Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a timer on existing immersion

Options
  • 21-08-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Is it easy enough to fit a timer on an existing immersion in the hotpress. Presuming it goes onto the switch? Would the switch have to be replaced? The house is 9 years old.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yes it's easy if you know what you are doing. The switch is usually left in place and the timer added separately. The immersion elements draw a reasonably high current so there is a fairly good chance of starting a fire if the timeswitch is not up to the job, or wired incorrectly, and there is always the risk of electrocution if the circuit is not properly isolated before starting work.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you have to ask this question then I'd suggest you get an electrician in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If it's just a single immerser then the easy way would be to replace the switch with a switched socket, and put a plug on the immerser cable. Then all you need is a plug in timer from the local DIY store and you're away. Just make sure that the timer can take the high current that the immerser will draw. If the immerser is a dual type with a switch that allows you a "sink" and a "bath" setting, then you could again fit a wall socket and use a DIY store timer, but this time the plug would need to be wired into the wall switch rather than directly to the immerser. Word of warning though -- unless you are a qualified electrician you are no longer permitted to carry out domestic electrical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Oh absolutley, I would be getting an Electrician to do the job! No argument there! The other half could not and would not, replace a light bulb! So any jobs that have to be done around my house, its always a case of "get a man to that dear!" if you know what I mean!!! And at the end of the day, when you do get the `professional` at least you are more or less guaranteed it will work!!!!:o

Pete67 wrote: »
    Yes it's easy if you know what you are doing. The switch is usually left in place and the timer added separately. The immersion elements draw a reasonably high current so there is a fairly good chance of starting a fire if the timeswitch is not up to the job, or wired incorrectly, and there is always the risk of electrocution if the circuit is not properly isolated before starting work.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you have to ask this question then I'd suggest you get an electrician in.

ART6 wrote: »
    If it's just a single immerser then the easy way would be to replace the switch with a switched socket, and put a plug on the immerser cable. Then all you need is a plug in timer from the local DIY store and you're away. Just make sure that the timer can take the high current that the immerser will draw. If the immerser is a dual type with a switch that allows you a "sink" and a "bath" setting, then you could again fit a wall socket and use a DIY store timer, but this time the plug would need to be wired into the wall switch rather than directly to the immerser. Word of warning though -- unless you are a qualified electrician you are no longer permitted to carry out domestic electrical work.

Thanks for that. Sorry I should have put it on my original post, that I would be getting an Electrician to do the job! I suppose what I meant to ask was, would it be a BIG job.... would the Electrician have to empty tank. But now I am thinking it is just a case of switching of the electrical supply and installing the timer. Yes, it is a dual immersion, sink and bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

If it's just a single immerser then the easy way would be to replace the switch with a switched socket, and put a plug on the immerser cable. Then all you need is a plug in timer from the local DIY store and you're away. Just make sure that the timer can take the high current that the immerser will draw. If the immerser is a dual type with a switch that allows you a "sink" and a "bath" setting, then you could again fit a wall socket and use a DIY store timer, but this time the plug would need to be wired into the wall switch rather than directly to the immerser.

Plug in timers are usually only rated for few amps, and are only intended for use on lamps. The proper way to to this job is to replace the existing switch with an proper immersion time switch. It's a straightforward job.

Word of warning though -- unless you are a qualified electrician you are no longer permitted to carry out domestic electrical work.

Really?

PS There is a dedicated electrical forum now!

• Advertisement

Plug in timers are usually only rated for few amps, and are only intended for use on lamps. The proper way to to this job is to replace the existing switch with an proper immersion time switch. It's a straightforward job.

Really?

PS There is a dedicated electrical forum now!

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Don't ever do this. It's bad advice on so many different levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Supply and fit of Flash or APT timer shouldn't exceed €100.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some timers have a 24 hour timer for the "bath" element, and a "boost" timer for the sink element, which is handy. I've a Grasslin one like this (called E7 or something),and it works good. Horstmann have a similar one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

^ +1 on the Grasslin. Mighty bit of kit. Quite difficult to get a properly rated timer with support for bath/sink.
    Word of warning though -- unless you are a qualified electrician you are no longer permitted to carry out domestic electrical work.

Since when? Streuth, this ain't Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭carveone

I hope this isn't true. When the plumbers replaced my parents immersion heater, I deemed the electrical work so hazardous I ripped it out and redid it. I mean honestly, a 1/2 inch gap between the switch cover and the patress! WTF! That's qualified is it.

Having said that, if you are renting in any shape I'd get a RECI guy to do or at least inspect the work.
    Don't ever do this. It's bad advice on so many different levels!
    If it's just a single immerser then the easy way would be to replace the switch with a switched socket, and put a plug on the immerser cable.

What's the heater power? 3/4kW is what it says on mine. I interpret that as 3KW for the Sink and 4 for the bath. That's 18 amps. How about, um, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

. Word of warning though -- unless you are a qualified electrician you are no longer permitted to carry out domestic electrical work.

That is very interesting.

What is the authority for this statement ? Is there a statutory instrument or a statute ?

BTW I am not challenging your statement. I am just curious to pin down the source.

Did they introduce something like this in the UK a few years ago ?

Will electrical wholesalers now only sell to tradespeople ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dave.c

hey
    i may be wrong but e7 timclocks are for immersions
    but only for house/apt with storage heating{you dont have full control and 24 hour use}
    please dont just get a timer you can can plug in.
    an immersion is a fixed appliance and must have
    double pole isolation,
    dont trust greslin hundreds have been recalled maybe they are
    ok now, i wouldnt use one
    one i trust is the apt easy to use and work with
    and well able for the job

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

"Qualified Electrician"? - I'd be careful! Get someone you know. I had a "qualified electrician" (properly certified etc.) who made at least THREE hazardous mistakes in my house. In fact he was so bad that when the E.S.B. came to turn the main power back on (and refused because of the mistakes) they questioned whether I had done the job myself! The immersion was one area he completly botched (bypassing both the normal and overheat thermostats so that the element remained on all the time, boiling the water...). Now I do things myself!

I'm not so sure if it's law now to have a qualified electrician do work such as your immersion heater timer. It should be easy enough with the right kit, proper instructions (probably included), and the power off! Just make sure that if you have a dual element immersion (i.e. BATH/SINK) that you get a switch capable of supporting dual elements. (all of the timer switches I saw in my local Woodies only supported single element immersions)

FYI, some timers made 2006/2007 (I can't remember which manufacturer) were recalled bacause of a fire hazard (!) so check their websites and look out for recall notices posted in stores...

I wouldn't go down the plugin timer route - sounds a bit dodgy and probably wouldn't be compliant...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Pauley2 wrote: »
    FYI, some timers made 2006/2007 (I can't remember which manufacturer) were recalled bacause of a fire hazard (!) so check their websites and look out for recall notices posted in stores...
    Just did a search there, and you're right. It was the Grasslin QE7, due to faulty backplate. This doesn't affect its successor, the QE7+, which is thankfully what I have.
    http://www.grasslin-controls.co.uk/~sa_webapp/run.asp?page=260

Another timer, recalled earlier this year after a fire, is some Greenbrook models.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7234795.stm

Advertisement