Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Printer Advice

• 21-08-2008 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new printer/multi-function at the moment and i'm looking for some advice.

The printer's for a home setup. My main concerns are the cost of ink and also a networkable printer is preferred.

With that in mind, the printer that stands out in my mind is this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343058 The ink seems very reasonable and it ticks the boxes as such.

Firstly, can anyone suggest anything similar in the same/lower price range? (I realise that that's probably as low as it goes for a network printer)

And secondly, is there anything to watch out for with Epsons? Viking Direct have the ink at about 30 quid for all 4 cartridges, I assume these's will last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You could save yourself a handful by not having to get a network enabled printer if you have a family computer that is always on.

Just install it on that pc and then share it around the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You could save yourself a handful by not having to get a network enabled printer if you have a family computer that is always on.

Just install it on that pc and then share it around the network.

Yea I realise that, but unfortunately it's not really practical to have the printer by the family computer due to its location, and that's why I'm hoping to have a network job.

I suppose the other option is to hook it up to some form of server, but I don't have anything that fits the bill at the moment (my linux file server is a celeron 333, so would be barely up for the job, i don't really fancy printing via parallel and i think it'd be more trouble than it's worth trying to get it all running smoothly, I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to get it working)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Epsons are quite good, I have a R360 myself, compatibles work good quality, sometimes need a few installs to get recognised (For my one anyways), €30 for a set of 4 carts seems good value so yeah I think that sounds ok, Canons also have a reputation for having genuine cheap cartriges so they might also be worth a look

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

your celeron 333 should be more than capable as a print server as well as a file server.... just install a pci card with usb 2.0 ports on it and no more worries about parallel ports

i used to use an old pentium II 233mhz as a file/plot server before i replaced it with my current file/plot server (it still has an a3 colour inkjet attached to it via usb & used to have my old a0 hp plotter attached to it but that has since been replaced with a new a0 plotter) rest of printers are now on ethernet connections

Advertisement