Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mic Noob

Options
  • 21-08-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Real quick question because when it comes to mics, I have no experience at all.
    Rather than spend a lot of time researching mics etc, I'd love to just get an informed bit of advice.
    Something like "See that there, that's the only mic you'll ever need" would be ideal. :D

Am I right in thinking for around 100 euro, a Shure SM-58 would generally be considered the best option for recording vocals?

I don't need anything snazzy but would like to get something of decent quality, within my tight budget.

Lets say I was to go up to about 200 quid for a second-hand mic, - any recommendations?

Thanks! And sorry for sucking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

When you consider a microphone there are many different types and sounds you will get. Words like texture, color, warmth, presence, clarity are all distinct features in different types of microphones. Most microphones will have some of these elements but not all. There are ribbon microphones which have a dense warmth about them and there is condenser microphones which have a sharp clarity to them. If I was on your budget I would go for a sm57 and a sm58 both which can be picked up for less than €99 each. You mat also want to make sure you have phantom power built into your desk. When I started recording I underestimated the differences in microphones but now I know that it is time to get collecting. The right mic for the right instrument is more important than anything. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

As dav nagle says, if you've no mics, then the first two should always be a 57 and a 58.

This is a reasonable enough article

http://audiotuts.com/recording/11-of-the-best-studio-microphones-ever-how-and-when-to-use-them/

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

i dunno to be honest

if its purely for recording vocals i wouldn't go with a dynamic mic

sm57s are great on blaring guitar amps, brass, snares, toms, even kicks, rock/metal vocalists who need a handheld to help deliver there performance, but for decent quality vocals you need the high end that a dynamic won't give you

ok for 100 euro a sm57 would be the best choice, but for 200 i would definitely look at buying a large diaphragm condenser, something like this:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/studio_projects_b3.htm
    or this
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_at3035.htm

dont forget to buy/make a pop shield too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

womoma wrote: »
    Something like "See that there, that's the only mic you'll ever need" would be ideal. :D
    That line has been used to describe SM58's time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for all the replies lads. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna grab some of those old issues of FM I have lying there, and read up about vocal recording and mics.

By the way, I have phantom power in my MBox 2 Pro.

I've been reading up and I get the impression the SM57/58 are more for live recording than intimate vocals?

Ogy, thanks for the recommendations. Elsewhere I was also recommended a Rode NT1. I'll keep an eye on adverts.ie for any of these mics at the right price.

One final nooby and obvious question.- Do I need a valve/tube/preamp gismo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I have said it here many times. The Audix i5 is a wonderful mic on everything.
    It has a very flattering frequency response that just sounds good. My favourite dynamic mic by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

For home recording and mainly vocals or percussion I'd go for a dynamic. If I was doing acoustic guitars and vocals I'd probably try a one of these and a pop shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for all the replies guys! Very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

I have said it here many times. The Audix i5 is a wonderful mic on everything.
    It has a very flattering frequency response that just sounds good. My favourite dynamic mic by a long way.

io just got one , and it does sound great - i love the low end on it
    i have it on the smaller toms and it sings

Advertisement