Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista and 4OD/Skyplayer problems

• 20-08-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if re-installing my windows vista home premium would help me with this problem?

I had Sky Anytime and 4 On Demand installed on my laptop and both worked fine for a few days. A couple of days ago i tried to open 4 OD and it wouldnt open and the same happened with Sky Anytime.

I tried to repair the 4 OD but i got an error saying that the program couldnt register the file flash9d.ocx. Sky Anytime didnt give an error message but i assumed its the same problem as it uses the same program.

So i un-installed both programs and flash player and downloaded them again and re-installed them. But still had the same problems. So i deleted the flash9d.ocx thinking i could download it from somewhere again but i couldnt. I've tried re-installing all 3 (flash, sky, 4OD) again but still nothing changed. I aslo tried using Subchnl.exe (i think thats how its spelled) but that couldnt reset my permissions to allow flash player to install properly.

If i re-install windows will it fix this problem or am i missing something simpler that could fix this for me?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Reinstalling Windows would most certainly fix it but to be honest its abit extreme, not idea about sky anytime but last time I used 4OD it used Windows Media Player which was causing errros, I'd suggest repairing IE, reinstalling Windows Media Player and the flash

by the way I split your post off into its own topic as it was more suitable this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

might give a registry scrub-up a shot. download CCleaner and run the registry scanner: just exclude "unused file extensions" from the scan I've had issues with deleting those in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I had problems with 4OD and it turned out that the problem was with the newest version of Media Player, and when I installed the previous version it worked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Grand thanks for the replies. I'll try each of them later when i get home and hopefully it sorts it out.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Reinstalling Windows would most certainly fix it but to be honest its abit extreme, not idea about sky anytime but last time I used 4OD it used Windows Media Player which was causing errros, I'd suggest repairing IE, reinstalling Windows Media Player and the flash

by the way I split your post off into its own topic as it was more suitable this way

I repaired IE and reinstalled flash but i have a laptop with vista pre-installed and WMP11 cant be uninstalled or repaired. After a google search it seems a lot of people have had problems with this version of WMP on Vista.
    Overheal wrote: »
    might give a registry scrub-up a shot. download CCleaner and run the registry scanner: just exclude "unused file extensions" from the scan I've had issues with deleting those in the past.

Tried this also and it didnt change any thing.
    jw297 wrote: »
    I had problems with 4OD and it turned out that the problem was with the newest version of Media Player, and when I installed the previous version it worked again.

I dont think i can get a previous version, i checked microsofts website and all the previous versions are for XP.

I think i'll just re-install windows vista and hopefully that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Soundman wrote: »

Tried downloading versions 11 and 10 but both times i got a message telling me a more recent version of wmp has already being installed.

Would it work if i just deleted everything to do with wmp from vista's program files?

Advertisement