Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest check-out assistants in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I had occasion to stop in Dunnes yesterday in Charleville, County Cork and I have to say the middle-aged english gentleman who served me at the check out was the most pleasant shop assistant I have ever met.

It was a refreshing change from those people who usually stare blankly right through you as youre receiving your change, and dont even say "thanks, bye". (They usually wear Olympic-sized rings on their ears)

So my vote goes to the jolly guy in Dunnes Stores Charleville! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I thought this was gonna be a hot chick picture thread.

/me wanders off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Theres an old-ish chap in the Tesco petrol station in Clonmel and I've never met anyone as cheerful as him, any time of the day/night he's always the same.

Plus he talks to the customers half in English and Half in Irish which is pretty amusing at times.

EDIT:
    Actually another for the list. One of the checkout/canteen ladies in the WIT Industrial Estate campus. I dont want to go naming names but if you've been in there you should know who she is. She's got a real friendly air to her (your on first name terms after two visits) and a bit of a Mrs. Doyle attitude to her as well -

Lady: Do you want a bit more of anything on that ?
    c - 13: Ah, no I think that should be ....
    Lady: Ah you will, a bit more of everything ... there we are

She's often heard screaming from out the back when she sees someone she recognises at the counter "Make sure you give X more chips there Mary, or ill kick the arse off you !"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How many jobs has this guy got? No wonder he's happy - with multiple pay-cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There is a very nice and friend blonde Polish {I think} girl working in SuperValu on the Aston Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

chamlis wrote: »

/me wanders off

I am equally disappointed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Yeah. bollocks to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I use to be such a nice assistant when i was working in dixons a long time ago

but through lack of appreciation and general loss of faith in people i became one of them and stopped being nice. it made me no extra money and didnt seem to brighten anyone's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

Pair of right miserable gits work in the shop at Connolly Station:mad:
    They must work 24/7 always there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

I worked in a clothes shop for 2 years and I think I was absolutely charming 98% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In some random shop I was in, probably in the middle of nowhere (think it was in Hospital or Bruff in Limerick)

(middle aged female shop assistant)
    "Hello Handsome, how are you"
    (me taken aback) "fine thanks"
    (hands me change whilst smiles and looks in my eyes)
    "take care now!"

• Advertisement

I had occasion to stop in Dunnes yesterday in Charleville, County Cork and I have to say the middle-aged english gentleman who served me at the check out was the most pleasant shop assistant I have ever met.

It was a refreshing change from those people who usually stare blankly right through you as youre receiving your change, and dont even say "thanks, bye". (They usually wear Olympic-sized rings on their ears)

So my vote goes to the jolly guy in Dunnes Stores Charleville! :D

I bet you went home and had relations with your fruit bowl after that little trip. Ya durty fecker :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I remember i used to be a nice lad when i worked in an internet cafe but after a while the work got depressing and i developed a hatred working for chinese people and customers in general :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Nice chinese fella in spar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a malaysian guy what works in the Spar on nassau st,very efficient and is always in a good mood.
    The rest of the staffa re usually okay too.
    I tend to find if you get one cranky wanker in a shop it rubs off on the rest of them and they all start behaving like crabby ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Nice chinese fella in spar.

All the spars? i hope he's paid well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Centra on north king street seem to have more than their fair share of pleasant staff. There is the romanian girl who works in the deli, a really nice genuine person, the chinese girl who works on the till in the evenings and an indian or pakistani chap as well, smallish guy who's always smiling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

/me wanders off

So did I, but once I saw Charleville mentioned I knew that there would be no hot girlies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I use to be such a nice assistant when i was working in dixons a long time ago

but through lack of appreciation and general loss of faith in people i became one of them and stopped being nice. it made me no extra money and didnt seem to brighten anyone's day.

Unfortunately this is so true. I used to be like this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I think if you are going to work in a place where your serving customers you have to be nice ! Supervalu in Wicklow have a problem their afternoon staff have a total attitude problem it totally turned me off going there as for Tesco they are so nice and will give you a hand in packing bags Even Lidi have good staff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Dunnes in Blessington annoys the crap outta me, they take forever!! Its like they're doing you a favour!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

M&S in Dundrum are the friendliest I've met.. Very pleasant..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah I'm always shocked particularly at the checkouts in the food section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

On Daybreak on College Road in Cork there's a girl behind the deli from somewhere in Eastern Europe.
    Anyway, she usually looks grumpy and makes sandwiches/rolls without smiling. But she's served me so often now that I always get a smile off her, and once even a wink! ;)

If I wasn't so hideously unattractive, I'd think she fancied me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

There's a lovely fella working in Dunnes in Stephen's Green in the restaurant and he is the only happy person I've ever seen working in any Dunnes ever.

He's actually lovely! Smiles and makes eye contact and a bit of banter, he's just a sweetheart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Self-service check-outs FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

On Daybreak on College Road in Cork there's a girl behind the deli from somewhere in Eastern Europe.
    Anyway, she usually looks grumpy and makes sandwiches/rolls without smiling. But she's served me so often now that I always get a smile off her, and once even a wink! ;)

If I wasn't so hideously unattractive, I'd think she fancied me.

For Boardsies that like to "fix" other peoples' posts, I can see a golden opportunity within the body of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I find the people in M&S are the friendliest in general, and it's not put-on. I always notice it when I'm in there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jigsaw wrote: »
    For Boardsies that like to "fix" other peoples' posts, I can see a golden opportunity within the body of this post.

By all means fix it yourself.

Go on. You know you want to :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Im always nice to the customers even help pack their bags even the narky feckers.:DEspecially the narky ones cause it annoys them even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Londis, north main street in Cork. I think they're practicing their english in there or something, for whatever reason they're ridiculously chatty and friendly. I learned about world hot chocolate day in there :D

Advertisement