Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poroton blocks

• 21-08-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi.

Has any one got experience of using these blocks or had a house/extension constructed from same.

I am thinking of using them in an extension I wish to build. I had one builder who told me that if they were any good they would have been used her 40 years ago. I think thats a bit unfair, as we probably do not have enough good quality clay to make they while we have unknown amounts of sand and gravel.

<Snip> Read the charter.

Comments would be appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Damian

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

havent had personal experience of them, but i have spoken to a client who wanted to build with them but after visiting two sites on which they were used he said he wouldnt go near them. Blocklayers tend to be 'less than exact' when cutting them and large gaps between blocks are filled with mortar, completely contrary to the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

On paper they are a good product but Irish trades have a long way to come before we are able to use them, we still arent able to build exactly enough to use prefab doors. In this country we still like the concrete too much, its messy and sloppy but it wont fall down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Slig wrote: »
    ............but it wont fall down.

or cost a fiver each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Had a design ready to use this product on, had a builder ready to use it. When I priced the material including wastage I got a shock. The client went for cavity blockwork instead and saved €4,600. It was a 3,200 sq ft house.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Had a design ready to use this product on, had a builder ready to use it. When I priced the material including wastage I got a shock. The client went for cavity blockwork instead and saved €4,600. It was a 3,200 sq ft house.

surely you mean €46,000....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

Slig wrote: »
    On paper they are a good product but Irish trades have a long way to come before we are able to use them, we still arent able to build exactly enough to use prefab doors. In this country we still like the concrete too much, its messy and sloppy but it wont fall down.

i think sometimes we can be too hard on our own trades men ,there's some damn fine builders out there and some hatchet men...a lot of hatchet men.
    but the poroton houses i seen built were built by polish and other eastern europeans and believe me i really couldnt see many irish getting them as rough,so much it put me off as these were the people going to instruct my choice of blocklayers.even during a trip to poland i looked at the building work and some standards were worse than any thrown up development over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

ollie30 wrote: »
    but the poroton houses i seen built were built by polish and other eastern europeans and believe me i really couldnt see many irish getting them as rough,so much it put me off as these were the people going to instruct my choice of blocklayers.even during a trip to poland i looked at the building work and some standards were worse than any thrown up development over here.

Agreed.

I was over in Slovakia last month and the standard of building with poroton blocks was awful. Not a straight edge to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Thanks guys, no positive comments there them. Looks like the end of that idea.

Advertisement