Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG Atlantis Cancelled

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hmm while this is a shame as I did love the programme, its not the worst news like, we have basically been promised atlantis movies so it could be a lot worse. Looking forward to seeing how season 5 plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

don ramo wrote: »
    its a strange one for sci-fi really, ending atlantis and BSG together will deffinately hit there ratings, they better hope universe and caprica do well,

sure we all saw this coming, atlantis broke the trend when they got the 5th season, its was the first sci-fi original series to push past the 4 season mark,

this really sucks major ass, although the show hasnt been the same since season 2, but i still love it to pieces, rodney is the best, they should get him for universe

although it was not mentioned on gateworld this was said onthe tv.com release

"and that the cast will be new, with a possibility that a familiar face may show up. " - you never know, could be him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

User45701 wrote: »

"and that the cast will be new, with a possibility that a familiar face may show up. " - you never know, could be him

that would be class:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

User45701 wrote: »

No I dont think so by that they meant they will bring in an actor that people are familiar with like Richard Dean Anderson everyone knew him before SG-1...

However with Atlantis all the actors were all pretty new I didnt know who Joe Flanigan was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I like that program, scabby that they are pulling the plub before syndication.

• Advertisement

I like that program, scabby that they are pulling the plub before syndication.

actually the final episode will be episode 100, 5 seasons 20 eps each, see how smart they are, they wanted to make there money off the franchise, so they done the bare minimun to milk it for all its worth, and leave the fans with noting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldnt say nothing, they are leaving on a high (which is always good) and they basically have said that movies have guranteed. It could be a lot worse, think about the poor firefly fans...

1huge1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say nothing, they are leaving on a high (which is always good) and they basically have said that movies have guranteed. It could be a lot worse, think about the poor firefly fans...

sure they got a film,

true though they are leaving on a high thus all the comotion,

but it is a shame we didnt get more character development, they kinda half built some cracters, shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've just watched all of season 4 on boxset and to be honest, it wasn't great. They just seem to have run out of ideas e.g.
    - the whole Tayla and her baby thingy is booooooring.
    - Carter as the new commander who never seems to be around and when she is, gives a half hearted performance
    - killing off the Replicators (again!!)
    - the wraith are our friends now, no they're not, yes they are, no they're not.....
    - the city is trying to kill us again, e.g. the lockdown and self destruct about to go off, the lockdown due to the mind wiping virus etc

This series started off on a great premise. The Wraith were better, nastier, more vicious villains than the G'oauld as they sucked the life out of people - bit like modern day vampires. The cliff hanger at the end of series 1 was brilliant with the battle between the Wraith and the humans at Atlantis. This whole Wraith/Human conflict could have led Stargate down a more darker, sinister road but they bottled it and it became a take it or leave it series, with flimsy characters, boring love scenes (McKay is supposed to be a smartarse, not a bumbling teenager having his first crush), boring episodes like the one with the 10 year old princess who has to go on a quest to be the queen.

While I have been a fan of Stargate since the original motion picture, the series has lost its way and perhaps its time to wrap it up once and for all.............unless they bring in new writers with fresh ideas to re invigorate the show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll agree that S4 wasn't the best but I think S5 is showing greater promise. I also think that Wolsey, for all the little time we've had him, is the commander that Atlantis should always have had - he works really well and it's a shame Picardo's tenure will be cut short.

• Advertisement

I'd agree that Picardo might have given a sharper edge to the whole civilian/military interaction in Atlantis due to his prickly nature but is it a case of too little, too late? Weir was a useless character, far too weak for the role that she was supposed to play and she should have been done away with much sooner like the superfluous Rainbow Franks. Weir didn't have the necessary gravitas to be a commander, i.e. she was no General George Hammond, as she didn't have the presence of being a real leader nor did she appear to have the respect of her subordinates. As for Carter, well its obvious, Amanda Tapping had her eye on another project and thus wasn't able/prepared to give her all to Atlantis as proven by her absence from a lot of episodes and her leaving after just one season.

Tayla too is becoming very annoying and would be given the chop if its up to me. The whole mystical edge thats seeping into her character is boring.

Ronan appears to be a man without a fight, all built up testosterone with no place to go. I think he could have been given a sense of humour to flesh out his character more.

Shepard and McKay are the only consistent performers on the show with the necessary leadership/cunning plans qualities respectively.

Jewel Staite was a nice addition to the show and more than made up for Carson's exit.

However, they have run out of good ideas for the show. The Wraith just don't appear to be the ultimate fearsome baddies that they once were, possibly to ensure a suitable rating for the show in the US? Pity as I would have like to see more horror as the Wraith feed on helpless humans/Atlantis staff similar to the pilot where the Marine Colonel was capture and fed upon until Shepard shot him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Weir was a useless character, far too weak for the role that she was supposed to play and she should have been done away with much sooner like the superfluous Rainbow Franks. Weir didn't have the necessary gravitas to be a commander, i.e. she was no General George Hammond, as she didn't have the presence of being a real leader nor did she appear to have the respect of her subordinates.
    Agreed, I never really liked Weir. She seemed the sort of person who should head up a quango or somesuch and not what was, for all real purposes, a military outpost.

I think the problem with Weir was that she never seemed to have any force to her personality - her decisions often seemed based on personal feelings rather than rational decision. It really showed up against Hammond who was a great commander and would take tough decisions when required (e.g. calling off missions to look for missing SG1 personnel despite his own feelings).
    Weir also lacked on screen presence, something that's hard to pin point. I think it's something Landry lacked too, which is what made him a very unworthy successor to Hammond.
    As for Carter, well its obvious, Amanda Tapping had her eye on another project and thus wasn't able/prepared to give her all to Atlantis as proven by her absence from a lot of episodes and her leaving after just one season.
    I blame Sci-Fi for that. She was committed by contract for another season so I'm guessing they just shoved her into the role in a stupid bid to drag in SG1 viewers. It didn't work - she's foremost a scientist and making her a commander was pretty non-sensible. She works in a team capacity and not a leader and it definitely showed as the writers struggled to fit her in.
    Wolsey, as I've said, makes for a far better commander - his involvement with the IOD which oversees the base means his command makes sense.

He's got less personal involvement with the program and team and he's not afraid to ruffle feathers and make the right call. Much more interesting but all too late alas. I hope the season continues to see him him stick to some of his core convictions and not just constantly bend over backwards to accommodate the team's wishes.
    Tayla too is becoming very annoying and would be given the chop if its up to me. The whole mystical edge thats seeping into her character is boring.
    Never really liked her. I find the "my people believe" shtick irritating and the SuperBaby plot line tedious.
    Ronan appears to be a man without a fight, all built up testosterone with no place to go. I think he could have been given a sense of humour to flesh out his character more.
    For all that you're correct, I still like Ronan. I think Momoa just about injects the right qualities into him, for all that they are.
    However, they have run out of good ideas for the show. The Wraith just don't appear to be the ultimate fearsome baddies that they once were, possibly to ensure a suitable rating for the show in the US? Pity as I would have like to see more horror as the Wraith feed on helpless humans/Atlantis staff similar to the pilot where the Marine Colonel was capture and fed upon until Shepard shot him.
    Ah yes, the Wraith seemed to get easier and easier to defeat as time went by. They lacked the raw horrific strength and fear that they had in the first season - recall the tension as the wraith came for them. Now it seems all too easy to get rid of them.

I always felt one of the disadvantages with them is how they were faceless - the Goa'uld worked so well because we could put a personality to the bet of them in Apophis, Anubis, Ba'al, Hathor, etc. The one equivalent we have is Michael, whose character I like, but who they haven't really developed into a great villain yet - he seems more like a renegade scientist currently.

There's still potential there and I always feel they're on the verge of realising it but it's still not a brilliant show, only a show I really enjoy...

Looks like we are in general agreement then.

Atlantis will go down as a series that could have been great but came up short. Pity as I believe they had a great initial idea (i.e. a one way mission to another galaxy with a fairly horrific enemy to boot) but they watered it down over the course of the 4 series to date. Perhaps being able to keep in contact with Stargate command was the downfall and when they were no longer cut off from regular supplies/reinforcements, the sense of danger from being all alone in the Pegasus galaxy diminished. Michael is a good character (Conner Trinneer was my favoutite actor in Enterprise which was another series that had great promise but fell apart from poor storylines) but as he doesn't look fully wraith, he hasn't got that yuck factor about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ixoy wrote: »
    Agreed, I never really liked Weir. She seemed the sort of person who should head up a quango or somesuch and not what was, for all real purposes, a military outpost.
    Keep in mind it was meant to be a civilian post...I think Weir had alot more potential then she was given credit for.
    Ioxy wrote:
    Wolsey, as I've said, makes for a far better commander - his involvement with the IOD which oversees the base means his command makes sense. He's got less personal involvement with the program and team and he's not afraid to ruffle feathers and make the right call. Much more interesting but all too late alas. I hope the season continues to see him him stick to some of his core convictions and not just constantly bend over backwards to accommodate the team's wishes.
    Also, while I agree that Woolsey is much better suited to the role, I can't shake what/who he used to be. The Woolsey we met in season 7 of SG-1 compared to the Woolsey we have in Atlantis...or even the Woolsey we met in season 9 is just too different for my liking. It's a transition not believable even in the mot fictitious sci fi!

I don't know why the haven't given more dimension to Ronin still...look at how much Teal'c changed in three/four years, and compare that to Ronin.
    He really has no attributed other than being tough.
    And no-one likes Teyla....
    Ioxy wrote:
    Ah yes, the Wraith seemed to get easier and easier to defeat as time went by. They lacked the raw horrific strength and fear that they had in the first season - recall the tension as the wraith came for them. Now it seems all too easy to get rid of them.
    Another huge flaw...the only reasoning I can ascertain is that, like the Ori, the writers wrote these guys to be too powerful, and then had to write up episodes of them being defeated every week by our heroes.
    It just couldn't work convincingly.
    I always felt one of the disadvantages with them is how they were faceless - the Goa'uld worked so well because we could put a personality to the bet of them in Apophis, Anubis, Ba'al, Hathor, etc.
    To be honest, I always thought that was a great characteristic of the Wraith in season 1.
    Not knowing anything about them or who/what they were added a great twist to the enemy.
    Now we know everything about them, and frankly, the explanations of alot of their mysteries, are dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AtlantisCancelledSig3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Overheal wrote: »
    AtlantisCancelledSig3.png
    nice touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why dont they just find a few ZPM's, boot up the star drive and bring Atlantis back to earth !?

There is a classic ending for ya

Some poor west of ireland fisherman goes out for a morning fish and finds a brand new floating civilisation in the best bit of the Atlantic !

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why dont they just find a few ZPM's, boot up the star drive and bring Atlantis back to earth !?

Some poor west of ireland fisherman goes out for a morning fish and finds a brand new floating civilisation in the best bit of the Atlantic !

The Shell 2 Sea campaigners would object to it!!!!:p:D:D:D

The Shell 2 Sea campaigners would object to it!!!!:p:D:D:D

POTM

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

MugMugs wrote: »

They'll probably just classify it as one of the Arann Islands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement