Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practicals without attending a school

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

First off, many congrats to everyone now free of the stressful land of the Leaving Cert. Enjoy college or working or slacking off or whatever it is you want to do.

Now, back to me. I'm repeating the leaving cert from home (while in college) and have everything well planned out except the practicals. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Geography. The first three have mandatory experiments, and apparently it might be checked that I actually did them. Also, biology and geography both have fieldwork assignments.

Labs and practicals are usually done during class time or on day trips, which I wont be getting. So, since I don't seem to be able to find this kind of info on the internets, I'm asking the knowledgeable people here for help. Does anybody know of a kind of course that exists for people in my situtation, meaning those who are too stubborn or busy to go to a proper 6th year class? What I'm looking for is something in the evening (after around six) that specifically does all the labs and practicals required for the LC, and if I'm being picky, with skilled teachers, and located near the city centre.

This topic was covered to a certain extent here.
    But didn't quite get to a direct answer so I thought I'd bring up the topic specifically in a new thread. If that was unnecessary, delete away :p.

Any links or nudges in the right direction would be super terrific.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Now, back to me. I'm repeating the leaving cert from home (while in college) and have everything well planned out except the practicals. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Geography. The first three have mandatory experiments, and apparently it might be checked that I actually did them.

As far as I know, if you have already done the science subjects previously, the mandatory experiments completed from these first time round will suffice.

As regards Geography, you'll need to get a hold of a teacher willing to help you complete the fieldword isofar that he/she will sign the completed project satisfying the department that you actually did the investigation. You could probably come to some informal agreement with a teacher in a grinds arrangement.

I'm not aware of any specific courses helpful to your particular situation (if you intend doing the full LC courses for the above subjects in eveningtimes) but I'd reccommend contacting the Dept of Education for details rather than looking for advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

When I did it, many months ago, Maynooth held a one-day "do all the physics practicals" thing, with their labs and equipment. I think they do it for the other science subjects, so you could look into it. You'd have to take a day off, but you get them pretty much done (okay we didn't do all of them, you can afford to skip the ridiculously simple ones).
    Also, it's possible other colleges do similar things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That actually sounds really fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

As far as I know, if you have already done the science subjects previously, the mandatory experiments completed from these first time round will suffice.

I've only done Physics before, I'm new to the other three. But aye I am hoping I'll at least get away with not doing physics experiments again.

And re purplefistmixer; I'm not sure if that counts officially though? I went to it for physics in 6th year and it worked out pretty well but I don't think you're able to use that to vouch for having done the practicals.

• Advertisement

God only knows. I thought all they cared about was that you had a lab book written up. Think it has to be signed by a teacher, though. I'd say contact the department and try to find out the deal for external candidates. (Though, god knows, you might get into the homeschooling mess.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

HoboJesus wrote: »

Now, back to me. I'm repeating the leaving cert from home (while in college) and have everything well planned out except the practicals. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Geography. The first three have mandatory experiments, and apparently it might be checked that I actually did them. Also, biology and geography both have fieldwork assignments.

Labs and practicals are usually done during class time or on day trips, which I wont be getting. So, since I don't seem to be able to find this kind of info on the internets, I'm asking the knowledgeable people here for help. Does anybody know of a kind of course that exists for people in my situtation, meaning those who are too stubborn or busy to go to a proper 6th year class? What I'm looking for is something in the evening (after around six) that specifically does all the labs and practicals required for the LC, and if I'm being picky, with skilled teachers, and located near the city centre.

Too stubborn???? Why would anyone be too stubborn to do a practical? No offence but if you want to repeat the LC enough you might need to get over the 'i'm not going back into a 6th year class' attitude.

if you're doing practical work for a subject for the LC you are supposed to have a teacher supervising your work who will sign off on it basically to say that you did attend the practical and did do the work. Those practicals in Maynooth and wherever else they run them are not enough in my opinion. beacuse a teacher is not only saying you did the practicals but you followed a course of study for two years. You would really need to have a teacher teaching the relevant subject in a school signing off for you. I teach and assess Ag Science practicals and I have taught a number of external candidates for practicals and I made sure they had all the practical work done. I didn't see why my classes should have to do it and then let an external candidate just have their work signed off with no evidence

having said all that I think the one you really have a problem with is geography. The practial component of that is assessed, the others aren't.

As much as I despise them, your best bet would probably be to contact one of the grind schools, I'm sure some of them have that kind of set up for practicals.

Too stubborn???? Why would anyone be too stubborn to do a practical? No offence but if you want to repeat the LC enough you might need to get over the 'i'm not going back into a 6th year class' attitude.
    In this case I'd say it's not a question of attitude, merely a case of "physically can't go to two schools/colleges at once".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Those practicals in Maynooth and wherever else they run them are not enough in my opinion. beacuse a teacher is not only saying you did the practicals but you followed a course of study for two years. You would really need to have a teacher teaching the relevant subject in a school signing off for you. I teach and assess Ag Science practicals and I have taught a number of external candidates for practicals and I made sure they had all the practical work done. I didn't see why my classes should have to do it and then let an external candidate just have their work signed off with no evidence
    QUOTE]

Once the practical element is covered the teacher doesn't have to say you followed the course of study for two years...That's completely your own problem if you're doing subjects out of school. I did Business outside of school last year. I never had a grind and most definately didn't follow the course of study for 2 years but I managed a B1...I don't need a teachers recognition for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

the department have absolutely no objection to an external student doing the practical experiments over 1 or 2 days as long as they are completed properly. They are well aware that some schools don't have the resources to carry out all experiments.

As for having to complete over 2 years, well that's not so. What about all the external students doing 1 subject in the leaving? They dont have to register for the exam until 5 months beforehand so the department recognises students make up their minds not 2 years in advance but that year. They also know that external students can easily cover one course in 3 months and they are fine with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pathway33 wrote: »
    the department have absolutely no objection to an external student doing the practical experiments over 1 or 2 days as long as they are completed properly. They are well aware that some schools don't have the resources to carry out all experiments.

As for having to complete over 2 years, well that's not so. What about all the external students doing 1 subject in the leaving? They dont have to register for the exam until 5 months beforehand so the department recognises students make up their minds not 2 years in advance but that year. They also know that external students can easily cover one course in 3 months and they are fine with this.

I'm not saying you can't complete all your practicals in two days, it's getting a recognised teacher of the subject to sign off is the problem.

Also I examine the practical work for ag science, we do have the paperwork saying students have to have completed their studies under the supervision of a teacher over the 2 year period, probably because it is the teacher that is grading the project .. while I accept that doesn't always happen in reality... it does exist if the department want to get picky.

yes HoboJesus as i understand it the department inspect 5% of schools / candidates but are hoping to increase this.

and if you do get inspected i suppose it might be 50/50 if they get picky with you. but if they do get picky then you are finished :eek: ......so hows your luck?

as a back-up why not sign up for a regular 200 euro repeat leaving cert course and just turn up for the practicals.

let it be said i in no way endorse that suggestion because at the end of the day it is downnright trickery :D

This is a needless comment questioning my attitude in an otherwise very helpful reply. I said stubborn or busy. I'm the latter, albeit voluntarily. You don't know me so trust me when I say my attitude is fine.

Back on topic; I never thought and don't think that I would need a teacher to sign off on the fact that I've actually studied the course, I mean the LC kinda does that for me. As for signing off on practicals, views seem mixed so as has already been suggested I'll send an email or two and try get some official information. I suppose before I look into signing up for practical courses I should find out that such a course would in fact cover me (although it still seems like it will, otherwise all people repeating would just be unable to do a practical-inclusive subject they haven't done before, which is just plain silly).

Anyway, I'll come back with info to clear up the matter, then I can return to looking for a place to actually do the practicals, and get officially vouched for >.<

EDIT:
    as a back-up why not sign up for a regular 200 euro repeat leaving cert course and just turn up for the practicals.

let it be said i in no way endorse that suggestion because at the end of the day it is downnright trickery :D

That'd be a very good backup plan but from what I can tell the repeat schools that go in the evenings tend not to cover the practical stuff. As I said in the OP I can't do anything during the day unless I get unimaginably lucky with my schedule. If anyone knows of any kind of practicals that are done past six, even as part of a proper repeat course, it's a step in the right direction!

am i right in saying you are repeating 4 subjects?

it seems an odd number. if its for matriculation purposes or pure enjoyment or a new challenge then that's fine.

but you know you can't combine different sittings for points - just matriculation

and not even for matriculation if one is going for the new medicine entry

am i right in saying you are repeating 4 subjects?

it seems an odd number. if its for matriculation purposes or pure enjoyment or a new challenge then that's fine.

but you know you can't combine different sittings for points - just matriculation

and not even for matriculation if one is going for the new medicine entry

No, I'm repeating eight to do medicine. I listed four because those are the ones with practicals. Yes, I know I can't combine for points, and in this case for matriculation either, which is pretty annoying. Having to do stupid English again. But that's for another discussion another day :p.

best of luck getting your OD3 in english :D

if you are dedicated to medicine i say dump college and get yourself into a day repeat course

I shouldn't really be answering for HoboJesus, but anyway... yeah he can't drop out of college because if he does he'll lose his scholarship and won't have the first 2 (?) years of medicine paid for, assuming he gets medicine, and continues into it straight after his current degree.
    What a mad one.

ooooooooooooo.........messier than open rectal anatobottomy

I shouldn't really be answering for HoboJesus, but anyway... yeah he can't drop out of college because if he does he'll lose his scholarship and won't have the first 2 (?) years of medicine paid for, assuming he gets medicine, and continues into it straight after his current degree.
    What a mad one.

Aye, this is essentially my situation. And it's the first three years, which is lots and lots of money. Plus if I commit a full-time year to it and it doesn't work out I might kill people.

could you do A-levels or AS levels in the subjects with the practicals and mix 'n match A or AS levels and leaving cert grades?

do you have to get practicals signed off for A or AS levels?

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt you can mix-and-match LC and A-Levels.

how about doing 4 A levels then if theres no practicals?

how about doing medicine in hungary?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I have no suggestions regarding an appropriate provider, but, as regards some of the other comments and suggestions, you might like to refer to the actual regulations from the State Exams Commission, and in particular sections 5(d) and (e) on page 2 of this document:

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/Memorandom_of_Instructions_2008.pdf

(And in relation to repeat students, given the specific instruction in relation to new coursework in 5(d), I would say that the absence of a comparable statement in 5(e) means that one's lab book from the first time around would satisfy the requirement.)

Advertisement