Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Army has lost all fashion sense.

• 21-08-2008 3:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Walter Mitty section or not...

Given that there's a bit of a war on, the Powers that Are have kept their sense of priorities, and of late there has been a rush to put out new uniforms. Some have been hits, some have not been. The USAF's new camo uniforms are probably not. On the other hand, the Navy's new dress uniforms really do look the part, harkening back to WWII somewhat. Well, not to be outdone, the US Army decided to finally overhaul the Pickle Suits and ice-cream man uniforms which entered service in the 1950s. This is fair enough, the green As were never the most popular uniform, looking a bit cheap and had a rather unfortunate shirt colour, and the white uniforms were just another thing to buy if you were being posted somewhere hot, and nobody will miss them.

After many surveys, including, and I'm not joking, Starfleet uniforms (A whole page of them), it was decided not to replace the greens at all, and just use the Blues for all occasions. Well, I'd have preferred to replace the greens with something like the 1940s era pinks and greens, but anyway. One less uniform to buy. Now, I happen to very much like the Army Blues. I think they're nicer than even the Marine blues, they're pretty elegant, simple, and nod to tradition. But of course, the Army excels at ballsing up a good thing, and I had my worries. Sure enough.

The new Class As/Bs (#1, #2) have been officially determined and authorised.
    081908at_ClassA_female.JPG
    081908at_ClassB_male.JPG

Army makes it official: Green Class A’s done - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

Here's the official letter.
    http://www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/asu-wear-policy.html

They were going to go with a grey shirt until very recently, I think the white just kills it.

NTM

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

both are horrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Holy ****balls.

The trousers being tucked up just look terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well thats my mind made up, If I get a Green Card I'm goin to the Marines!!! That uniform Looks ****e!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

American No2 or No1 dress has never had the appeal of say the British equivalents but this is a nose dive IMO.

Mind you when I was leaving the forces the British were phasing out the issue of No 2 dress and barrack dress and many of the parades are now done in combats. Only ceremonial regiments get No1 dress now and the rest is pooled for when a unit/individual requires the dress.

Its a shame IMO but times move on and I was "Old School" as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They look a bit like they should be parking cars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Saying the US military looses its fashion sense kind of implies it had some in the first place........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Saying the US military looses its fashion sense kind of implies it had some in the first place........:D

Ah I dunno about that.... The USMC Blue Dress A's look pretty damn sharp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I always thought the current US Army blues were better than the USMC blues. Problem is that they 'blingified' the blues to create the new As you see above, and the white-shirt Bs (Especially with the tucks) are horrid.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

The top picture looks like something from the civil war era.:D

The top picture looks like something from the civil war era.:D

It's supposed to.

Current Army Blues
    784px-Army_mil-2007-11-05-091211.jpg

Civil War Blues.
    MovingOut2.jpg

Compare the rectangular rank insignia, light-tone trousers, leg striping. The Army's had Blue uniforms longer than the Marines or Navy.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Oh right thanks.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm curious about the buying uniforms thing. Can you tell us more about that please?

Hagar wrote: »
    I'm curious about the buying uniforms thing. Can you tell us more about that please?

When one joins the US Army as an enlisted soldier, one is given an initial clothing 'bag.' It contains four sets ACUs, seven T-shirts, one Class A jacket, two Class A trousers, five Class A shirts (Two long sleeved, three short-sleeved), one overcoat, yadda-yadda-yadda. Basically everything an enlisted soldier is required to have. This does not include White or Blue Mess Dress, White Service, or Blue Service which are optional uniforms. The enlisted troop is given an annual stipend from which it is expected that they will purchase replacement boots, shirts, whatever for their clothing bag, and maintain their uniforms in good condition, and also purchase unit patches, pay sewing costs, and so on. If they wish to have Blues or whatever, they pay for it on their own. (Or just take very good care of their issued uniforms, and redirect the funds)

Officers have it a bit worse. Given that we're technically not -in- the Army, just in positions of running it, we don't get anything free. We even have to pay for our meals. This also includes our uniforms. When I comissioned, I got an up-front payment of about $450, to cover me the rest of my military career. (Hey, we get paid more, is the excuse). Of course, my Blues alone (which officers are required to have) set me back about that much money, let alone the four sets of ACUs I bought (At about $70 a set), or the Goretex parka ($135). Still, I got it better than most. As I was originally enlisted, I received the clothing bag, which they did not ask for back when I was discharged. Therefore I just needed to pay the conversion cost of sewing on officer's braid, not buying an entire new set of As.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I stand to be corrected but as far as I know both the British and Irish army officers are paid an annual clothing allowance. Although I seem to remember that even today in the elite regiments of the British army you need quite a bit more money than that to pay for all the uniform bits and bobs.

Who are the military tailors for the Irish army nowdays? I seem to remember Burtons at one stage and there was another place in Dame Street?

I'm not really sure about the new US Army uniforms. I like the idea of the blues but somehow it doesn't seem military enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

I stand to be corrected but as far as I know both the British and Irish army officers are paid an annual clothing allowance.
    I know the family of one Commandant very well as our daughters are close friends. His wife told me recently that she put her foot in it at a dinner in the Mess when she mentioned that the officers get the uniform allowance every year.

Apparently it is the done thing to tell the wife that it only comes in every 4 years, and trouser the rest for a new set of golf clubs etc. that the missus has no knowledge of, so she had let the cat out of the bag.

So the payment must be enough to get a new uniform, and now that they use the DPMs all the time the uniforms will last until the grow out of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Blues are quite nice,for the most part.I hate the fact that skill tabs have to be worn as badges and the combat patch is now a badge that goes on your pocket.Terrible idea altogether,looks like ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Priceless, the waist level insignia look terrible.
    I say bring back full civil war dress and just add the modern insignia etc.
    That includes the oversized chevrons.

A dress uniform is precisely that, it should reflect tradition.
    I think a bit of tradition wouldn't go astray with everything becoming more technical and practical; there has to be a bit of pageantry somewhere.

Advertisement