Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda and ANPR

• 21-08-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

saw in the paper a couple of weeks back that 104(or something like that)
    were getting ANPR. I was wondering if any officers have used, seen or heard of these coming into operation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

donvito99 wrote: »
    saw in the paper a couple of weeks back that 104(or something like that)
    were getting ANPR. I was wondering if any officers have used, seen or heard of these coming into operation?

Why? You getting worried? ;)

Its on the way, dont know when yet but it will eventually arrive. I think theres some snags with ensuring the information on the database is always suitable up to date first and similar little things.

Then again, isnt that what the toll free thing is going too be using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Then again, isnt that what the toll free thing is going too be using?

And they freely admit it will misread plates and miss more. Sounds about right. No sign of them yet for us.

Karlito, your sigpic isn't working for some reason.

Joker wrote: »
    And they freely admit it will misread plates and miss more. Sounds about right. No sign of them yet for us.

Karlito, your sigpic isn't working for some reason.

Yeah saw that, talk about giving people ideas! :rolleyes:

What worries me is if your a very casual user of the tolls like I am and you go through without a tag it sends you a bill but you only have 48 hourw to pay before they issue proceedings. WTF? What if your on holidays, etc?

BTW, I stopped paying so my extra user rights are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

ANPR is the way forward for AGS. We've been using it here for a while and most forces now have dedicated Traffic ANPR Intercept Teams (i.e the awfully named 'Police Interceptors'). It has proven its worth in next to no time. Very handy piece of kit. It works well here because the PNC (police national computer) is a very well maintained database of criminal offenders, vehicles, plant, firearms etc etc plus its tied into the driving license, tax, mot, insurance, HM Customs and some 'other' databases.

Don't know what the Garda equivalent is, but thats the key to an effective ANPR setup; its only as good as the database its scanning against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

metman wrote: »
    ANPR is the way forward for AGS. We've been using it here for a while and most forces now have dedicated Traffic ANPR Intercept Teams (i.e the awfully named 'Police Interceptors'). It has proven its worth in next to no time. Very handy piece of kit. It works well here because the PNC (police national computer) is a very well maintained database of criminal offenders, vehicles, plant, firearms etc etc plus its tied into the driving license, tax, mot, insurance, HM Customs and some 'other' databases.

Don't know what the Garda equivalent is, but thats the key to an effective ANPR setup; its only as good as the database its scanning against.
    Tenner says PULSE will crash in the first 10 mins of ANPR being operational
    Yeah saw that, talk about giving people ideas! :rolleyes:

What worries me is if your a very casual user of the tolls like I am and you go through without a tag it sends you a bill but you only have 48 hourw to pay before they issue proceedings. WTF? What if your on holidays, etc?

BTW, I stopped paying so my extra user rights are gone.

Battening down the hatches for the recession are we?

• Advertisement

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Tenner says PULSE will crash in the first 10 mins of ANPR being operational

Battening down the hatches for the recession are we?

well Michael O'Leary said I dont deserve a new wage agreement so it seemed prudent :)

The issue with ANPR and Pulse is the insurance information isnt updated everytime someone renews as the information is with private companies and not government like tax is. Once thats sorted out they can start looking at this. Were ready to roll in all other regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I was wondering if ANPR will be operational with all the new releases of PULSE of late. I estimate there has been about 3-4 this year alone.

I would love to see on board computers with the facility to check vehicles and people. I read somewhere that when it was brought into the American police forces the actual checks done increased dramatically. Better than having to bother the auld SO especially when theres a Section 4 prisoner in or court day

TheNog wrote: »
    I read somewhere that when it was brought into the American police forces the actual checks done increased dramatically. Better than having to bother the auld SO especially when theres a Section 4 prisoner in or court day

Maybe it was this you read? I think I posted this before (alcohol kills brain cells though, so I can't be sure). The facility to do a check on the MDT makes life a lot easier and has dramatically increased the number of checks done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Maybe it was this you read? I think I posted this before (alcohol kills brain cells though, so I can't be sure). The facility to do a check on the MDT makes life a lot easier and has dramatically increased the number of checks done.

yup thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your on holidays you shouldn't be driving here:D and if you are driving here on hols you can stop at a payzone shop and pay. You can register you reg with e-flow.ie and create a video account where the money comes off automaticly.

Yeah ANPR would be great but that would mean that all the info is correct, and from reading threads here it doesn't appear that it is.

• Advertisement

I think Karlito meant what if you go on holiday when your ticket lands on your doorstep.

Yup lots of people travel up from the country to fly out of dublin airport, what road do they use, yes you guessed it the m50, granted the spar in the car park atrium is a payzone shop but still if your rushing to make a flight your hardly going to think of it are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I still laugh at the amount of foreign vehicles that will get away with it. Not to mention the crooks who'll cover their front number plate in dirt or remove it altogether in order to avoid paying the toll..

To my understanding it's going to be a system that will decrease revenues and will only send the bottleneck further up the motorway.

It's going to be a tricky one for the dubs. I for one will be driving through the city in the future. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Traffic Corps in Galway have have front and rear facing ANPR cameras in one of their cars for some time now! Having seen it working, i must say it is a great job! Again, the only problem with it is that PULSE is not always up to date and that the ANPR computer in the car needs to be updated by hand from a PULSE machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

by hand ,thats mad. Still glad to hear we have ANPR in place. I know that there are also two GATSO vans in the garda fleet, any one ever been involved in an operation or seen one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

donvito99 wrote: »
    by hand ,thats mad. Still glad to hear we have ANPR in place. I know that there are also two GATSO vans in the garda fleet, any one ever been involved in an operation or seen one?

there was one in wexford a while back, powerfull things, and you wouldnt guess their garda either, old high roffed style transit!

See it all the time, if you know what you looking for you can spot it a mile off, plus it has usual haunts, obviouley not going to go shout them around the place, if you know you know, doesnt matter shouldnt be speeding in the first place

I think Karlito meant what if you go on holiday when your ticket lands on your doorstep.

I knew what he ment thats why I had the :D. But there is more then 1 way to pay. You can pay by phone or on the net. They have a great website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

they have a silver renault van also.saw it here in donegal for a while.you never would pay any attention to it,whereas the white transit stands out.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I knew what he ment thats why I had the :D. But there is more then 1 way to pay. You can pay by phone or on the net. They have a great website.

I tried signing up before a few weeks ago but it wouldnt let me sign up online and the FAQ said that you couldnt actually register online yet but it was coming soon.

Whatever choice you use, someone that uses the toll once a year should be given more than 48 bloody hours to pay up, you get 56 days with a Garda fine and something like 28 days for a county council or dublin bus one.

Its just going to result in letters being posted out, court dates and annoyed judges telling them to cop on a give people reasonable time.

• Advertisement

I tried signing up before a few weeks ago but it wouldnt let me sign up online and the FAQ said that you couldnt actually register online yet but it was coming soon.

Whatever choice you use, someone that uses the toll once a year should be given more than 48 bloody hours to pay up, you get 56 days with a Garda fine and something like 28 days for a county council or dublin bus one.

Its just going to result in letters being posted out, court dates and annoyed judges telling them to cop on a give people reasonable time.

True and hopefully so many people won't pay it'll collaspe and we all get away for free.

You can register now (still waiting on my tag tho :()

Yea the time limit is silly

Advertisement