a mixture of the two, or something else completely.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine one's ability to move in time to music is strongly related to other, older senses. Matching your throw of a spear to the sprint of a dear, timing a jump to a swaying branch, hitting and dodging in a scuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd imagine one's ability to move in time to music is strongly related to other, older senses. Matching your throw of a spear to the sprint of a dear, timing a jump to a swaying branch, hitting and dodging in a scuffle.

but why? Is it a mixture of old traits such as attracting a mate, showing good memetic skills, timing needed when hunting?

I'm not questioning the origins of music, more how are bodies instinctively react to it. I've noticed myself tapping my foot to music without my knowledge of it, I don't consciously choose to start tapping my foot it will just start if I hear music that has an agreeable beat. I'm wondering where this reaction comes from and how it might of started?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Zillah wrote: »

What is the evolutionary advantage of doing "the robot"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

When the robots take over and start using us as power cells you can pass yourself off as one of them.

It's called prevolution!

Dades wrote: »
    When the robots take over and start using us as power cells you can pass yourself off as one of them.

It's called prevolution!

I can't imagine a worse power source than me. Maybe a turnip or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Higher chance of attracting a sex machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There is none. it's an evolutionary dead end. No one ever got laid doing the robot.
    Remember, most mutations are not beneficial.

Higher chance of attracting a sex machine?

:pac:
    Galvasean wrote: »
    There is none. it's an evolutionary dead end. No one ever got laid doing the robot.
    Remember, most mutations are not beneficial.

:(

but why? Is it a mixture of old traits such as attracting a mate, showing good memetic skills, timing needed when hunting?

I'm not questioning the origins of music, more how are bodies instinctively react to it. I've noticed myself tapping my foot to music without my knowledge of it, I don't consciously choose to start tapping my foot it will just start if I hear music that has an agreeable beat. I'm wondering where this reaction comes from and how it might of started?

I think having an irresistable urge to dance is far more conducive to camp fire antics than not.

Advertisement